1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 garage remote holder Mod to compass ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sawspatch, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Aug 8, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    Sawspatch

Sawspatch [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    "11 pre runner SR5 4-cyl.
    I've got a 2011 prerunner SR5 access cab .
    I would like to take out the garage door
    Remote holder and install the compass
    Accessory in its place. Is this possible ? What
    would I need besides the compass to get this
    Done?

2. Aug 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    You'll need least the temp sensor for behind the grille, and that is assuming that the wiring harness is there, and I believe that it is. There are only 2 Phillips heads that hold that overhead console in, I'd pull it and look before proceeding. You'll probably need the entire overhead console unless there is a knockout in yours for the display.

There are links here or on Toyotanation.com that have pictures listed under repairing compass, they are known to fail due to solder joints. These pics will show you the harness as well as the removal procedure.

3. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok, couple of questions;
    Is there a dedicated power circuit or a shared power circuit for the compass/ temp accessory?
    Where is the actual fuse located ?
    When these accessories go bad what happens?
    Is there a tutorial on how to fix?
    Sorry, that was a little more then a couple of questions.
    I just tried to plug one into the harness already provided in the roof. Nothing!, no lights , nothin' . Any insight will help, thanks in advance!

4. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure weather or not my truck has the temp sensor installed .
    Is there a part number for the actual temp sensor?
    Where is the factory location for the temp sensor?

5. Sep 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok, further investigation in the front end by the radiator I found what looks like the actual temp sensor with wires and connectors, I would include a photo for verification but it's seemingly difficult for me to add pics , So I need to run wires with the male repair wires into harness connector position 1 and 3 from behind dash to the temp sensor display harness fitted with the female connectors into that harness. ?? Does this sound correct?

6. Sep 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I added a pic of the temp sensor in the grill of the truck

image.jpg

7. Sep 18, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I recently acquired some additional information this subject...

Yes you have the sensor BUT it is not just there for you to use with a temp display. This sensor is tied to a communication buss called Canbus which also communicates with the engine management systems. The sensor is NOT just a basic thermistor that connects to a display, your temp display connects to a Canbus plug and gets this info from the network.

My suggestion is for you to buy a Gentex mirror intended for aftermarket, yet it looks like OEM. Trying to install the overhead and make it work will depend on whether the harness exists. You'll want to be 100% sure on that first. When we tried this on my 2014 by installing a 2013 mirror, everything worked EXCEPT The temp and I too have the temp sensor like you do. This didn't work for me because there is no connection from Canbus available at the mirror.

The aftermarket Gentex assumes that you will install their temp sensor, which is stand alone, no Canbus required. Check them out, they're about $250 and really nice. By the time you buy the overhead console, you'll be closer in cost to buying the Gentex.

8. Sep 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I've traced the wires ( purple/white and grey ) from temp censor to engine fuse block. All fuses are accounted for in the fuse block. On the fuse block lid there are descriptions of the designated fuses. None of the descriptions jump out as to be anything tied into the use of the temp sensor. It's possible these wires just pass through the engine fuse block , through the fire wall and into the cabin, I do see the seemingly same gauge and color of wires in the bundle goining into the fire wall.

Another potential problem, The compass/temp harness does fit with my truck harness BUT My truck harness has 5 wires and the compass/temp harness has 8 wires (which are all black)-(not very helpfull). I do see a purple/white wire but no grey wire. So if I were to run 2 wires from cabin fuse block to the compass/temp display, I would still be missing a potential wire.

I have a 2011 and the compass/temp display has a born on date of 2006. Could this be a problem? I've heard the compatible years are 06 - 10. I've also heard these will fit in the 2011. I also know there is a different part number for the 2011 compass/temp display. I'm guessing toyota fixed the loose solder problem for 2011 and it's obvious that the wire arrangement is different.

How do I calibrate the compass?

9. Sep 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2006 Compass/temp harness to 2011 truck harness

image.jpg

10. Sep 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Sawspatch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok, sometimes it helps to read the owners manual. As far as the 2011 owners manual describes the console accessory made for 2011 as ONLY a temperature gauge with NO compass. This would sort of explain the wiring difference at the overhead wiring harness.
    I don't want to give up yet, I want this older display accessory to work with my truck , heck ya I want that combo read out verses only having a temp only.
    To be continued !

Products Discussed in

To Top