1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many have added lifts for looks only?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shwaa, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    So how many of you have had your trucks lifted for looks only basically? As opposed to "needing" the extra clearance for off-roading?

Not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious as to others priorities with their truck.

2. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I would venture to guess 90%

3. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    I don't do off roading and I don't care for a few inches higher either. What I'd love to do which can't be done is to make the Taco wider-close to the width of F150. Impossible!

Shoot, I just realize I was describing a Tundra. Was I?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    757 Taco

757 Taco StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCLB TRD Sport Premium 4x4 Ice Cap
    - Digital Fit WeatherTechs - Recovery Hitch Shackle - LED Map Lights - LED License Plate Bulbs - TRD License Plate Brackets - Front Recovery Shackle - Toyota Bed Mat -OEM Mudflaps -OEM Black emblem overlays - Removed front air dam - Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16 - TRD Pro wheels
    Me, I don't really care what people think. I spend my money how I want and mostly all for looks. It's a 30k truck that's my DD so I like to keep it clean and looking good. I've done a few small trails but 95% on road driving for me

5. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    jktwenty

jktwenty Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    little 4x4
    I put in a spacer lift the day i brought it home from the dealership, i drive 99% onroad, but once a week it goes down a muddy trail for about 1/8 a mile. It just makes it feel like a "Beefier" truck.

6. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    NCtaco914

NCtaco914 MALLIN'CRAWLIN'

Member:
    First Name:
    NEIL
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD O/R
    I agree 100% with you. Feel the same way about my truck. Bust my butt everyday for it. However, I do occasionally wheel it..Most of it very light and just like to enjoy it. My lift does serve a purpose and especially my tires. I live in the mtns where winters are somewhat harsh and my truck gets me around anywhere I need to go. In all everything i've done does serve its purpose very well and looks freakin' good at the same time! :cool:

I more less enjoy looking at pics of ppl beating their rigs down..Noticing lots of more 12's & 13's getting wheel'd hard. Which is great to see that our trucks can take the abuse.

7. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I'm sure there's a 4" or 6" wider per-side long-travel kit available through one of the vendors. :)

8. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    LT and swap the rear axle, you can go pretty wide

9. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    braik

braik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4.0L 4x4 BASE
    2" Ironman 4x4 (B) Front Spacer Level LR UCAs Level 8: Tracker Wheels 255/75 Cooper ATPs Welded Rock Sliders Weathertech floormats Wet Okole seat covers JVC Head Unit Diff Breather Mod Zip Tie Mod Needle Bearing Mod HID Retrofit (Acura TL-R)
    That would apply to me sort of. I don't off-road, nor do I really do anything but drive it to work and back.

Thing is, I bought the Tacoma because it was simple, sturdy, reliable, and modification friendly. I am a mild prepper at heart, and I can't stop tinkering. It came mostly stock with a tonneau and spacer lift. So far I've put sliders on it, retrofitted my own HID headlights, relocated my differential breather, replaced the stereo with a better one, and put weathertechs and wet okoles in it. Plus I've started buying a better suspension lift one piece at a time, as well as sound dampening materials.

This truck is my project, my hobby. And I want some higher fucking ground clearance because I think that's what will perform best. So I'll have it. So did I do it for looks? No, not really. But that's a nice bonus.

10. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    Now that you mentioned it, I took my Taco to the garden on a rainy day a few wks ago and I spun it around on the mudd. It was odd that I didn't want to wash the mudd off cuz it looked more like a "beefier" truck with a purpose. Got home and I flipped the hood and looked inside the engine compartment and mudd were thrown all over on the engine and all over the inside of the hood. I thought, damn Toyota should have made it better to prevent this!!!! I wasn't happy with Toyota for cutting corners on a $34k truck so I decided to wash off the mudd.

11. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    NosiBaLasi

NosiBaLasi RESULTS, not excuses

Member:
    First Name:
    Jones
    Home of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force
    Vehicle:
    IG: overlandhd & tacoma_2gen_hq
    All in "My Build" page
    AMEN on that !!!

12. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    I like going to the beach, so I got a Tacoma, then I undercoated it, then shit got out of control and All-Pro had free shipping for a limited time, so I ordered trail armor, but then i needed a new(real) skid plate to go with it, but that crushed my stock suspension, so I went with OME to upgrade it, but then I wanted tires to match my lift so I got 285/75/16 tires, but then I needed wider wheels to match those...

The point is that I was going to keep it very mild at first but we all know it can get out of hand pretty quickly.

I'd say while my rig is functional now that I finished modding my inner fender wells to clear at full Lock and Compression, I don't do nearly the amount of Off Road/Overland that my truck is capable of... which means it was done mostly for looks.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  13. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    My lift is just for looks. I wanted to be able to see my truck above the hybrids at the mall.

14. Aug 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

15. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Tao Zero

Tao Zero Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do you consider off-roading going to a campground that doesn't have showers and power?

16. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Not a lift per-se, but I added the Bilstein 5100's to my truck to level the front end, for looks only. I like the level look.

17. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    The real question to me is how often do you offroad vs. how often do you wish you could off road. In my particular case...I did my lift for looks with the added benefit of functionality. It will get used so when that time comes, I'm glad I did it.

18. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    Interesting replies here. I may do it myself eventually. I have a shell coming next week, and I think adding a slight lift after would make it look even better. Low on the priorities for me right now ($$$) but certainly of interest

19. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    IronPig

IronPig Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit, LR UCA's, T3 eyelids, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, FN Type X wheels, Debadged, Homer Taco Raptor Grill and lower valance grill, painted lower valance, blacked out skid plate, Flyze Eye interior light, LED interior lights, EZ down tailgate
    I have a DCLB and without the lift and smaller tires (came with 245's) it looked like a stretch limo. I don't do rock crawling or hard core off road, but I will take a fire road or trail when getting to a back packing trail head. We went last week to a hiking spot that a car would get its ass kicked on. With the lift, it makes the truck look proportional, looks bad ass, and has SOME functionality. You can get a lift for relatively cheap, just stay away from super cheap like blocks, etc..

20. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Mostly for looks (every once and awhile it goes offroad to a riding spot), lets be honest the factory stance especially the access cab is kinda crappy/dinky looking. And for how easy it is to lift its not a bad idea. Just looks tons better/appealing. I could get an extra $1-2k on top of kbb value because of it and likely have an easier time selling it/trading it in. Everytime I stop by my dealer for something, etc. They ask about the lift and if I wanna trade/sell her.

Products Discussed in

To Top