1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

power steering pump leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chaostheory, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Aug 11, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    chaostheory

chaostheory [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma DC LB
    Fellas,
    Im a new Tacoma owner as of this weekend. 2006 DC LB 4.0 119000 miles. I get down the road a few hours from the dealership and I hear power steering pump start to whine. I pull over check it out and Im low on PS fluid. Ok no big deal maybe the dealership forgot to put fluid in the reservoir. I fill it up go down the road a few more hours check it again and what do you know its low again. The top of the pump is soaked with fluid. I check the hoses chase everything down and the only location that appears wet is the top of the pump housing. Call the dealership they said they just put a new pump on before I bought it (it does look new....... on the outside.) So I hit it with some carb cleaner waited till it dries, started the truck had the ol'lady turn the wheel back and forth and saw the leak coming out of where the front and back of the pump bolt together. Anyone ever have something like this happen? If I need a new pump what would it cost a toyota shop to fix if they had to replace the whole pump. Is there a gasket that goes in between the two parts that make up the pump? Anyone ever change out the pump. If so any instructions video images? Thanks Guys!

2. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I would take it back to the place you bought it and talk to the manager. I bet they will make it right if you are cool about it. If not, then you can use the lemon law... If you want to fix it yourself it is probably the O-ring. Pull the pump apart and I bet it's nicked or pinched somehow. I don't think you can order the O-ring by itself though...
    http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old...6toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/04500210.pdf

3. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I don't think the Lemon Law will apply to a 2006 model...

I would also take it back esp because they claimed to have replaced the pump just before you bought it.

Did they give you a warranty? Regardless they should cover it as you just bought it.

Products Discussed in

To Top