1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need smaller air intake to fit compressor

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Srpat, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    Srpat

Srpat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC SR5 TRD
    Anyone have an idea on a different air intake that would leave me enough room with the air box gone to fit in my new puma 12v compressor?

Trying hard to not have to put it inside one of the cubbies in the bed.

I experimented with a diy warm air intake a few years ago. Basically had some dryer vent flex duct that went from the oem filter box to someplace in the engine.

Considering reworking that setup unless any of you can recommend any other aftermarket intake, cold or warm, that gives me the room I need.

2. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    Srpat

Srpat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC SR5 TRD
    Anybody have any comments on this setup?

Keeps everything pretty much stock, at least to start out with. Might chop off the mounting arms on the intake tube and maybe cut open the scoop at the end to let in more air.

It lets me fit the compressor in nicely, so I'm going to try it out and see how it positively affects my horrible mpg, and negatively affects my power due to slightly higher air temps.

0819140932.jpg
    0819140932a.jpg

3. Aug 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    Srpat

Srpat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC SR5 TRD
    Since there seemed to be so much excitement from the tacomaworld community I thought I'd post the final install pictures. Um, thanks for the suggestions everyone?

So far, intake air temps register about 5-10 degrees higher than ambient. Definitely not enough to notice any potential loss of power. We'll see what happens in winter. I think it would help my miserable mpg's by having some relatively hot air flow through.

I have 10 gauge wire running from the compressor to a high amp relay, which goes to a resettable circuit breaker, then directly to the battery. It's controlled by a switch I put in the visor holder on the roof of the cab.

Maybe this will help some of you figure out where you can put yours in.

Haven't tried out the puma compressor yet, but it sure is louder than my mv-50 I used to carry around. From the stats, it should be 3 times faster in filling up my tires, too.

IMG_3638.jpg
    IMG_3637.jpg
    IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg

4. Aug 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

These engines starve for heat in winter so youll prob be better off... in summer not so much.

Just get a intake kit and plumb it correctly. When I get home tonight Ill throw you a part number for a kit I got. It's cheap, but built very well.

5. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Here you go... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-9751

I know a few guys who ran this exact same tube for years. I personally have not installed mine yet, but I do have it and also bought some clamps from them for a custom set up when I get around to do it.

My current set up is rusting out from the inside (cheap 3" exhaust tube).

Products Discussed in

To Top