1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame recall - Canada

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kel Varnsen, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Mar 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM
    fgabriel

fgabriel New Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma

I'm having the same internal debate also.

Just picked up a used 05 and the eligibility for the recall check is there.

My question is, what is the criteria used for them to determine "Yep, thats a replacement" or simply a treatment, whereas the latter will obviously not be as durable longevity wise (or will it?)

When I take poissession of the vehicle I can upload pics (any specific areas to cover?) and maybe get previous affected owner's opinions

-f

2. Mar 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    I believe it's any hole greater than 10mm.. mine is beside cat on passenger side. Way bigger than 10mm :eek:

3. Apr 13, 2015 at 8:45 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Frame was replaced last week, have had the weekend to drive it around and it does feel like a newer truck. The updated leaf pack in the rear helps but everything from the steering to rolling down the road feel more buttoned down than before.

[FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]

4. Apr 13, 2015 at 11:46 AM
    j.d.mason

j.d.mason Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 White TRD Sport DCLB
    I should check mine. I just bought it recently and I am unsure as to whether or not the frame has been replaced or not. I would love to have a new frame!

5. Apr 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    chadwhitt

chadwhitt Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 Tacoma
    Custom Grill
  6. Apr 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM
    cliffhanger4

cliffhanger4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Toronto Ont Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota PreRunner TRD
    I took my Tacoma in that is a US truck last week. They aren't replacing the frame but are going to do the CRC spray on it as a recall. I didn't get a noticed just took it in.

7. Apr 24, 2015 at 5:46 AM
    cliffhanger4

cliffhanger4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Toronto Ont Canada
    Vehicle:
    Service Campaigns:

Title
    Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ESD - Certain 2005 - 2008 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles - Frame Inspection
    Status
    Inspection Required

Description
    Certain 05-08 MY Tacoma vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use, may exhibit more than normal corrosion to the frame. This Limited Service Campaign (LSC) covers vehicles currently registered in AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WA, and WY.
    Remedy
    Please contact an authorized Toyota Dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected before 3/31/2016.

Campaign Date
    March 20, 2015
    Campaign Expiration Date
    March 31, 2016
    Dealer Reference ID
    ESD

8. Apr 24, 2015 at 6:04 AM
    cliffhanger4

cliffhanger4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Toronto Ont Canada
    Vehicle:
    I got my truck back after it was sprayed. They didn't wash it before they started. Still dirt on the rails. they never removed the spare tire. Where the hoist was was never sprayed. see pics. I talked to Toyota Canada about it and they told me to take it back to the dealer and get they to do the job right. If the job is still not done right I was to advise them..
    The recall I found out was only for the frame not any of the cross members.
    This all started when my Tacoma suddenly went full throttle in reverse and in neutral 2 weeks ago and it was in for that. To get the truck home I had to pull the battery to reset the computer. They are still looking into it.

IMG_20150423_173453.jpg
    IMG_20150423_173638.jpg
    IMG_20150423_173530.jpg
    IMG_20150423_172837.jpg
    IMG_20150423_172608.jpg

9. May 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    chadwhitt

chadwhitt Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 Tacoma
    Custom Grill
    So I called in last week to book the inspection for my american 07' tacoma and was told that they need a case number before they can even do the inspection from Toyota Canada. So I have a service appointment on Monday and I am planning on calling tomorrow or Friday to find out in I have the green light for the frame check. I am pretty sure that I will be getting the frame coated based on the minimal surface rust that I have. I am really hoping for the frame swap though!!

I will keep posting with updates about getting an american truck through this process. Wish me luck!

10. May 13, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    My Tacoma is from Arizona, and imported to Canada. Apparently, the recall in the US covers vehicles currently registered in AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WA, and WY.

I checked with the dealer and they checked with Toyota Canada who got in touch with Toyota U.S.A and they told me my Tacoma is covered under the recall. I have yet to make an appointment for an inspection.

They told me there is another recall for the rear leaf springs. Apparently the rear springs can snap due to stress and corrosion, but "Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition." What remedy is Toyota preparing for? The only remedy I can think of is to replace the crappy springs with good ones. when I first bought the truck, I had the 3 leaf packs replaced with 4 leaves under a TSB. Toyota covered it for free. This recall covers both 3 and 4 leaf springs.

So what's up with Toyota. The 1st generation Tacomas had both the rusted frame and snapping rear spring issues. You'd think they'd learn from past experience and not repeat the same mistakes.

BTW, the dealer told me there's a 3rd outstanding recall on my vehicle. They're going to replace the tire loading label. I think it's odd, but perhaps the have to de-rate the loading because the rusty frame and springs are too weak to hold their original rated load. (ha ha! :rolleyes:)

11. May 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    j.d.mason

j.d.mason Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 White TRD Sport DCLB
    I asked about this too. I have 3-springs, and I mentioned the TSB and they sort of shrugged it off. Maybe this upcoming recall will get me the proper rear-spring setup that I'm looking for!

12. May 14, 2015 at 2:59 AM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    I am a little late on this thread,but i had my frame changed last February.
    My Tac is a 2007 SR5 TRD Off Road.
    They changed everything under,new frame,leafs ,brake line,etc etc etc.
    It was the worst 2007 case they ever seen yet.
    UNtil everything was completed,i had to admit i was pretty nervous about and until that it was completed and finally done after about four months waiting for this do be done.
    While it was done,they also replaced my muffler which had a small whole.( that i paid for the part if course.
    I am very pleased with Toyota.
    It was a pretty bad experience when we find out that the frame is rotting down,but in the end Toyota Canada replaced it all.
    It started with a phone call to Toronto main office then to my Dealer here in town.
    Next ,i will have my four shocks replaced with Bilstein 5100 soon i hope,,,

Thanks
    All the best
    Charly

13. Jun 11, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    chadwhitt

chadwhitt Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 Tacoma
    Custom Grill
    Just received the green light from Toyota Canada to get the frame inspected and the braided cable switched out. I'm on the list for new leaf springs since they are on back order. Looks like I will have a loner vehicle for 3 days, hoping for something badass!

14. Jun 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    So I made an appointment with the Toyota dealer to have my frame inspected this past Monday. I dropped off the Tacoma in the morning and expected to have it back by late afternoon. I called them, they told me they were doing the CRC and the Tacoma wouldn't be ready until Thursday. They offered me a rental, but I didn't need it. I Picked up the Tacoma yesterday afternoon, and the CRC looks good. It is a hard compound, and it's thick. They seemed to have done a very good job covering the entire frame. They did the CRC on Tuesday, and let it set for Wednesday and Thursday. It has hardened when I picked it up so nothing was dripping from under the truck. It still stinks, though.

15. Jun 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    My spare was definitely removed when they did it, and the cross members were coated as well.

16. Jun 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    All I got in writing was that there is no warranty. I had my CRC done last week, and they did a decent job. I asked about a warranty, and the dealership told me they will check with Toyota and get back to me by email. I got the email today that read, "I just wanted to let you know that there is no warranty that comes after having the corrosion campaign performed. The campaign itself is a 1 time customer satisfaction performed and offered by Toyota."

17. Jun 15, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I just got the frame inspection notice the other day and I live in TX where there is no winter. I've already inspected it and doesn't have the slightest surface rust on anything so no go on that. Already have 4 leaf packs and driver air bag is good and someone already did the pedal cut before I got the truck. No recall work for them.

18. Jun 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM
    chadwhitt

chadwhitt Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 Tacoma
    Custom Grill
    My luck I will get a Fiat! :rofl:

scottalot[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jun 25, 2015 at 7:41 AM
    chadwhitt

chadwhitt Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 Tacoma
    Custom Grill
    Lucked out and got a Corolla! Not a bad ride for a few days.

20. Aug 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Is there any warranty after CRC gets applied? For some reason I thought the frame is covered for 15 years after CRC gets applied, but it may be in US only or am I just imagining things?

Reason I'm asking is I got my frame (as much as I could get to) wire wheeled and painted with RustBullet in fall of 2013, few months before recall went public. I also had frame coated with Krown (similar to Fluid Film) twice since then and really like how that is turning out.

I don't think my frame will fail, unless there is corrosion in the boxed section where I can't see, but if there is no warranty, I kind of want to skip on the CRC and keep doing Krown instead. Mostly because it seem Toyota's CRC is not oily film as Krown etc and will crack eventually and rust will form underneath. I had to scrape off similar rubbery stuff (Ziebart?) from my frame for hours before I started with RustBullet and the worst rust spots were under the coating out of sight.

I also want to keep my '07 for at least 15 more years, so unsure what to do...

Products Discussed in

To Top