1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange metallic squeal/grind sound when vehicle is started

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Saxidani, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Aug 15, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    Saxidani

Saxidani [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5
    Hi,

I stumbled across this site when searching for information on my Tacoma, this site has an amazing amount of information, so glad I found it. :)

Two months ago my husband brought our 2010 Tacoma (which only had 38,000 miles on it in for an oil change, and came home with a brand spanking new 2014 Tacoma..... LOL Salesman saw him ogling a nice new shiny dark blue one on the lot while waiting for our truck....

I absolutely adored our 2010 Tacoma so I was okay with the new purchase at first.... Unfortunately now when we start the truck, after about a two to three second delay we hear an extremely loud metallic squeal/grind sound from the engine compartment that lasts a few seconds and then stops. It only does it intermittently not at every start up.

Since the truck only has 3,580 miles on it we brought it back to our dealership and they said there is nothing wrong with the vehicle... That sound is horrendous and only started doing it this week, so I know it isn't normal.

Our 2010 never made a sound like that and we never had any issues with it... I'm now nervous about the quality of our new one, has anyone else experienced this kind of noise at start up of their Tacoma? Any ideas what it might be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    If the dealer says normal ... have them show you another one on the lot that does the same thing.

Maybe even try another dealer for their opinion if there's one convenient to your location.

I'm not sure what the noise might be. :notsure: With that in mind, can the dealer explain what exactly this "normal" noise is.

Something's not right here IMHO.

Good luck.

3. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM
    JRTACO13

JRTACO13 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    13 PRERUNNER TRD
    3'' TOYTEC LIFT TRD Backcat exhaust Toyota Roof Rack Bed Extender Jumper LED's -interior lights -headlights -fog lights -DTRL's Fog Light anytime mod
    Was the dealer able to duplicate the noise? I work at a dealership and have not heard any complaints of a noise like that, imho a metalic noise like that is not normal.

4. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    Saxidani

Saxidani [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5
    When they started the truck it didn't make the noise so they said there is nothing wrong with it. I tried explaining it to them, and that it is only an intermittent issue so far but they weren't very interested in listening to me... It really is a shame because we have purchased multiple vehicles from this dealership.

I may try bringing it to another dealership for a second opinion, but the closest one is about an hour away...

My neighbor had been outside when it happened once and he heard it, he said it sounded like my starter was bad....

5. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Off-road SR5 6 Speed
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    I have a 2011 and there should only be one sound coming from the engine compartment on start-up , that's a light clicking or ticking…that's the valves. But a metallic squeal or grind? That’s not normal.

6. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    JRTACO13

JRTACO13 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    13 PRERUNNER TRD
    3'' TOYTEC LIFT TRD Backcat exhaust Toyota Roof Rack Bed Extender Jumper LED's -interior lights -headlights -fog lights -DTRL's Fog Light anytime mod
    Unfortenetly they will need to duplicate the noise, however they should not just dismiss it all together. Have you noticed if it happens more at a cold start or after it sits for awhile?

7. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    Saxidani

Saxidani [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5
    It has happened on both cold start and when the engine is still warm. One day it happened as I started it in the driveway to go to the store. Drove to the store engine was warm, ran in got milk came back out, started it and it did it again.

I may try recording every start up to see if I can get an audio recording of the noise, maybe then they'll take me seriously...

8. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    was your ac on? My compressor makes some weird noises that are normal when the air is on and I start my truck.

My kids were all making funny faces as I pulled out of the garage one day, then I figured out I had the air on and I usually don't in the morning.

9. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    Saxidani

Saxidani [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5
    We've only used the ac once, so it's been off since. Dial for air temp is in the mid cool range.

10. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    smithr1730

smithr1730 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '15 TX Pro
    Offroad parts and such
    Like you said, I would film it on startup to try and get the noise to show the dealer. I have had things happen to my previous vehicles that the dealer could not duplicate and as soon as I get it back, the problem begins again..almost like the vehicle has a mind of its own! haha but, I have been successful in proving malfunctions with video. Also, as big of a pain it is, talk to them about leaving it overnight or all day to do a legit cold start and see if the duplicate the problem...hope this helps!

11. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    From your explanation , it sure sounds like the bendix on the starter when the starter gear comes into mesh with the engine flywheel .
    Does the noise also happen for your husband ?
    Reason I ask, some people have been known to hold the key in the crank position after the engine begins to run

12. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    Saxidani

Saxidani [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5
    We will start recording our start ups today to see if we can catch it. Yeah, it has happened to both my husband and myself.

If I catch it on audio I will try to upload it so you can hear it as well. Just want to say thank you again to everyone trying to troubleshoot this with me. I truly appreciate it!

13. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    probly something in your cooling fan.

14. Aug 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
    Could be fan belt tension.

15. Aug 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    This.^^^^^^^^

Let them have it for a day or two.
    They go out and start it every so often.
    Need to hear it before they can do anything.
    Record it if you can.
    I have diag many vehicles starting with a vid.
    Per say the only thing major I can think of right now that's different is the air pump. They keep changing software on timing etc but, have never heard a metallic type noise.
    Help them out with more info or vids.

16. Aug 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    First - OP, Welcome to TW !!

Second - I concur with gearcruncher. You could ask the dealer to pull the starter and inspect it. Could be the Spring as stated, a burr in the starter gear, flywheel gear nick, loose starter, not installed straight, not mating the gears correct, etc. Since it is new and you are a repeat buyer I think they should be glad to do this. This Should not take an hour ...

If you Can't record the noise ... that's what I'd suggest.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  17. Aug 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^I think pulling the starter takes more than an hour.

18. Aug 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If they cannot see or hear the problem, they cannot troubleshoot it.

I would Guess one of two things.

1.) The serpentine belt squealing due to humidity or moisture.

2.) Holding the Starter on after the engine is running or the starter bendix sticking in the extended position. Due to your description of the metalic noise I would say it is more likely this.

19. Aug 17, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle

I have had three trucks (of different brands including Toyota) that did this. Nothing to do about it, I guess as it never led to any kind of problem. I was told once that the AC system might be overcharged and it affects the how the compressor comes on.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  20. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    steelhead2014

steelhead2014 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 sport
    I have the same problem with 2014 tacoma. The dealership here in Seattle says it "normal". I'll take it to another dealership and see it they can fix it. Mine doses this on every cold start.

Products Discussed in

To Top