Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Eco Drive for the Tacoma? Why doesn't Toyota have this feature?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #21
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Higher strength steel, aluminum, and composites all cost more than the regular steel commonly in use. Those materials are starting to show up in lower cost production vehicles, though. I think A pillar thickness has reached a maximum due to visibility concerns, so if crash standards are raised further, more advanced materials will probably be needed. I know high strength steel is already used for that area in some designs.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #22
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
if there weren't 18 wheelers, dumptrucks, etc. on the road then things wouldn't have to be built so heavy. if every vehicle was a smart car everything would be easy then.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #23
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
could cylinder deactivation work on a v6?

you would drop two, making v4, or drop four, making v2 right? I don't see either being beneficial
Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #24
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post

you would drop two, making v4, or drop four, making v2 right? I don't see either being beneficial
As much as my truck shifts on the highway, I doubt it'd help much there. Maybe it'd be beneficial cruising around town.

More gears for the AT may be more useful at keeping the engine in the optimum rpm band for the best fuel economy.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #25
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'd rather have stop-start tech than cylinder deactivation.
Can you turn the feature off. I would hate to be in a situation like offroading or crawling or something were you going slow and having to stop alot and the truck shuts off every time.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #26
wannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud ofwannabetrd has much to be proud of

Name: Zach
wannabetrd's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Their new Corollas have it.
The new corolla does not have cyl deactivation they have what they call valve matic which adjust how far the valve opens but still running on all four
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray223 View Post
Can you turn the feature off. I would hate to be in a situation like offroading or crawling or something were you going slow and having to stop alot and the truck shuts off every time.
I haven't heard of an offroad vehicle with it. It makes perfect sense with a Prius, even without a way to defeat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabetrd View Post
The new corolla does not have cyl deactivation they have what they call valve matic which adjust how far the valve opens but still running on all four
Sounds like another version of variable valve timing. Nothing really new there, but it does make a difference.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #28
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
i have this in my civic...only really does anything when im on the highway going 65 or less.

hills and city driving kill it, hopefully toyota does something better than honda...
Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
i have this in my civic...only really does anything when im on the highway going 65 or less.

hills and city driving kill it, hopefully toyota does something better than honda...
What, VTEC?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #30
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

econ, aka eco mode
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #31

Quote:
econ, aka eco mode
In the non-hybrid, it's limited to instrumentation only. The Prius has a similar instrument mode.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #32
I bring the feel goods

when it works, it's awesome, when it doesnt, it....eh.

works is in certain situations only and I have read the vsc kinda kills it, but I havent read into that topic too much.

long story short w/eco mode it's either 14mpg city or 40mpg city. w/o it on I get 23ish city and around 35 highway.

it does work, just not w/hills or stop go.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #33

Quote:
when it works, it's awesome, when it doesnt, it....eh.

works is in certain situations only and I have read the vsc kinda kills it, but I havent read into that topic too much.

long story short w/eco mode it's either 14mpg city or 40mpg city. w/o it on I get 23ish city and around 35 highway.

it does work, just not w/hills or stop go.
From that wikipedia link, it sounded like ECO Assist was just a passive gauge, but I see that the ECON button does interact with the drivetrain.

Quote:
Honda's ECO Assist™ technology can help drivers develop driving habits that enhance fuel efficiency by observing the speedometer background's response to driving practices. Fuel-saving behaviors like smooth acceleration and braking make the meter glow green. Less fuel-efficient driving habits will cause the meter glow blue-green, while aggressive starts and stops that consume extra fuel cause the meter to glow blue. In addition to the ECO Assist™ technology, drivers can also engage the green, dash-mounted "ECON" button to further optimize control of the transmission, engine and other powertrain elements to help conserve additional fuel.
The Prius has different drive modes that adjust regenerative braking and throttle tip in. Although full power is always available through the accelerator pedal, driving the car in Power mode is noticeably different than Eco.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #34
DieselJunkie is on a distinguished road
DieselJunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
they need to find a way to make trucks lighter. everything weighs so much these days.

my 1st gen toyota truck was a 1988 and it got as good of mpg's with the 2.2L engine as the 2.7L 2009 model does.

it weighed about a 1000lbs less i suppose. not exactly sure but back then trucks were smaller.

a diesel option would be nice it's just the price to buy diesel gas is much higher so it would offset any gains in mpg's most likely. also diesel engines are more expensive to have work done on them if something were to arise. also the price of buying a diesel upfront is really high. i mean if you have to pay $40k for a diesel version it's simply not worth it. you could buy a gas engine and not spend that much in gas the whole time you owned the truck. i'm comparing it to the $20k i paid for my 2009 tacoma.

it's like no ethanol gas. it cost more but you get better mpg's. if you use ethanol gas you get less mpg's but it's cheaper.

i've used both and you come out spending the same amount of money either way so there is no advantage of one over the other. you can spend more for diesel gas and get better mpg's but it would pretty much even out in the wash when all is said and done.
I hear ya... I traded in a perfectly good 2000 Taco Prerunner V6 / TRD Off-Road for my '14 Taco TRD Sport DC LB. The magical performance boost from the old 3.4L engine was actually its power-to-weight ratio. I think the old Tundra 4.7L V8 would be a better match for the current Tacoma, IMHO. That would be the ultimate ECO Drive since you don't need to drive with a lead foot, due to the vehicle's heft.

Having owned a few turbo diesels, my primary reason has not been fuel economy but rather performance on the highway while fully loaded. At least where I'm at regular gas and diesel are near the same price, so it helps justify things. Also, the ability to climb steep mountain roads at 1500-2000 RPM is handy.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #35
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnShooter View Post
Any reason Toyota doesn't have the Eco mode like Honda and the Dodge?
I believe they kill fuel to certain cylinders when there is no load on the engine.

I think the 4.0 engine could be in the mid 20's if they had this feature?
Not even. It's been shown to pick up 1-2 mpg more.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #36
Meth Saved Me
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samuel
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
If you want decent gas mileage, get a 4cyl tacoma. I easily get 22mpg driving like a dick around town. Can't imagine what I'd get on long trips on the highway. If you want "good power for the mtns" or some shitty reason to want the v6, quit yer bitchin' about the mileage then lol

Lol rant over
Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #37
DieselJunkie is on a distinguished road
DieselJunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'd rather have stop-start tech than cylinder deactivation.
You mean, something like the Blue Motion stuff that VW has used in Europe? IMHO, it is a great feature for a McDonalds drive thru but would is annoying for driving heavy traffic. I used to live in Europe and was never a fan of that stuff. Anyway, most cars there already get over 40 miles to the gallon so the technology is overkill.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #38
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be happy when Toyota brings their diesel / electric hybrid tech from the Hino to the Tacoma in 2017
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #39
dmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to all
Army: 10th Mountain Infantry Division (li)
Name: Dennis
dmharvey79's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the 'eco mode' on my wife's 2014 RAV4 does is decrease throttle response and lower shift points, with the 'sport mode' doing the opposite.

I know I've touched on this topic a million times, but Toyota needs to incorporate some modern technologies into their engines. They are falling way behind the curve in terms of performance and efficiency at this point and that is going to show up in their future sales numbers.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #40
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post

I got issued a 2014 chevy 1500 with a V-6 for work that has it. It is a gutless turd with 4cyl firing. and just a turd with all 6 firing. It's rated at 24 mpg highway but I have been getting closer to 20 mpg real world. I had a Trailblazer for a while (V-8) that had it and the new one is much more seamless transition wise, but still noticeable.