1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's your recommendation?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 14Sherpa, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Aug 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    14Sherpa

14Sherpa [OP] Member

Member:
    Tacoma owners....though I do not currently own a truck, in years past I have had several, all full-size. I hope to be in the position to get back into a pickup sometime next year and am wanting to get as much information together before the purchase. I'm pretty sure that I want a Tacoma 4x4, quadcab. I will be purchasing a previously owned truck, preferably not older than 2011. With that as the basic, is there a model year, trim package that is better than others? I live in the Atlanta area, so driving comfort is important for the commute. I want to ask the aficionados, trusting that you guys know what you're talking about.

Thanks for the insight / recommendations.

2. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    Get a 2011 Quad Cab TRD Off Road model. That's the stuff that's going to keep resale value high, and the TRD seats are an upgrade over the regular ones.
    -----
    You're going to end up with 21mpg MAX in a Quad Cab 4x4 tacoma, and you're really going to have to be humping those HyperMiler driving rules to maintain that.

Atlanta in the summer is going to require you to use your a/c on medium/high so you're looking at closer to 18 as a maximum during that time.

That's the reality of the Tacoma engines. Even if you manage to find a 4cyl, the extra weight of the Double Cab and 4x4 is going to make it heavy enough to hurt efficiency of the smaller engine.

All of this is to beg you not to go get a Tacoma and come back here starting yet another thread saying "Omg guys I bot a truk but My MPG not better like Prius tell me ur trix to get Prius Milage from truk."

3. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Do you want a 5' bed or a 6' bed , auto or manual ?

4. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    vjherrera

vjherrera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Chicopee,MA
    if you are just doing commuting with a some basic off road driving the SR5 isn't a bad choice. I have never had an issue with the 4x4 from heavy snow to logging roads

my advice is test drive a few that have the different packages, and to include a short bed or long bed for the double cab. everyone here is going to give you some great info but you know your needs and comfort level.

I have owned and 07 and now I have 2011 which has a few more bells and whistles' but basically they are the same

5. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It has been my experience what you will pay for a 2011 in excellent condition is going to be within a few thousand of the cost of a new one. Unless you get a very good deal.

I was going to get a used Tacoma when I started looking and I found it was a better deal to buy new.

If you find a 2011 for cheap you better get it checked over first.

6. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    100% agreed.

I went to look at used 2nd gen's from 08+ with 70k mi + and they were all of 5k less than a brand new one with exactly what i wanted.

Thats why i ended up with a brand new one!

7. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    I wanted a TRD sport in manuel and would have been totally happy buying used, but the ones I found like that with low miles on them were almost as expensive as a new truck and just not worth it.

8. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    nine3

nine3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD OR Supercharged MT
    Unless you find a screaming deal it's normally worth it to buy a new one. I started looking at used ones but I could not find anything less that 3k off a new one so I just bought a brand new one.

9. Aug 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    I was recently in the same boat you are in, i searched for over a year looking for a decently priced used one and just ended up buying a base style, auto v6 dcsb. I couldnt find any that was really more than a few thousand cheaper than a new one. Some will say, but yea it was a few thousand cheaper, but you have to think, a few thousand cheaper, with alot more miles than new, no warranty, and probably in need of so es tires and other small maintenance, so if it were me, i would just get a new one. At least you know that its not been mistreated or anything. Good luck!!!!!!!

10. Aug 11, 2014 at 3:03 AM
    14Sherpa

14Sherpa [OP] Member

Member:
    automatic....5' bed

11. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

TRD Offroad then

12. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    watch out for the 05-07's they have an issue with head gaskets (i learned 1st hand). Also beware the rusty frames, there is a recall going now but it'd be sad for you to have to deal with that. I personally really like the body style of the 12+ too... i think thats worth the money for a newer one in that aspect. But also as others have said these things really hold their value so you might just end up with a new one.

Also, many people on here (myself included) think that tacos are pretty uncomfortable to sit in. I never feel like i am truly comfy and find myself shifting and moving alot. Do a LONG test drive (like an hour) to see if you feel the same. IMO, my ford ranger was more comfortable to sit in.

13. Aug 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    14Sherpa

14Sherpa [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks ranger098....good insights.

14. Aug 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Just the title of this thread is going to start a major ...

:crapstorm:

15. Aug 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Now we all know that we want top $$$ when the day comes we trade in our Tacomas so we shouldn't be surprised that used Tacomas resell at a high $$$.

16. Aug 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    2003c5ae

2003c5ae Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    trd sport
    Custom Chrome Running Boards, Black Vinyl Tri Fold Tonneau, Polished Exhaust Tip, Cargo Extender, Glove Box & Console Organizer .
    Agree seats not that great on longer trips. Not the worst I have had but could be better imo .

17. Aug 13, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    14Sherpa

14Sherpa [OP] Member

Member:
    that's kind of the point....just wanna know what others have discovered.

18. Aug 13, 2014 at 5:06 AM
    14Sherpa

14Sherpa [OP] Member

Member:
    might comfort depend on body size? how big of ol' boy are you?!

Products Discussed in

To Top