1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For anyone with a driver door rattle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Slipstream87, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Aug 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    For the rattles vs squeek check your door panel. The plastic part that holds my switches rattled a bit. I just used some insolite foam so the plastics didn't touch. Also the seat belt adjuster-thing rattles like hell in my 2011. Again, foam fixed that but I can't adjust it or I have to re-do the foam.

Might be worth while to take your door panel off and listen for the rattle again. That way you can rule out if its plastics or not.

2. Aug 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    jessandjamie

jessandjamie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    I had a weather strip issue on my passenger door. Over bumps in the road the door would shift ever so slightly and cause what sounded like a rattle. I ended up wedging a thin strip of rubber between the weather stripping on the door frame and the cab itself. Seems to have fixed it for now. It appeared to be sticking and then gettting unstuck. That piece of rubber seemed to push the weather strip out farther and make a more positive contact.

Lomez likes this.
  3. Aug 29, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    Slipstream87

Slipstream87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    5100's w/ 285 KO2's, AFE CAI, MBRP Catback, BAMF Grill, remote start, oemaudioplus setup, sound deadened
    For me... it wasn't anything in the plastic. It was the door itself and weatherstripping did not help. even getting every piece on the door and the cab replaced. And when I was at freeway speeds, prior to the new weatherstripping, it whistled if it was windy out. Its up by my ear. Has gotten better since the new weatherstripping, but still makes a sound that drives me nuts as its right in my ear

4. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    jessandjamie

Member:
    Arizona
    I to have/had a whistle at highway speeds with a crosswind. I haven't heard it since I shimmed out the weather stripping on the frame. Not saying its your issue but roll up the window and push out in the upper corner and see if it makes the noise. Thats where I had to shim my weather stripping.

5. Aug 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    My window rattles when it is half way down, never been able to fix it. The dealer says they can't do anything for me.

6. Aug 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    My 06 had a rattle in the drivers side door.
    I googled "how to remove Tacoma door panel" and some nice looking girl in shorts showed me how...I watched it 6 times, wife was not impressed...

Anyway, I found a window track bolt almost ready to fall out. Tightened back up and no more rattle...I miss my cut off short gal. Hopefully my 14 Tacoma will develope th same rattle so I can google how to remove the door panel again...

7. Aug 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    Slipstream87

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    5100's w/ 285 KO2's, AFE CAI, MBRP Catback, BAMF Grill, remote start, oemaudioplus setup, sound deadened
    Any chance you can snap me a picture exactly where you put that rubber? That's exactly whats going on with me... upper corner near my ear, and yes a whistle with high crosswind

8. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    mAtTyG04

mAtTyG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quick Sand OR
    6112 Front Suspension, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Nitto Ridge Grappler - LT285/75R17 C, Rear Blackout Tacoma Badge, De-badged, Icon Rebound Wheels, TRD Grill Gights, CBI Ditch Light Brackets w/ Baja Design Lights, Husky Liners, JBA UCAs, Geenlane Off-road Sliders, Tacotrooper Decal, DuraBump Rear Bump Stops, Pro-clip USA Phone Mount
    HERE [​IMG]

9. Aug 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    Chicane

Chicane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    So Cal(Huntington Beach)
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport

This^^^.. It sounds like the window is rubbing on the weather stripping from the normal vibrations of driving. When I push on the inside rubber seal about left ear height, the noise stops. Annoying as hell.

10. Aug 29, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Same problem 2009 AC. Driver side door. Mine almost sounds like its coming from inside door.

11. Aug 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    ProPhaze777

ProPhaze777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yakima,wa
    Vehicle:
    '14 trd offroad black
    Mine is driving me CRAZY!! Less than 1000 miles and it almost em seems like I have a rattle in the front and back! Not even my 11' kia rattles like this.. :'(
    Wonder if my dad's 10 tacoma sport has any rattles

12. Aug 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    Spidious

Spidious 2006 Tacoma SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma SR5
    Forward & reverse camera monitoring Bed Mat Tyger Black Tonneau Cover Tyger Sport Bar, 36" led light bar Hikity Android Car Radio Pro grill with lights Sport hood Cold air intake Sprint Booster throttle controller Flip down bed extender 265/75R15 tires 2"spacers New led tail lights Internal/external thermometer Chrome Bullbar Chrome step tubes LED F&R led turn lights
    Mine has the rattle in the drivers door also. But I also noticed that the drivers door seems to tight compared to the passenger side. When I ope the drivers side it pops open like it is adjusted to tight..

13. Aug 30, 2014 at 4:54 AM
    mainetaco14

mainetaco14 Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5
    Truxsport Tonneau, Front Window Tint, Weathertech Floor Mats, AVS Window Vent Visors
    I've got a rattle in my dash that comes and goes. When you apply pressure to dash above radio it goes away. Anyone else have this issue and if so what was the fix?

14. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    My 2013 was doing the same and my dealer fixed it the 1st time and it hasn't made any noise since. They said the door was out of line , so they moved it. The mechanics at my dealer no there stuff. It was something with the weather strip, but you need to move the door to fix it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  15. Aug 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    And she's back!
    :D

16. Aug 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    jessandjamie

Member:
    Arizona
    Sorry for the late reply. Heres a picture showing a little of the rubber behind the weather stripping. Kinda difficult to remove the weatherstripping and then more difficult wedging it all back on.

photo 1.jpg

Heres the rubber I put in. Real thin and was cut into long strip (I got it with a removable sliding dog door).

photo 2.jpg

17. Feb 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM
    Slipstream87

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4

Appreciate that... i'll have to run by Ace Hardware, see if I cant find anything that might work like that. As far as the TSB, (just had the 20K maintenance done), they said they're still working on writing up the TSB. I don't have much faith in it, considering they've a) replaced every single one of my weather stripping on the door, and b) adjusted the door, as well as adjusted the locking mechanism on the door jam... Its getting worse :(

18. Nov 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM
    UltraE05

UltraE05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Crew Cab
    My 2010 was doing this and i tightened the bolts for the tweeter and noise went away.

19. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    Toy1985gc

Toy1985gc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport 4WD DCLB Tech Pckg Cement
    3 & 1 leveling kit 32 BFG KO's x17 Method Roost wheels/ TRD Skid
    Update to all-

yesterday I made another attempt to repair this damn rattle and it worked! below is list of stuff i did from everyone's tips!

-Armoral wiped driver door seal
    -add pipe insulation in on the very top of door panel-black top section (between panel and door) cut insulation in half since really thick
    -added double sided tape between door panel and door

to be honest not sure what exactly fixed the rattle- but my drive to gym @ 4 AM this morning was very nice and quite! I also added a small thin rip of pipe insulation between dash and windshield to take care of annoying rattle at center of dash- this also worked!!! Thanks to all the tips guys- hopes this helps others.

I have been dealing with this rattle since since i bought truck new in 2013. It got worse over the last 2 months. Ive spent prbly $100 bucks in material/dyno matt, pulled driver side panel off at least 30 times. Taken to dealer twice for repair with no luck! Brought up at 10K service and 50K service. Another good tip is adding fabric/rattle tape to white clips that hold panel in place.

I know this isn't a luxury car and over times things happen. Yet, this being a Japanese manufacture I'm shocked they let this slip and didn't do a better job of QC! I've worked for a Japanese motorcycle OEM and I know the high expectations they have. I did a lot of R&D testing with engineers on M/C's so i know what they expect. I had a 05 Chevy 1500 and never had this issue/ same goes for my 07 Frontier. Yes, some could say I'm anal- but not the case. We all know this is the best truck on the market- just expect a little more QC from Toyota.Especially when this is a $30K+ truck!! Again- sorry for my rant haha- Just been along time coming for this fix! Good thing- rattle now gone- hope these tips can help others!

20. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:13 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Good info.
    I have a 2010. All four of my doors rattle like a mofo!! Even head liner rattles. But when I turn the radio down. Everything stops rattling....:)

Products Discussed in

To Top