1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To CAN-Bus or not to CAN-Bus on 2013 Tacoma / Load Resistors? / LED Relays?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RustyTacomaTruck, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Aug 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    RustyTacomaTruck

RustyTacomaTruck [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    LED lights
    To CAN-Bus or not to CAN-Bus on 2013 Tacoma
    I have done other bulb swaps (headlight HID and backup LED) and am now looking to replace the brake light bulbs and the front daytime running light bulbs with LEDs.

Do I need CAN-Bus bulbs for either in a 2013 Tacoma?

I believe the front daytime running lights are 4157 and the rear brake lights are 3157 (at least according to www.superbrightleds.com). SuperBrightLEDS.com recommends 3157 CAN bulbs for both.

Current running lights are "yellow" in front so should I go with amber?

Red for brake lights?

Also, any suggestions on the rear brake/turn signal lights in terms of needing load resisters or an LED relay?

Many Thanks!

2. Aug 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    MarkH

MarkH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    The 2013 already has LED brake lights, they come standard. Unless you are talking about the Center Brake Light, which I can't help you on as mine was disconnected when the shell was installed. As for the front turn signals, I installed V-LED Switchback LEDs in my 2013. I had to use the SCK adapter when I installed them, otherwise I would blow the fuse immediately. One guess on how I know this;)

And I am pretty sure that Toyota does not use CAN Bus, that is used mostly by European car companies.

3. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    RustyTacomaTruck

RustyTacomaTruck [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    LED lights
    Thanks MarkH. I mis-typed: The top bulb in the rear lights is the blinker (not brake) which looks to be a conventional bulb.

Others have said "Gen 1" Tacoma trucks didn't have CAN Bus but that the Gen 2 probably did.

4. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    MarkH

MarkH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    OK, quite a few of the European car companies monitor some of the lights and will give you a bulb out message when a bulb fails. LED bulbs draw so little power that the will trip a bulb out message even though they are working. You have to install a different LED bulb if your car is equipped with this system. The Tacoma does not monitor and test the bulbs, so you do not need install a CAN Bus bulb when upgrading to LED bulbs. Note that you will need a load resistor, either standalone or built into the bulb, for turn signals.

T-Buck15 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top