Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lunge when Stopped

Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
prclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
prclements's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to prclements
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
haha! I like that! Someone finally owns up and blames themselves instead of the truck or the manufacturer
Even if it was the truck's fault, I'm still in the honeymoon phase (only 5.3k miles) and, therefore, could not possibly bring myself to blame it on the truck, manufacturer, or their assigns and successors.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
Manofs is on a distinguished road

Manofs's Tacoma Gallery
well, i just hit my 5000 mile mark so.......since i have 4 free oil changes for my truck i took it in to get done. upon my arrive at the dealership, i had also realized the same problem, the "lunging" or what i prefer, its like a slight bump from someone behind you. i told this to the service guy, and they looked at it today, they said it had something to do with the brakes, that they were not adjusted correctly...blah, blah, blah, saying this thinking i had no clue about anything. It was late and really didnt feel like getting into a coversation about something i know more about than he probably does. i decided to let it go and take my truck. and to my astonishment, no more "lunge" so......i would have to say have your breaks checked.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #23
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
The reason the lunge is less noticeable is because at low parking lot speeds (and traffic creeping ) the back brakes seem to really do there share, and the brakes do take less pressure to keep vehicle stopped and not subject to roll with just 50-100 RPM increases in engine speed; where as before you may have had 15lbs pressure on the pedal to hold it stopped, it now requires maybe 5lbs. The dealer could have slightly overtightened the brakes, so you may loose a little of the new increase in brake performance. The rear drums seem to always be a little loose on the 2nd series Tacoma's. I adjusted mine up a little about 5-6 months ago, since I could actually hear the shoes moving in and out (while sitting still/parking, not at highway speeds) and sometimes I could release the parking brake and the right rear would not release when in reverse. Drivers side needed about 6 clicks and right rear needed 13. Drove it for a day and checked with infrared temp gun and drivers side drum was about 60º warmer than right side. jacked it up and neither had any drag, so tightened right 5 more clicks and drivers 1 click, both had very minimal drag at this point. About once a month I do a hard 45-55 mph stop just before my driveway and check drum temp after a 5-8 min hot soak and they are always within 5º of each other. Brake pedal gained about 1/2" of height.