1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame recall - Canada

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kel Varnsen, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Dec 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    SWM

SWM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD DCSB
    inspection on Sept 10. Said will be replacing the frame... took all my info but now they are not returning my calls or emails haha.... have to drop by and see what's going on.

2. Dec 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Wow! Lotsa frames being replaced. MY local dealership called to bug me, so I set an appointment for Feb to get the frame checked out. I suspect I am fine, but we shall see

3. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    Anyone know why they are not including newer years in this recall? Is it because the newer frames are made from better materials or because they just want to deal with the older years first?

4. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    My frame is good but I wish Toyota would issue a recall stating
    "Selling any vehicle in Canada without heated side mirrors can be potentially dangerous, therefore we are installing heated mirrors on all Tacoma's in Canada, Alaska and the Northern 48. Apologies for the cold fingers and limited to non existent side lane checks."

Anyone know if Toyota will void the warranty if you have sliders welded on?

5. Dec 13, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    You softies with your heated mirrors, heated seats, heated steering wheels etc. just drive up the price of the truck with a lot of limp wrist options. How about something usefull like variable speed windshield wipers, a warning when your washer is too low which would come in handy during prairie white outs, or a 'get service advisor fired' card when the tech he assigns to your vehicle saws off your gas pedal despite being told 3 times not to do the recall......

6. Dec 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Heated mirrors should be in these trucks , my truck has intermittent wipers , you must have bought the poverty model , but you can add the intermittent stalk

7. Dec 14, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    99coma

99coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma TRD OffRoad
    just an updates ( or lack of) on my truck, brought it in sept 2 2014 for inspection, they said frame is bad, here is your truck, and we are ordering parts... over 3 months later with zero updates and still forced to drive a truck with a bad frame, i have contacted toyota canada and waiting for a reply. then in the mail i get a letter for rear leaf springs recall then head light recall, think they would be better off to just give me a new truck instead of rebuilding mine lol

im going to push for a buy back or if the frame falls apart soon a law suit:)

8. Dec 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Guys, I agree totally with the heated mirrors!

9. Dec 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    The failing 05 motor mounts were welded incorrectly. You won't notice an actual physical change unless it's flat out broken.

10. Dec 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    porky

porky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Almonte Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I got the leaf spring recall
    Now what is the one for the headlights

11. Dec 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The DRL one isn't a recall

12. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror

Cheap heated mirror mod can be found here.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/15958-el-cheapo-heated-mirrors.html#post198086

13. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  14. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    99coma

99coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma TRD OffRoad
    hey guys been a while since i posted but i just got my truck back with new frame!

also new leafs, LCA and spare tire carrier, took them just over a week to finish everything so not to bad. only put 100kms on the truck so no issues yet but we will see

15. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:40 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Did you have to pay for any of the extra stuff?

16. Jan 29, 2015 at 4:29 PM
    99coma

99coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma TRD OffRoad
    while they were in there they noticed my rear axle seals were needing a change so i payed for that-$100-

other then that not a dime
    new frame-$4000
    leafs- $600
    labour-$7000
    plus every thing else all free of charge.

also i did not have any kind of extra/ extended warranty or anything like that

they honer the new frame for 15 years from date the truck was bought so i have another 5 years, i know 5 years is not a lot for a frame but its better then 1 year/20,000 or nothing lol

17. Jan 30, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    SWM

SWM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD DCSB
    they have had my truck for almost 3 weeks now. Truck was all apart and they figured out the new frame was for an extended cab and mine is a double... oh well, driving in a new RAM 1500 for a rental.

whats up with the headlights ? was thinking of replacing mine with aftermarket

18. Jan 30, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    diemaco

diemaco Active Member

Member:
    Ontario
    ICON Stage 3 TRD CAI
    At least you got a truck for a rental. They told me toyota only covered $40/day for a rental and it would cost me 10-20 extra per day for a truck as well as $ 30 per day for commercial vehicle insurance. They also discovered a bent spring perch on the new frame and had to order a new one. Supposed to be in this week. Highly doubt that I'll be going with a toyota for my next vehicle (currently own 2).

19. Feb 7, 2015 at 3:37 PM
    SWM

SWM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD DCSB
    dealer has been great about the whole thing actually. putting my truck back together now, just waiting on a harness.

20. Mar 19, 2015 at 9:16 AM
    rhowell

rhowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    I took my truck to Kal Tire today and had them put it up on the lift. I pressure washed the frame before going. I have almost NO rust on my 08 frame. I would say it is around 99% rust free. I have been using fluid film twice a year since '10.

I also contacted Toyota regarding the recall (my truck is a US model) and the told me that Toyota US has advised Toyota Canada to fix all US model Tacomas that reside in Canada.

Now my problem is it is going in next week to get a full CRC treatment but I kind of dont want too do it as the frame is doing so well and the fluid film is working great. I read somewhere that if you dont take the treatment and have future issues then you are not covered. I guess that means I will have to get it done.

Products Discussed in

To Top