1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" or less vs DB suspension kits: The final battle poll

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by freedomriding, Aug 20, 2014.

?

Suspension lift poll: Which is best all around?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2014.
  1. Stock (no lift)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. <3"

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. 3"

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  4. 4-5"

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. 6"

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. >6"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aug 20, 2014 at 12:53 AM
    freedomriding

freedomriding [OP] FREEDOMEDIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    Eibach 2.0, STT PROs, Summit Dakars, JBA
    I had to write this as I've read so much BS on here about DB kits. Here is my opinion based on all the kits, which is a lot, I've personally gone through with my FJ and now Taco. The quote below is what got me posting this

I disagree brother. I've only read positive reviews from all the RCD guys claiming the ride is incredibly smooth with the Bilstein shocks included.

I started with a OME medium on my FJ, then went to the Toytec Ultimate on my Taco then to Fabtech 6" Dirtlogic. They all ride very similar but the Fabtech rode the best because there is no preload on the UCA/LCA. The 6" has better flex than 3" kits as you lose most of the down travel with the 3" kits.

Somehow many people think DB kits are worse for offroad than 3" kits. Your entire drivetrain has more clearance with a 6 or 4.5" kit. That makes a world of difference with forging water or mud.

Pricing is similar because with the 3" kits, you'll need new UCA's which obviously increase parts and installation costs.

Also, with the DB kits, you have much more room for taller tires with way less trimming involved, which in turn gives you better ground and wheel well clearance.

And the issue with cutting the thin cross member out: Have you seen the new cross member and diff skids you get that come with the DB kits? They are SOLID.

2. Aug 20, 2014 at 1:06 AM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    DB lifts will always lose on this site. No point in beating a dead horse. Also, it's against the law to have your own opinion on the internet.

3. Aug 20, 2014 at 1:20 AM
    freedomriding

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    Yep;)

4. Aug 20, 2014 at 3:46 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    This is correct.

Most people on the forums are followers now doers. That being said most people will do what someone tells them to do vs doing it on Thier own. I have a 6 inch db lift, and I don't have a problem with it. People that run 3 inch lift never had a 6 inch lift. We're as people like me went from 3 inch to another 3 inch to a 6 inch db lift. They just talk about what they read on the forums and not even having experience with it.

5. Aug 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    freedomriding

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    No more opinions?

6. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Myself personally have never liked the look of them. They look hokey in my opinion. If your going to go 6in for extra clearance in mud and water, do it right with a SAS.

7. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    Froghunter

Froghunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Auburn, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd sport 4X4
    OME 90000 sport with 885x 1.5" aal
    Well the reason is.. 3 inch can fit 33 inch tires. 6 inch fits 35 only maybe 2 inch gain.. Most 6 inch lifts have huge blocks in back... Not so good for off roading... Plus you should regear for 35's extra cost.. Allot of extra work for 2 inch and more problems. Most Tacoma's I see with 6 inch lifts are road only. Look nice though.

8. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    I agree. I had an OME 3" lift on my 2005 Tacoma. I now have an RCD 5" lift on my 2014 Tacoma. I am MUCH happier with the RCD lift. No rubbing (front and rear when flexing). No cutting. No trimming. Truck flexes better. Truck rides better. I have downward wheel travel. Truck also looks better IMO. I was never a fan of the large tire stuffed in a small fender look.

Sure, I have less clearance where the drop brackets are, but this hasn't been an issue at all for me. The 33s I run give me plenty of clearance for my needs. The added frame clearance has helped. I don't do any rock crawling though. I can see where clearance could be an issue there.

I did put UCAs on this truck as well because I wanted more caster.

9. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    Exactly.

10. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    There are plenty of truck (lots of TW as well) that basically only have the DB cross member left from the original lift components. You can get a great on road ride and off road capability by upgrading to new coilovers (ICON, Fox, etc) and dumping the rear blocks and installing a custom leaf pack. These upgrades are no different than what you would get with a nicer 3" lift set up.

And don't fool yourself into thinking that whopping extra 3 inches makes a big difference in off roading ability.

Every setup has its advantages and disadvantages. Bashing DB lifts is a bit ignorant IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top