1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd issues yet again

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jacked05, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Aug 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    Jacked05

Jacked05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR Premium MT
    I have a 2005 Tacoma trd sport. Last year I replaced my front acc, after much help from here to determine the problem. Today at work I go to leave after about 3 inches of rain and end up stuck, put it in 4wd no click no light no nothing. After doing some reading I've seen a few other people with this same issue but no answer to how they fixed it. I have to turn the truck all the way off put it in 4wd turn ignition on and it works fine. It's worked every time I've tried it that way just irritating to do it that way. So I've pulled the 4wd switch cleaned all connectors, didn't work. Tried my buddy's switch, about an hour ago same problem. Crawled under truck checked all connections to transfer case, as well as front diff. I'll also add I don't have blinking 4wd light like I had before with bad acc.

Any ideas

2. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    Jacked05

Jacked05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR Premium MT
    Nobody?

3. Aug 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Check the fuse. I think it's in the cab, but can't remember. If it's not beeping it might be the T-case actuator. It's not an easy fix, but it is rebuildable. The electronic shift 4wd stuff sucks. Either get good at diagnosing and rebuilding the actuators, or convert to a manual shift T-case. I converted my factory T-case to manual shift, but it's hillbilly engineering at it's finest. Works every time now, no matter what. You can also swap in an FJ manual case if you've got the sheckles.

Tacosail likes this.
  4. Aug 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I just had this happen yesterday. What I did was pull fuse from the inside, look at it, deemed it still good, then started in 4x4 and drove a lil then switched to 2wd. That worked once. Then I just wiggled all of the wires near the inside fusebox now it works

5. Jul 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    Reeloffurtune

Reeloffurtune New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 trd access cab
    I am also having this issue and cant figure it out. Works flawlessly if turned into 4wd before key on. Anyone solve this issue yet?

6. Jul 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    the 4wd computer can be funky sometimes. It SHOULDNT let you flip to 4hi over 60mph... but mine will let me do it up to 80 the first time, then if you flip back out and try again it will yell at you. Could be just a funky 4wd computer

Products Discussed in

To Top