1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Read all I can about the Entune Plus, trying to figure out what I can do with it.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hotrod53, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Aug 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    From what I read so far, there's not much that you can do with the Entune + in my 2014 other than face value. Looks like any updates come from the dealer on a USB stick, didn't see any updates posted online, same for the Gracenote software. How would I even know if it was up to date? I see a bunch of numbers for each category, but who knows what's newest.

I'm still learning how to use this thing, so far my impression is that it's just OK. It sounds slightly better than my 2013, but I'm noticing that the XM reception drops out quite a bit. Playing music through Bluetooth seems a bit quirky at times, as was all of the Toyota rentals I have had over the past year. Sometimes the music just doesn't want to link, yet the phone links right up.

I sure whish I could customize the channel numbers on the menu. It's hard to remember what all of the XM station numbers are.

2. Aug 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    LarryM04

LarryM04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dayton, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BRM DCSB TRD Sport
    Have you linked your phone to the radio and have you loaded the Entune app on your phone?

Once you do that, updates will come automatically and over the cell phone. Mine did right after I made the first connection.

3. Aug 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    I have the same thing, I've had my truck for 9 months, still trying to figure everything out.
    The speakers are junk, will be replacing them one day.
    I really want to keep the HU.

4. Aug 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    mesasone

mesasone Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camden
    Eastern IA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Access Cab SR5 V6
    I think the Entune head unit is pretty decent, not amazing but decent. I would agree Toyota could do much more with it. I'd really like to see both instant and average fuel economy read out on the head unit, as well as an ambient air temp sensor. I think the Premium units can read out some of the ECU information... this should be available on all units.

Honestly, I think they need to simplify the line... get rid of the base, and make Entune Plus the new base. Add the entune apps and ECU readout information to the base unit. Leave things such as GPS navigation and FM time shifting for Premium. Now that vehicles are coming with nice double DIN touch screens with high levels of OEM integration, I think it's time to add line level output to the back of the head unit for easy after market stereo upgrades with the factory stereo. This might be a good feature for the premium line, along with an expanded EQ (7 bands maybe?) and a DSP bypass option.

But I digress.

You can add the XM channels as a preset by holding down on the preset button for like 3 seconds.

Hope this helps.

5. Aug 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Yep, I figured out the preset for XM, I just wish you could name the preset instead of the standard XM042 since I can never remember what channel is what. I have also linked my phone. Unfortunately this Windows 8 Luna (P.O.S battery hog) phone doesn't get the APP. I'm not sure that the APP applies to the non-NAV radio anyway. The speakers are junk, yet less junky sounding than the ones in my 2013. That thing made everyone sound like they were singing with mouthfuls of marshmallows.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. Aug 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    I got Entune Premium Audio in mine and after a week, I am pretty satisfied so far. Bluetooth audio works great. Sound is pretty decent. Bass is great. All i listen to is house and dnb, and don't have many complaints yet.

Coming from '11 X3 with with a premium audio, and taco sound is not too far behind. UI aside, I actually like the functionality of Entune better than the BMW unit.

7. Aug 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    LarryM04

LarryM04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dayton, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BRM DCSB TRD Sport
    Ya shoulda got the JBL speakers.

8. Aug 3, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Cement 4x4
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    I highly advise upgrading to the entune audio premium with nav, you get the entune app suite and navigation, then sell your entune plus unit on here to recoup some of the difference. FLTrucks sells the OEM unit on here for $450 and it is completely plug and play for your truck, I did the same upgrade took me 1/2 hour. Great upgrade.

9. Aug 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    mesasone

mesasone Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camden
    Eastern IA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Access Cab SR5 V6
    Yeah, I actually think the speakers are pretty good - for a factory system.

Products Discussed in

To Top