Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Eco Drive for the Tacoma? Why doesn't Toyota have this feature?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
TnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TnShooter's Tacoma Gallery
Eco Drive for the Tacoma? Why doesn't Toyota have this feature?

Any reason Toyota doesn't have the Eco mode like Honda and the Dodge?
I believe they kill fuel to certain cylinders when there is no load on the engine.

I think the 4.0 engine could be in the mid 20's if they had this feature?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Their new Corollas have it.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
TnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TnShooter's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I should have specified the the 4.0 V6 engine.
Maybe the next Gen will have it?
I just don't think Toyota has considered fuel mileage in years on the trucks.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
They don't have to it is a small truck does not fall under fuel use requirements. Maybe one day that will change.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
The 4.0L engine is from 2003, started research in 2001 or so I bet so I doubt the technology was available.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
adamh1977 is on a distinguished road

adamh1977's Tacoma Gallery
a friend of mine has a new z 71 and he has it on his v8
Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh1977 View Post
a friend of mine has a new z 71 and he has it on his v8

Ya Chevys tend to have it...weird why others do not.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
cylinder deactivation saves minuscule amounts of fuel. its a feel good measure that costs millions in R&D and has little effect on EPA ratings. it also is one more thing to break.

honda has issues with cylinder deactivation vibrations (just what the taco needs is another source of vibrations.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'd be willing to bet they'd sell even more if they had active fuel management if they were getting more mpgs than full size trucks. Since you know, they don't want murica to have diesels
Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
The 4.0L engine is from 2003, started research in 2001 or so I bet so I doubt the technology was available.
GM had cylinder deactivation on Cadillacs in the 1970's.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rather have stop-start tech than cylinder deactivation.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'd rather have stop-start tech than cylinder deactivation.
This. But likely I wouldn't want either.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
This. But likely I wouldn't want either.
It works very well on a Prius. There'd need to be some design work done to address start times and power demands (I like the Mazda i-Stop solution), but it could give a minor bump in fuel economy to non-hybrid engines, especially in urban areas.

Toyota would be wise to make it defeatable, too.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
murica....
Old 08-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Wife's brother just bought a new Chevy Malibu. The thing shuts off every time you stop - just crazy.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
It works very well on a Prius. There'd need to be some design work done to address start times and power demands (I like the Mazda i-Stop solution), but it could give a minor bump in fuel economy to non-hybrid engines, especially in urban areas.

Toyota would be wise to make it defeatable, too.
Its great on the Prius, I just would think two or three times about buying my Tacoma if it had that setup. I'm not big on that side of engine technology, I'd rather KISS. Maybe too old fashioned
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
DieselJunkie is on a distinguished road
DieselJunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
Well I'd be willing to bet they'd sell even more if they had active fuel management if they were getting more mpgs than full size trucks. Since you know, they don't want murica to have diesels
I actually went with the Tacoma (over the Tundra) for slightly better fuel efficiency (silly, I know). Seems that Toyota hasn't had pressure to improve the Tacoma MPG since they basically have ruled the small truck market, i.e. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My prediction is that Toyota will follow GM's lead to bring a 2.8-3.0L diesel engine (2017?), as an option for those wanting mileage in the upper 20s and high torque. I can't see the gas burning Tacoma making big MPG gains on a design refresh alone unless it entailed skinny tires and carbon fiber body.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #18

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
they need to find a way to make trucks lighter. everything weighs so much these days.

my 1st gen toyota truck was a 1988 and it got as good of mpg's with the 2.2L engine as the 2.7L 2009 model does.

it weighed about a 1000lbs less i suppose. not exactly sure but back then trucks were smaller.

a diesel option would be nice it's just the price to buy diesel gas is much higher so it would offset any gains in mpg's most likely. also diesel engines are more expensive to have work done on them if something were to arise. also the price of buying a diesel upfront is really high. i mean if you have to pay $40k for a diesel version it's simply not worth it. you could buy a gas engine and not spend that much in gas the whole time you owned the truck. i'm comparing it to the $20k i paid for my 2009 tacoma.

it's like no ethanol gas. it cost more but you get better mpg's. if you use ethanol gas you get less mpg's but it's cheaper.

i've used both and you come out spending the same amount of money either way so there is no advantage of one over the other. you can spend more for diesel gas and get better mpg's but it would pretty much even out in the wash when all is said and done.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Its great on the Prius, I just would think two or three times about buying my Tacoma if it had that setup. I'm not big on that side of engine technology, I'd rather KISS. Maybe too old fashioned
One of the reasons I like Mazda's ignition based system is the simplicity. Engine management knows the position of each cylinder, so it selects the correct one to fire for startup. No need for a new starter or battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
they need to find a way to make trucks lighter. everything weighs so much these days.

my 1st gen toyota truck was a 1988 and it got as good of mpg's with the 2.2L engine as the 2.7L 2009 model does.

it weighed about a 1000lbs less i suppose. not exactly sure but back then trucks were smaller.
Trucks were smaller, less powerful, and would never pass today's crash tests. I agree that weight is a problem, and the designers all know how to solve it, but cost is the issue.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #20

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
yeah the friggin' costs of things these days. grrrrrr