1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Additional Features in 2009

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by C.I.TR3, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Aug 11, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    C.I.TR3

C.I.TR3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    WA State
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have done some searching and cannot find a clear answer.

I am in the market for a used 2nd gen Tacoma quad cab with the 5ft bed (probably a TRD off road version). My budget dictates that I will be buying an older second gen probably in the 2005 to 2010 (if I am lucky) range. I have read about various issues with the 2005-2006 (frame rust, head gaskets) etc. so I am hoping to find a decent deal on a 2007-2010. I do not really care about the minor changes between the 07/08 and the 09/10 like Ipod connector, blue tooth, tail lights, etc. What I am trying to understand is what exactly the safety features and vehicle stability enhancements were between those two models. It appears that they went from a mechanical to an electronic LSD. Is that the only difference? Is one better than the other? How would this affect me? Do they both have VSC, ATRAC, DAC, etc (still learning what all these things are). I do not do any hardcore four wheeling but do get off road a bit and do a lot of driving into the mountains and snow. Thanks for your help.

2. Aug 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    If you don't plant to wheel hard (Rock-crawling, mud-bogging, etc...) skip the OR and get the newest SR5, 4x4 you can afford. Bet you can get a '12+ SR5, 4x4 or base '12+ for the same money as an older OR.

I feel like buying an older OR, is like buying a Mustang Cobra or GT500 used. You know the previous owner likely beat on it. SR5's or Sports were likely owned by a commuter, that rarely if ever encountered anything more than snow.

Having owned a 2007, 2010 & 2014 the 2012+ enhancements are well worth the ticket. My 2010 just had a very 90's feel to the design and enterior. I really like the entune touch screen and connectivity consciences on my '14, which should be similar if not same for 2012 & 2013 as well.

Sure the OR is nice, and I would love to have one myself. But the reality is, there wasn't a single place I couldn't get my first truck, which was a '92 Hilux, 4x4, 22RE, with open front and rear diffs (and zero traction or stability aids) and I wheeled that hard when I was 17 & 18 years old.

I'm going to catch even more heat for this, but IMO the full OR pkg is a waste on a relatively stock truck. As even with A-trac, locker and whatever else is part of the pkg, the limiting factors will be the stock clearance, tires, overhang and departure angles.

If you do not plan to lift or put aggressive rubber on this truck, a base or SR5, even sport will do 9/10 of what a BONE stock OR will do. If you plan on lifting the truck, and upgrading suspension, tires, removing low hanging parts like mud flaps, exhaust, stock bumpers, than by all means go with the full OR pkg and enjoy.

Products Discussed in

To Top