Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lunge when Stopped

Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Lunge when Stopped

I have seen some digressions on a couple of other threads about the truck lunging when stopped.

I too have noticed this in my truck, and I wanted to start a whole new thread dedicated to that.

I'd just like to know if anybody else has seen this, does it go away eventually, and if you've talked to Toyota, what was their response?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Can you describe the symptoms?

Coming to a complete stop? Gentel pedal pressure or hard?

While standing stopped? Does it pulsate?

More info please.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
This only happens when I'm already stopped (as in at a red light, etc.), and I have the brake applied fully to remain stopped.

All of a sudden, there is a lunge which actually feels like someone bumped into your rear bumper at a very low speed. 90% of the time, I'll actually look back to make sure this didn't happen.

I've heard on here that some people feel this only when the AC compressor is on, but I've not done any real testing to see if it is limited to when it's on in my truck.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my theory...the lunge is a by-product of the engine load increasing. When the fan or compressor kicks in, the engine idle is too low to support the load. So, the engine idle speed is increased to supply enough juice to the electrical system.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Here's my theory...the lunge is a by-product of the engine load increasing. When the fan or compressor kicks in, the engine idle is too low to support the load. So, the engine idle speed is increased to supply enough juice to the electrical system.
I have noticed a slight idel increase when the AC kicks in or the evap thingy
opens to vent off the gas tank fumes. My GTi used to do this.
But, RPMs never jumped up so much to make the car or truck want to lunge.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Not to worry. It'll go away. It happened to mine when new. It happens intermittently and the cause is the prop shaft not returning into place smoothly upon breaking. It does so a little late and makes the truck lunge. The only remedy is to lube the shaft which Toyota did and the problem went away. Talk to the chief mechanic at the dealership.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I have the lunge too but i never noticed it till i read about it on this site and started looking for it. It doesnt bother me enough to do anything about it.

Themaster: are there any negative long term affects if you dont get this taken care of?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
720 will become famous soon enough
720's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if you had caught this: http://www.wsmv.com/iteam/14304072/detail.html
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Terras is on a distinguished road
Terras's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 Access Cab. On a downhill or flat surface I do not see this much....But if I stop on an incline (so I am not really pushing on the brake that hard) and the AC is on....bingo, when the compressor cycles I feel a slight lurch. It is just like someone very very slightly bumping into you. My truck actually only moves a few inches at best cause the pads do take a better bite, but it is spooky till you know what is really going on

Just my $0.02

T
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
mine still does it at almost 23k miles...so i dont think it has anything to do w/ break in period...but i think its that the brake is barely pushed enough to make the truck sit there and when the a/c pops on it kicks that engine up and bumps it...i think thats all.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #11
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like a plausible explanation...and yes, it is extremely spooky at first...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #12
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Themaster: are there any negative long term affects if you dont get this taken care of?
Not really. Wear and tare will eventually resolve it. Lube will solve it sooner.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
mine still does it at almost 23k miles...so i dont think it has anything to do w/ break in period...but i think its that the brake is barely pushed enough to make the truck sit there and when the a/c pops on it kicks that engine up and bumps it...i think thats all.
I agree with your explaination. The only other thing I can imagine it being is the trany finally kicking into low gear. What I don't understand is why this happens at all. I have had several new vehicles and none of them have done this. My '08 does this too so I'm going to try to make sure I drive around without the AC on and see if it still does it.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
This only happens when I'm already stopped (as in at a red light, etc.), and I have the brake applied fully to remain stopped.

All of a sudden, there is a lunge which actually feels like someone bumped into your rear bumper at a very low speed. 90% of the time, I'll actually look back to make sure this didn't happen.

I've heard on here that some people feel this only when the AC compressor is on, but I've not done any real testing to see if it is limited to when it's on in my truck.
The truck is downshifting back into 1st gear.....you'll feel that rpm increase as it downshifts. Our Grand Cherokee we owned did that also.

It'll feel worse with A/C on because the engine will run a higher rpm with A/C running.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #15
CoopersTacoma is on a distinguished road
CoopersTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has done this since day 1. When stopped at stop light with a/c on or defroster on the truck will lunge forward if you don't have the brake pedal pressed firmly...pain in the ass and unsafe.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #16
2fiddyf is on a distinguished road
2fiddyf's Tacoma Gallery
I have a new 08' and it does this as well .
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
Terras is on a distinguished road
Terras's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, reconfirmed today. My issue has nothing to do with the transmisson nor any drive play, shaft "wind-up", or anything that needs to be lubricated.

I just push slightly harder on the ole brake pedal and viola.....no more slight lurch when the compressor kicks in. Without the compressor operating it never does it.

I Fully believe it is just a case of re-calibrating me.....ha

At any rate, if this happens without the compressor cycling...then one of the other issues mentioned may be causing it.

T
Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
prclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shedprclements is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
prclements's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to prclements
I have the same symptom - lunging when at a complete stop. My personal assessment is lazy brake pressure. I'm seeing a special trainer at the gym in order to compensate.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #19
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I've experienced that lurch too, but haven't diagnosed it. I usually have the radio too loud to hear the compressor. It's starting to bug me. I hope it is as simple as getting used to applying more brake pressure at red lights.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #20
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prclements View Post
I have the same symptom - lunging when at a complete stop. My personal assessment is lazy brake pressure. I'm seeing a special trainer at the gym in order to compensate.
haha! I like that! Someone finally owns up and blames themselves instead of the truck or the manufacturer