1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help removing and installing new leaf springs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rosscopeeko, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Rosscopeeko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I'm in the process of removing my rear leafs to swap out a broken side with new Wheelers hd springs. I've quit for tonight, but so far I've got the front spring hanger bolt out, and I've got both the rear shackle bolt loose, and the rear spring hanger bolt loose. I've been fighting with the u-bolts but I've almost got them off. My question is what's the process in removing the rear shackle and spring hanger bolts? The bolt comes through from the inside and the shackle is in the way in getting the bolts out. I was thinking I need to pivot the shackle to get the bolts out, but this looks tough. What is the easiest method you guys used in getting the springs out and installing new springs. I'm doing this alone and so far it's been tough. My truck is an 08. I removed my stock rear bilstein shocks and they were blown. I'm tackling this again in the morning. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

2. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    Ok thanks for the tip. I'll try that in the morning. When it comes to installing the new leafs is it easier to install the front spring hanger bolt, or the rear?

3. Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ding Dong is right, just loosen/remove the lower shackle bolt, then loosen/remove the other one when springs are off , take note how the config is (shackle to spring) so you dont re install backwards, real easy to do...

I usually attach the shackle but not tighten so it moves freely for lining up with lower shackle bolt, but I'd stab the front hanger first, it almost all has to go in the same time but I've found it easier to get the hanger bolt thru first, I've done at least 100 trucks this way

4. Jul 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    Thanks for all the help guys. Tomorrow morning I'm back at it. I'm tempted to just cut the stock u bolts, they are a pain to get off due to rust.

5. Jul 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    The biggest help for me is craddling the rear diff with a strap so when the springs & axle separate & it all starts rolling down & forward, the strap saves the day...

For your region, don't be tempted to cut them, just do it, not that expensive to replace

6. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau

Yah, like your hand. Burned a hole through my glove and my finger before I felt it this weekend buzzing springs.
    esypy6yp_d77ff836b044ffa12394163f4df24c6fea77f2d8.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top