1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

30K Service items...are they serious!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yamabiker, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Apr 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    yamabiker

yamabiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    I took my, new to me, 2006 Tacoma into the Toyota dealer to get the leafspring TSB approval. They also did a free courtesy inspection. Truck has 30500 miles and I was wondering about how necessary a couple of items are. I will do all that I can myself. I can't wait to change the oil and remove that conveniently located oil filter.:)

So let me know how necessary the following items are:
    1. Clean and service throttle body and Mass air flow sensor and Decarb top engine? What is decarbing the top engine??? Cost $249
    2. Perform 4x4 sevice. The truck is in good shape and has not been seriously offroaded...yet:D. SHould I wait unitl 60k?

Thanks

Yamabiker

2. Apr 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The throttle body service sounds a bit fishy..... Go buy some fuel treatment (like Techron or similar) and run it in the gas. That should be enough.
    Atleast, that's what I would do.

The 4X4 service is probably a good idea to do it - you can do it yourself. Even if you don't offroad, it's a good idea to do everything (front/rear diff & transfer case).

I think dealerships & shops are desperate for cash/work. They're suggestive selling all sorts of crap you don't need yet - and they hate hearing you say..."I'll do that myself"

3. Apr 17, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Hi Janster, how often do you use the Techron? The label says 3,000 miles but it's $15. I just put it in at 10,000. Thanks

4. Apr 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    use the techron about every 5k.....at least that's what I would recommend.

5. Apr 17, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    TheTacoManChach

TheTacoManChach I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fayetteville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Halo Headlights Black W/ LED LED TailLights Bermuda 3rd Brake Black Pioneer/Alpine System Debadge Entire Rebadge Driver Side Door Black Volant CAI Tool Box ARB Front Bumper Flat Black Painted Grill Surround
    drop it in whenever you feel like it
    whats 15 dollars every 10th fill up or so

6. Apr 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    get the bg 44k and run it through every 10-15k it works really well or seafoam that work well to

7. Apr 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Well I'm here to learn, so what's get the bg 44k mean, guess I missed something. Seafoam is scary, I've seen it on UTube and people on here say it can loosen up stuff that F's up the bearing. Thanks

8. Apr 17, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    bg is the brand makes great stuff everything from intake cleaner to fuel line cleaner and everything in between go to your local toyota or any car dealer and ask parts person, i dont know about seafoam messing bearings up never heard of that one. i stick with bg and run it in my fleet of trucks every 10k and you should notice it almost immediatly

9. Apr 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I'd never heard of bg always used Techron but then never go to the dealer, just hate the way they rip me when I buy a Tacoma cause they know I want it, so I buy and never go back.

10. Apr 18, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    FWIW, most 30K recomendations are not needed.

"Clean and service throttle body and Mass air flow sensor and Decarb top engine"

None of these are needed. Federal requirments dictate that fuel purchased at the pump must have a minimum amount of "De- carb" addatives. I have never needed to have a dealer "De-carb" my engines. This is something that used to be needed in the days when Lead Fuel was run thru engines.
    Same with the Throttle Body and MAF. When carbs were the dominant air/fuel mixer on engines, it was common for them to need cleaning at 30K. Now days, it vitually a thing of the past. As no fuel goes thru the throttle body, there is no varnish build up, therefore, nothing to need cleaning. Yes, the MAF and Throttle can get dust on them........EVENTUALLY, but nothing you cant clean yourself with a can of good electronics contact cleaner. Save the money. At 100,000 miles, look at your stuff, and decide then if you want to, or if it needes to be cleaned.

11. Nov 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    Cavender76

Cavender76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint Cavender
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Removed Window Sticker
    What do you think of SeaFoam?

12. Nov 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    If the manual is in your truck, I'd go by that-- my manual has a checklist for stuff at every 5k miles-easy to keep track of oil changes and stuff there.-- You can probably get a manual for free online somewhere-- did that when I lost one out of my last truck

13. Nov 24, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4

I have heard horror stories on forums in the past but most of that is because the person was a dumbass and poured it in their crankcase and didnt follow the directions.

I have used seafoam on tons of cars and never had a problem.

I always suck half the can through a vacum line, let it burn off. then pour the other half in the gas tank.

14. Nov 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    +1 on the Seafoam. I've used it in everything from old jetskis to carbed sportbikes, it always takes the varnish and junk off any surface it comes into contact with.

And the service items are a great way for the dealerships to make money.
    Do some research, buy some tools, learn to do it yourself.

15. Nov 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I only complete what is in the Owners Manual Supplement that comes with the vehicle. If the Toyota engineers thought that the Tacoma needed to be decarbed every 30K miles, it would be in the manual.

Service intervals can also be found on toyota.com (or toyota.ca for us Canadians).

16. Nov 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Seafoam is great, but I think you really don't need to use it under 80,000-100,000 miles. I use the Techron stuff about every 8,000 miles, seems to work just fine.

I think I will use seafoam when I reach 100,000 miles, and I would suggest the same.

Products Discussed in

To Top