4.30?? 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
MisterM70 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
MisterM70's Tacoma Gallery
3" Lift |Toyo 255/85/16 : 4.56 or 4.88 Regear

Hey Everyone!

I have my mods just about done. Armor, winch, lights etc but I am really missing that stock, hole shot power that I lost when I went to bigger tires. The undue strain on the Tranny and poor gas mileage have me wanting to re gear.

I know these subjects have been beat to hell and back but I run pretty hard in the dirt, on some rocky, technical stuff here in the AZ while being a Daily Driver too. To and From work are all highway and I am typically going 75-80.

I would like to hear from anyone who is running 4.56 or 4.88 with 33's and 3" lift

Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
berk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of light
berk's Tacoma Gallery
I have 4.88's and love them, but I have a 5sp and a 4cyl. I recon with a v6 and the speeds you state that you will want 4.56. I've heard the 6sp manual has a low output ratio in 6th so that's a consideration as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your stock gears.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
4.56s are really more for 35s. If you plan to go 35s some day then hold off and just stay stock. If not then go with the 4.10s
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
berk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of light
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Here we go again. This topic is annoying. Everyone saying what's what and not taking any consideration to the transmission and engine used. Automatics run lower gears than stick shifts. Always has been this and if you don't understand that concept then your advice on gears is confusing and misleading.

Statements like "4.56 is for 35's" is really not helpful sorry
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by berk View Post
Here we go again. This topic is annoying. Everyone saying what's what and not taking any consideration to the transmission and engine used. Automatics run lower gears than stick shifts. Always has been this and if you don't understand that concept then your advice on gears is confusing and misleading.

What exactly is your advice ??
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Lostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to beholdLostsheep is a splendid one to behold
Lostsheep's Tacoma Gallery
I've been contemplating running the 255/85R16's and have been trying to decide if 3.73's and the 6 spd would be sufficient. It appears as though with the manual and 33's you'd still be running higher RPMs at freeway speed than an auto with OEM tires. I've created the following (someone, anyone, feel free to check my math).

Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Great post, welcome to TW! Enjoy some greens on me
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

So whats your advice for the situation other than saying mine is incorrect?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #10

Quote:

Berk! Thanks for hitting the proverbial nail on the head!

While everyone's opinions are just based on their own experience I would really like to hear from the people who have a v6 6spd manual. For example a person who has a manual v6 and does light forest roads only, would most likely be fine in stock gears or 4.10's. My truck is pin striped to hell and back and I have gone through some narly stuff in it: Steep, very rocky terrain.

I want to hear from the people with a v6 6spd who actually do some moderate to difficult trails.

Again,

I know this has been beaten to hell and back and I greatly appreciate everyone's participation.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #11

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ld-thread.html

V6 6 speed running 4.56s with 33s.. his truck sucks on the highway
Old 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #12

Also, my white truck in my sig had stock gears and 33s and ran just fine.

edit: for clarification it was a V6 6 speed as well
Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
6 sp auto with 4.56s and 35s, used to have 33s and it sucked. The difference in 3.73s and 4.10s is negligible. Regearing for 33s is a waste. You won't recoup the money in MPG savings (if there are any), maybe you might win out in the long run if you install the gears yourself. The power gains are also negligible, my truck on 33s with 4.56s still downshifted on steep highway inclines, bridges and what not. If you already have it set in your head what you want, and you have advice from people with the same setup as you, why even ask anyone's opinion?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
6 sp auto with 4.56s and 35s, used to have 33s and it sucked. The difference in 3.73s and 4.10s is negligible. Regearing for 33s is a waste. You won't recoup the money in MPG savings (if there are any), maybe you might win out in the long run if you install the gears yourself. The power gains are also negligible, my truck on 33s with 4.56s still downshifted on steep highway inclines, bridges and what not. If you already have it set in your head what you want, and you have advice from people with the same setup as you, why even ask anyone's opinion?
"6 sp auto with 4.56s and 35s," ? I have a Manual Shift...don't get me wrong, hwy is awesome. I run about 2800 at 80mph. With all the weight of my front bumper, winch, sliders, Toyo MT's, 5 piece skids, bukket gussests, spindle gussets etc etc, the thing is a dog from a dead stop and I end up running out the gears to higher rpms just to hit the power band. On the dirt, that is the least bit sandy or steep, I have to go to 4 low.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Get a v8, idk what to tell you really
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #16

Also, My 255/85/16's are like 33.66 inches, at least if you do the math.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #17

Dude if you want to spend the money and regear just do so. Buy 4.56s. Maybe it will give you an excuse to go to 35s since you wheel so hard out there
Old 08-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Dude if you want to spend the money and regear just do so. Buy 4.56s. Maybe it will give you an excuse to go to 35s since you wheel so hard out there

I definitely appreciate your perspective. I have gotten used to the 3.73's but sorely miss that 1st gear tork. [edit] I have considered 35's too and will most likely go to that diameter on my next set of tires.

Thanks again
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
steelhd is on a distinguished road
steelhd's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done Lostsheep. If your math is correct that deserves a sticky.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #20
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
What exactly is your advice ??
My advice for anyone wanting or wondering to regear is to determine first the size of tire desired, then the top speed that the truck needs to comfortably cruise, then the desired engine rpm of the actual engine in use, AT that hwy top speed.

THEN, find out what the top gear ratio is of YOUR transmission and with this data you will determine the axle ratio that will give you THAT rpm at THAT speed.

This is for a mixed use truck. If it's a crawler that don't care about hwy then adjust this data to fit your needs, but really this is the only way to determine your needed ratio. It has everything to do with how your engine likes to sing at that hwy speed. A V8 will lumber along the hwy at 1300 rpm all day, my 4 cyl prefers to be at more like 2600 rpm at that speed. So, even with the same transmission you can see that I will still want a drastically different ratio on the rear end. And the same is true of two trucks with the SAME engine and tires, but running different transmissions. They will also want different axle ratio.

So, since you know what engine you have, and what tire you want, all you need to find out is what your 6th gear output ratio is, and ask yourself what your hwy cruise speed will be. Then go to grimmjeeper's page to calculate the diff ratio.