1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering. Change or Add?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dougarvey, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jul 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    dougarvey

dougarvey [OP] Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6 SR5
    Hey all,

I have been a Tacoma owner since November. Before it, I drove a 97 corolla for years (car made it to hell and back). Anyway, my question pertains to the power steering fluid. When I was low in my corolla I would just add fluid to it and I'd be good to go. But wanting to be as careful as I can with my Tacoma, I searched some threads on here about power steering fluid and I've seen a lot of guys change it out completely rather than just add fluid. This may be a newb question to car maintenance in general, but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask here. So my question is, what is everybody's preference. What are the benefits to flushing it as opposed to just adding. My old man said he never flushed power steering in any car he ever owned and never had a problem.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Doug

2. Jul 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    gordi

gordi Only had a wheel fall off once

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB trd sport
    Fox 2.5 extended travel, dakars, rear 5125 255/80/17 cooper maxx ST
    flush it and replace with new fluid every 40k miles. It is about maintenance, that way ur power steering pump lasts way longer and it turns smoother. All fluids can get dirty and need to be changed periodically

3. Aug 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    dougarvey

dougarvey [OP] Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6 SR5
    I just got off the phone with the service center and they're going to charge me 149 for the whole job (flush and replace). I would do it myself but I've never done it before and its hard to find the time. This sounds like a rip off. What do you guys think? Was thinking of just going to a local mechanic to do it instead, hoping it will be cheaper.

4. Aug 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Flushing a power steering system is ridiculously simple. There are some good write-ups on Tacoma Forums if you're unsure how to do it. $149 seems like a lot. I flush all of my fluids every 30,000 miles. I just did my transmission and brakes today...

5. Aug 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    dougarvey

dougarvey [OP] Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6 SR5
    Okay I think I'll give it a crack. What fluid/brand do you guys recommend?

6. Aug 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    not sure. my truck is too new. specs should be on the cap. Should be Dexcon IV or V

7. Aug 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    dougarvey

dougarvey [OP] Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6 SR5
    I've found tutorials that talk about disconnecting the return line and sticking it into a a bottle and then turning the steering wheel to get out more fluid. My question is, would it be effective if I just leave the return line connected to the reservoir, turkey bast out all the fluid and then turn the steering wheel to get more fluid into the reservoir to remove by the turkey bast method?

8. Aug 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    I did this a few weeks ago and it's simple. Run the return line to a bottle, add new fluid to the reservoir, as much as you can, and turn the wheel a left/right. The fluid will drain into the bottle. Repeat until the fluid is clean. Reconnect everything and add fluid to the full line, turn the wheel and adjust level. Go for a ride to heat up the fluid and check levels again.

9. Aug 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    dougarvey

dougarvey [OP] Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6 SR5
    Ah duh! That sounds like my best bet. Did you fill it with what was recommended under on the cap?

10. Aug 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    I used what was recommended in the manual, ATF Dexron III. I can't remember the brand but it was Dexron III. Make sure to put some paper towels or rags around the reservoir when taking the hose off and putting it back on. Some fluid stays in the return hose and can spill out.

11. Aug 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Mobil 1 Dexron III ATF

12. Nov 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    I plan on flushing and refilling my power steering fluid tomorrow. I have read numerous write ups on how to do this. I just want to make sure I remove the correct line. I have read to remove the return line and allow the fluid to run into a container.

Is the smaller rubber line with the 45 degree angle near the bottom of this pic the return line?

IMG_6563.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top