1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long travel kits for a beginner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FastPace, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Aug 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    FastPace

FastPace [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    Hey guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on the All Pro +2 LT kit and had a few questions.

I read the thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lo...-considering-long-travel-read-here-first.html) which says LT kits are a PITA, everything breaks, and you have to be good with cars to do the upkeep. I am a beginner to cars and trucks, and am worried I won't have the skills necessary to fix it and know what is wrong if something breaks.

I will be using the LT kit for its functionality, mostly daily driving and offroading. Nothing wild like jumping, etc. Do you think it will still give me problems if I use it like this?

2. Aug 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    no expert in lt kits, but you are essentially changing one of the most, if not THE most important aspect in regard to your trucks driveabillity.

lots of people do it, but imo, once done, your truck is not as much of a truck anymore. more of a race-car, looks awesome, performs awesome, but is not at all the factory taco you bought.

what im getting at is, Toyota had the r+d to try and give you the most versatile system possible, and it works. your lt kit supplier likely hammered the piss out of it in some whoop sections and said its good as long as this and that and the other thing are checked and maintained.

Toyota made the system so that it impresses average joe driving through gravel, impresses grandma as she crosses over rr tracks, and keeps the truck from rolling over when your wife decides that emergency braking is not complete without cranking the wheel full right. all this while ideally lasting the lifetime of the truck

I dunno, im babbling, your getting stronger than stock, but YOU have to keep it that way, and if you go through the hassle of install, then you will know which components to watch, lubricate, etc. have faith in yourself, and go for it!

3. Aug 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    FastPace

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    Thanks for your input! I'm trying to get as much information as I can before pulling the trigger on a lift

4. Aug 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM
    FastPace

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    What lifts do you think doesn't jack up the truck?

5. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:24 AM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
  6. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    My truck is 100% daily driver, grocery getter, and my weekend toy. I have Total Chaos' 3.5+ kit, and I use it for dual purposes (desert running and rock trails). Other than greasing the zerks on each joint once or twice and recharging the nitrogen in my shocks, I've never had to do any other form of maintenence you wouldn't have to do on a bone stock Tacoma.

I think it's way too exaggerated when people say you lose the driveablility. The only thing that changed for me was my steering doesn't come back to center as fast, and that's only because I'm running big heavy 35's.

Hell, even mid travel I had to check my nitrogen and grease the UCA zerks...it's all the same. All in all, going LT was the best decision I made on my truck, and going with Total Chaos Fabrication was the best choice for me. After seeing the kind of engineering they put into their products, and how they're proven, I was sold.

Watch this video we made on their company, and you'll see they didn't "just weld some shit together and hammer the whoops."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvRgFzoQyIE

7. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    if you're going to do "nothing wild" why are you looking at LT?

8. Aug 25, 2014 at 2:06 AM
    FastPace

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    Thanks for your input Traveler! The LT kit has given you no problems? Do you jump your truck etc?

I want a truck that can take me anywhere..whether that be on the beach, up some rocks, through the trails or up the mountains. From what I read I figured LT kits would be the best. Do you have any suggestions on what would give me that capability if not LT?

Also, just to confirm, long, mid, and extended travel kits are different from coilovers such as King, Fox, Icon, Bilsteins right? The coilovers seem to not have much travel, thats why I was looking at LT. Any help would be AWESOME!

9. Aug 25, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Solid axle conversion! !

10. Aug 25, 2014 at 3:49 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I am on an OME (old man emu) lift and I still go everywhere. Driver experience and locked front and rear helps tremendously.

11. Aug 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I beat my truck pretty good, jumps, desert roads, sand, rocks, I put it up against everything. Been a year, so far no problems at all. Been extremely happy with it!

Coilovers will give you a few inches of extra travel if you get the ones with extended travel shock shafts. But that, in combination with an upper control arm, make up the front components of a mid travel kit.

12. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    FastPace

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    Can I get some pics of your truck?

How much did your whole setup cost you after install?

13. Aug 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    Do LT's move the front wheel center forward?

14. Aug 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    $3205 for the kit, $1400 for coilovers, $605 for axles, and I did the install myself.
    That is all caster angle. Mine is rather center for my 35's.

15. Aug 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    You DO not need lt for an all around bomber, the bigger track width can kinda screw you on sum 4wd trails, truck is big enough as it is, plus the amount of money u spend on an lt front end can give you a pretty solid front and rear mid travel setup that will perform very well. And you should consider the additional stuff u should be doing that goes with a lt kit like spindle, cam, and tower gussets, minimum, if u really womp on it, engine mounts, engine cage...the list is endless really. And if your just gunna buy a lt kit and think your set your wrong. It's your money and do whatever u want, but you really should look at the whole picture.

16. Aug 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    I have a solid mid travel setup and all my shit is gusseted, helps if you know how to weld:)
    My truck will go just about anywhere and it hauls ass off-road to where ur butthole puckers, next is a crawl box and it'll climb a wall. The amount of cash u spend on long travel for a grocery getter is kinda silly. And a long travel front with a standard rear end is retarded unless you like bucking broncos, if you want to jump your truck learn to weld and build the proper rig cause half assing shit is stupid

17. Aug 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    TYetti

TYetti 4cylinders of awesomeness

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    Just thought I'd chime in here at the end of the day it's your truck and you do what you want with it, but all I've done is add sliders and tires and remove sway bars from my truck and it's done everything I've asked of it on and off the road, and I'm talking some of the best trails around locally to the daily to and from work, will I be upgrading absolutely but that's only because I've reached the limits of stock suspension, and even then I've decided to go with a nitro charger shock and spring combo vs a coil over or lt, but that's because I believe lt is more suited for high speed desert running vs the slow crawl terrain that bc has to offer, there are lots of examples of setups from various builds in suggest you read up and learn from others, I know I have learned greatly from reading but even more from getting out on the trails to the point where for me locking is more important than lifting

Good luck

18. Aug 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    weezer

weezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    southeast
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, OME lifting springs, Ivan Stewart 16x8 wheels, AT tires
    the thing i can't stand about LT is that the front tires stick out wider than the rears. i just think it looks goofy. :laugh:

19. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    LikeABoss4x4

LikeABoss4x4 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    So Cal
    I ran the AP LT kit on my '08 Tacoma. It is a great kit that didn't require a whole lot of maintenance, but that can vary depending on climate. For me, the main benefit was being able to run 35s for a noticeable change in ground clearance, as well as the tires having more contact with the ground due to the increased travel, giving better traction. Of course ride quality is improved as well and a front locker definitely helps too, but most important is driving ability and having a good spotter on tough trails... just my 2 cents.

20. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM
    FastPace

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Mississippi
    What is gussetted? I saw your truck.. wouldn't 12" coilovers be considered long travel?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top