1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Went For An Oil Change, Told I'm Getting A New 6spd Transmission

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoTrooper, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jul 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    I took my 2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 6spd into the dealer today for one of the free "extended warranty" oil changes. Since I was there I mentioned a sound I hear whenever the truck rolls over bumps with the clutch disengaged fully (clutch pedal to the floor). Currently sitting at 16000km.

It is a clacking sound that I pinned on the driveshaft. It has been making the sound since new, but I originally attributed to a different truck. My 2004 Chev Silverado was pretty solid and I honestly thought, smaller, dinkier Toyota drive shift was "normal" to hear.

I don't roll around with the clutch depressed unless I"m shifting or near stop, so its not like the sound is heard all the time.

I expect some movement and sounds attributed to the driveshaft as it accounts for suspension movement, but the sound is quite loud and noticeable by people on the street. I drive and shift pretty smoothly, so it's not an amateur, can't drive a stick shift, issue either (honestly ;) )

The dealer indulged and I went along for a test drive with the mechanic. He also heard the sound and thought it may be loose skid plates (of which I didn't think I even had -- does the TRD sport have skid plates included?).

Long and short, when I got returned later they informed me that it was the driveshaft making the sound where it meets the transmission. They said there is a LOT of play in it and they had never seen one like it before. The dealer didn't have any other 6spd Tacoma's to compare to, and went ahead and ordered a new transmission. They want to install and see if the problem goes away.

Has anyone heard of this before. I did a search and found a few similar observations but no solutions posted.

For now, they say the truck is safe to drive. The issue is only when the clutch is fully engaged and I drive over any washboard pavement, speed bumps, etc. My friend with the same truck says they have never heard that type of sound from their truck. They also drive a 2013. I'm going to call my buddy with a 2008 6spd and get his opinion too, but figured I'd post here also.

Any other 6spd 2nd gen Taco owners had a similar issue?

EDIT: I should specify, the issue comes when the clutch is disengaged, e.g. pedal to the floor, and the sound only noticeable when going over bumps.
    I researched a bit, and found a similar noise from cars of people who talk about "flywheel chatter"

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Jul 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Of note... they haven't said for sure I'm getting to KEEP the new transmission, but are in contact with Toyota Canada about the warranty and any other instances similar.

3. Jul 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I have the metallic clank when going over bumps with the clutch in or in neutral too. Been there since new. I had it in the dealer one week after I picked it up (last summer bought it new) and the told me... It's normal. I found the drive shaft slip joint going into the transfer case has quite a bit of slop in it.

4. Jul 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Dang OP, it would be a shame to install a new transmission and then take it out again on a whim.

5. Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    Aloe

Aloe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Sport access cab 4x4
    URD Short throw Fisher Plow
    I wouldn't mind taking the old one...just sayin

6. Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    RaleighTaco

RaleighTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathon
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    '97 Toyota 4runner
    So essentially there just wanting to drop a new one in to see if it makes the same noise and then may or may not take it back out? I would want answers before they went tearing into my new truck....

7. Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Putting a new one in and then taking it back out doesn't make much sense ... I mean even if it doesn't correct the issue, it essentially becomes a used transmission. What are they gonna do with it when they take it back out and put your old one back in? Sheesh, just typing that gives me a slight headache.

Old School likes this.
  8. Jul 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'll find out a bit more when the tranny comes in. I wouldn't expect them to put a new one in only to remove it.

I'm Leary to have them do such a big job on a wim. I would think they would change out the driveshaft first, if anything. That being said I'm up for a fix versus being told it's normal.

My buddy with a 2008 and another with a 2013 don't have this issue.

The truck does have a rather aggressive clunk when disengaging clutch under load st highway driving. Like when down shifting going up a long hill at high speed. The sweet spot is very small. I'm starting to think this is part and parcel to the same thing. Even when in gear and I take my foot off the gas pedal, there is a clunk/thud, which reoccurs when I step back on the gas (no matter how gradually/gentle i do it).

Stay tuned...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  9. Jul 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I find it hard to beleive that a stealership cant diagnose this and are using your truck to plow the way to satisfy their curiosity . With this said , I would give any transmission shop the opportunity to test drive my truck to avoid unnecessary repairs .

A second opinion wouldnt hurt . Most transmission shops offer a free road test . They test drive hundreds of vehicles every day and know exactly what to look for .

10. Jul 29, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    is the "free " "extended warranty" oil changes " just the 2yr free maintenance program ???

11. Jul 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    My 2010 has made this noise since new. Same circumstances as yours. I figured it was normal.

12. Jul 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Good Advice. I'll call around for a 2nd opinion.

My old truck had a power steering issue, where assist would be lost when braking at low speeds. GM put in a new pump and the problem returned within one week. In the end, my own mechanic greased the steering shaft U joint and the problem never resurfaced.

Anyone familiar with "Fly Wheel Chatter"?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. Jul 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    Not sure what you mean "chatter" - Clutch or flywheel ???

I had a couple engines with Flywheel problems - 1974 Monte carlo 44 ci. IT would always "ticking" at an idol. Finally found a guy who knew to look at the flywheel closely and spotted a radial crack in the flywheel. One replaced it was fine.

A 1963 Evinrude OB engine. After a tune up (requiring the flywheel be pulled) I had clicking and squeaking and a hot flywheel. Turned out I had a sliver of metal get between the crankshaft taper and the flywheel taper. (i.e. Flywheel not siting properly and / or loose.)

But I'm probably not helping .... I think I'll just go lurking ... :)

14. Jul 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    TacoTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    By chatter, I mean a loud clacking sound. Initially I assumed it was a loose connetion of the driveshaft at the U Joint. As if the bolt was loose and it was wiggling. I tried to record the sound but it picks up all the windnoise.

The dealer said that there is a lot of play in the driveshaft where it connects to the transmission. They expected some play, but said there was more than normal which lead them to feel the transmission was the problem. This only occurs when the clutch is disengaged (pedal to the floor). When the clutch is engaged they say the driveshaft seems fine.

I wish that they had another 6spd on the lot to compare to, but this dealer only has autos in stock. I had considered driving out to where I bought my truck, since they have more 6spds in stock, but I figured since I have the ball rolling with one dealer it didnt' make sense to get another one involved.

15. Aug 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    ERMB

ERMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Land Cruiser
    I've definitely noticed this same noise since new, back in 2010. Still hear it now and then, but never really think about it outside of the moment when it happens. Good to know that others have had similar occurrences. Interested in finding out what happens with the new tranny.

16. Aug 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Dealer is retarded most likely...

17. Aug 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Wow you guys are so lucky that a dealership actually WANTS to diagnose a problem under warranty. Around here, everything is "normal" until the warranty is up. And if you push the issue during the warranty period, they make you pay for every bit of the "diagnosis" UP FRONT until the problem is found, which it usually isnt.

18. Aug 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I've had this same noise since new also. Took the service guy out for a drive a year ago (truck was 6 months old at the time). He heard it also but said it was normal. Since then I've changed my own oil and greased the u-joints as needed. I've also changed all the driveline fluids to Redline Synthetic oil. Which seemed to help a little.

But there is a lot more play in the drive shaft than I had in my 02.

19. Aug 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Dealer is replacing the transmission, because it is making noise where the driveshaft meets the transmission? And you're 4x4? Neither d/s touches the transmission. Transfer case perhaps?

20. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco

To me, at least, This does not make a whole lot of sense?

The Dealer is not fixing warranty issues because he want's to , he gets paid by Toyota to fix these issues. Granted, they need the ability to ID and fix the problem, and if not known under a TSB, LSC or Recall, by a good set of Techs. Since I bought my Tacoma the Service reps at my dealer have been A1 !

Perhaps another Dealer would treat you better ???

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top