1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame recall - Canada

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kel Varnsen, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Aug 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    WIB

WIB Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD stock 4x4
    Mine is also as US made truck, does not show up on the US site, but does on the Canadian one. The recall covers '05-'08 model years so maybe they're working their way to yours.

2. Aug 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Sorry, when I said US truck, I meant it was bought in the US and imported to Canada.

Up to now the warranty has never been an issue, I'm just not sure how this would work as to my understanding the campaign is not US wide. At least not yet.

Shawn.

3. Aug 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    99coma

99coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma TRD OffRoad
    Recall is now confirmed in alberta, called the dealership today to book an appointment but when i asked about replacing the frame the manager told me they were going to do the buy back program again. he said he was not 100% sure on that but pretty sure it was going to be the same as last frame recall, which im hoping because 150% buy back is a lot more then what i paid for my tacoma ;)

4. Aug 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    Fuse

Fuse Geologist

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 6MT
    Got my notice in Calgary back in mid July. My truck goes into Cochrane Toyota later this week. Pretty sure I'll pass, but you never know.

Some Toyota dealers around Calgary are booking into September/October.

5. Aug 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Kooltaco

Kooltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD DC
    I just checked and I am on the recall list as well.

If I can put this off until next year, the program may just change from a replacement to a Buy-Back program. One more winter on this frame may just finish it off...in time for a 2016 model.

6. Aug 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    My truck which was bought in Cali is not covered ATM in this recall. I'm going to get other recalls done so I'll talk to them then.

7. Aug 17, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Got my letter. Going in for inspection on Wed.

8. Aug 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Yep got my letter. I'll check with yota one day.

9. Aug 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    99coma

99coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma TRD OffRoad
    im praying for a buy back! hoping the guy at the dealer was right.

Has anyone in canada brought theres in and the frame failed yet??

i know mine is going to fail not because of holes but because the frame has warped from the rust and if I can hold out and get a buy back I will for sure.

10. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    davet

davet Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    king city, ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 indigoink tacoma trd sport DCLB
    Just got it. Stock ..for now
    My first post on TW. Long time reader tho. I had a 2005 4cyl 2wd 5 speed awesome little truck. It was my first tacoma. I recently purchased another 2005 tacoma trd sport with 160000 km. After I purchased it I was underneath and noticed it had allot more rust then I first thought (bought it while it was pouring rain out so it didn't look to bad). So I got it sandblasted and undercoated. It still looked like s**t. I live the GTA area around king city, so I brought it down to Kenshaw toyota. On st.Clair and Jane st. area in Toronto. I had just sold my little 4cyl but I noticed the rust wasn't even as close to as bad as the new trd I had just bought.(their the same year!!!). So I wanted to see what the dealer said about it. I did not get a letter for a recall but I saw way to many post for me not to try. So in she went!..as soon as the dealer called me because they had to order a machine in to test the frame. At the end of the same day she went in I had her back. They told me that they took pictures and scanned it, And they were sending it to the head office to see what they say. So I waited. About 2-3 days later I got a call saying that they are going to replace the whole frame and all the little tabs that Go with it!! I couldn't believe how fast the reply was. The lady said parts are already ordered and I should be bringing it to get fixed next week sometime! And should take about 3-5 days. ANNNDDD they even are giving me my money back that I paid to get the truck sand blasted and under sprayed !!( that I didn't get done at Toyota) I couldn't believe it. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens from here. Just thought I would share my experience with you all.

Thanks
    Dave

11. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    I just had my truck inspected yesterday, front right wheel well is perforated. Apparently I qualify for a new frame, but Toyota in Brantford are just going to wait for the go ahead from Toyota Canada. Apparently frames are back ordered though and it could be a month or two before I get one... just in time for the colder weather.

My concerns are extra costs built into changing the frames, stuff like replacing all the brake lines and bolts that snap off because of the rust. What I was thinking of doing is going and buying a Toytec lift kit and having the dealer just install it at the same time they change the frame. But as I said, my concerns lie with the parts that should just be replaced once they are removed and extra costs the come with that. Apparently the dealer who I would have do it have done 4 or 5 trucks already though.

I should also note that I did not get a letter from Toyota, I had read about the recalls on TW and decided I should take the truck in and ask. There were 3 outstanding recalls on it, but my concern was the frame rust, and it turns out it was the right move because I guess a new frame isn't that bad a deal.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  12. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    TacoMitch93

TacoMitch93 Tasty Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
  13. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    My inspection revealed no perforation but lots of rust. They are ordering the 'kit' and will call back once it is received.

14. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Fuse

Fuse Geologist

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 6MT
    Mine went for inspection this morning. Haven't heard back about it yet.

15. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    Fuse

Fuse Geologist

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 6MT
    It passed. Pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

16. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    Selimos

Selimos Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Indigo
    I got a new frame on my 05 TRD. ( I bought brand new in 05 and could not keep the frame from rusting - washed often and even painted it every spring!!!)

Now I am dealing with issues of a new frame- it took them over 3 weeks to install, then I found out the dealership sub-contracted it out to a local frame shop!??

Can then do this without my consent? I agreed to a Toyota dealer doing the frame change not some local frame shop.

Any suggestions on what I can do? maybe call Toyota Canada?

17. Aug 22, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    I probably would and have a complete shit fit on them. I'll keep that in mind with regards to my frame when Toyota Canada get's back to me. The dealer seemed fairly confident I would get approval for a new frame. But I will definitely be making sure they are doing it in their shop and not subbing it out to someone else.

Toyota better cover any issues that arrise from not having their service techs touch it. I would rather have a Toyota dealer touch the truck rather than some local shop, at least at Toyota they should be somewhat familar with the trucks.

Can I ask if they provided a loaner while they were working on the truck? And if they are charging you anything to have the frame replaced, whether for the loaner or anything else? Do you know what all they are replacing on the underside of the truck?

18. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Calling and writing Toyota would be a good start. What issues have come with the new frame?

19. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    If Toyota said they are going to replace the frame then Toyota SHOULD be the ones doing it. It's their recall program, don't pawn it off to the lowest bidder to do their dirty work. At least if Toyota messes up then they are responsible for it, by having a local shop do it then they can use them as a cop-out to avoid any further issues with the disassembly and re-assembly of your truck.

20. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    buck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    When the underspray kit comes in for mine, the dealer said they will arrange with their outsource 'undercoating shop' to perform the service.

I did find it odd that the dealer outsources their work.

Products Discussed in

To Top