1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dbl Cab Door Color Mismatched/Off?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atk411, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Aug 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Meh I had my truck at the dealer two days ago and they did a good wash after doing some recalls. No swirls surprisingly and my truck is black.

They also checked where my AC was leaking and inspected the frame for free.

I'm glad your satisfied OP it sounds like that dealership takes care of it's customers.

2. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    You settled for a detail? I would have gone nuts on them and not quit until they repainted the door or replaced the truck, the way your paint looks is not acceptable.

3. Aug 27, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    atk411

atk411 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD-S DCSB MGM PR
    INTERIOR: - Llumar ATC tint (f35/r5) - Dimming mirror (damnit Toyota) - Flyeyez V2W-1214 (RWR) EXTERIOR: - BPF Skid Plate - OEM Roof Rack - Redline Hood Struts
    Lol, no, I settled for knowing my truck wasn't any less valuable because the paint was a shade off when the light hits it at just the right angle. Honestly, 99% of the time when the truck is in motion or parked, you wouldn't be able to tell. Which is why it took over month and a half for me to finally notice the paint was off.

The full detail is more of a "Sorry the factory painted it that way; here's something for your time; and please come back to purchase another car from us!"

4. Aug 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Repainting the door will not solve anything. It will still be a different shade, and then you have to explain why it was painted when you sell it.

5. Aug 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Maybe get them to document and sign a statement that there was no damage or repairs made to it after leaving the factory. And the paint came from the factory that way or something.

I agree, it might not bother me all that much (after knowing there was no wreck) but then if you go to resell, it could be hard to convice a buyer that it has not been in a wreck or something. Having documentation might help with that issue.

Or, say sometime down the road that area were to fade or peel or something you would have documentation that you reported it and the dealer also noted it well under the warranty period. You might be covered for the repair in that case.

Like others said, if I was fairly convinced it came from the factory that way, I would probably prefer living with it rather than have someone else try to repaint it again. It could have gotten scratched at the factory, who knows and probably know way to find that out either.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  6. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    atk411

atk411 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD-S DCSB MGM PR
    INTERIOR: - Llumar ATC tint (f35/r5) - Dimming mirror (damnit Toyota) - Flyeyez V2W-1214 (RWR) EXTERIOR: - BPF Skid Plate - OEM Roof Rack - Redline Hood Struts
    I'll take this as "middle-aged" sage advice, lol. That's a good idea. I think I'll shoot them another email to see what they can do. Thanks!

7. Aug 29, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    Agreed matching the paint would be impossible, if it was me I would not have stopped until the replaced the truck, 30 k for a screwed up paint job is crazy.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  8. Aug 29, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    OP, Glad you are satisfied, but remember at the beginning of the thread where you posted 5 different pics at different angles and parked in different spots?

Clearly visible difference. Extremely noticeable. You thought it was enough of a problem to start a thread about it and I would have done the same thing.

I think you should stick it out and get more out of this deal because the paint mismatch will kill your resale value. I imagine if I went into to buy a used Tacoma and saw that I would immediately pass it by because I would be thinking - "Been wrecked - I'll pass without even asking to see a carfax to confirm" I wouldn't believe the carfax anyway. Your truck looks like it has been wrecked and the passenger side front quarter panel and door have been replaced and repainted.

I'm certainly not trying to tell you your business, only offer a little perspective from a truck buyer.

:)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. Aug 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    J.Z.Alba

J.Z.Alba Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Pre-runner TRD
    Nerf steps, Fold-A-Cover
    +1

10. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
  11. Aug 30, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    X2
    I would have pushed to have the door repainted. A good body man would be able to get a better shade match, then blend adjoining panels. Just what I would've done. Glad you're OK with the outcome.

Products Discussed in

To Top