1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Morons that work at the dealership !!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hot2na, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Sep 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Can't blame the dealership for a bad axle seal...and if you don't follow the manual on fluid spec, the dealer is not liable. Time to relax a bit.

2. Sep 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I love how some people will test the intelligence of some customers, just to get out of having their shop pay for it.

I wonder how many women he's tried this on?

The OP is right, he is a moron.

3. Sep 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    You just described my life, but I also have to work most Saturdays, and we don't do a lot of balances with rotates, but 99% of our jobs are oil change,rotate, and multi point inspection.

Tonight we had a service writer bring in a vehicle for a oil change and multi point 20 minutes before we closed (company policy is to not take vehicles past 5:30 so we can close at 6:00) and I was the only guy working on it, 3 others guys in the shop, one finishing another vehicle, one putting away tools, and one just standing around. It kinda pissed me off.

4. Sep 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    rusbob

rusbob Active Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5 4x4
    You are kind of ocd but i like that. How so you get the engine bay so clean? I always thought you could short some shit out if you sprayed water on the electricals? Do tell...

5. Sep 13, 2014 at 2:22 AM
    Hot2na

Hot2na [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AMSOIL exceeds standard toyota gear oil in every way...If this was a problem why aren't more people experiencing this ? AND...the dealer offers a synthetic gear oil by BG as an alternative to the toyota product...Why would they do so if synthetics are "so thin " and bad for the seal ?

So u need to relax a bit....

6. Sep 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I was under the impression that Amsoil did NOT meet the API specs on GL5 gear oil...Am I incorrect?

Howard

7. Sep 13, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I umderstand that they screwed up the oil change in the beginning with the drain plug and fill plugs....

Explain how that caused the axle seal to leak. I'm not seeing this as their issue.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. Sep 13, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    (This is meant in humor)

Didn't you know? Whenever a technician touches the car, EVERYTHING is his fault. If I changed the oil, and the driver's window stopped rolling down, well heck, that is MY fault.

That being said in humor, you have no idea how many times it happens in real life. Their excuse always is "Well it wasn't doing that when we brought it in to you". To which I always ask them something like "How can the window not rolling down be affected because I changed your oil?" I am telling you customers will ARGUE this until they are blue in the face.

9. Sep 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.

Yea, I'm sure this happens. Customers trying to get something corrected for free, etc., etc., etc.

But I am sure, you very well know, that this actually occurs and also happens to be true, generally, in all dealerships. How do I know this to be fact? Because I experienced it, that's why.
    I remember once, years ago before my wife drove her Toyota 4Runner, she drove a Mitsubishi Diamanti. We took it to the dealer for some minor recall work that needed to be done on it. Now I take care of everything on our vehicles and make sure prior to taking it anywhere to be worked on, other than what needs to be worked on, that everything else is actually working like it should be. Well after they finish what was needed, we get called that our vehicle is just about ready for us to pickup but that they were currently washing it. I think, O K cool! Well as the tech/individual that drives up into the bay area with our car for delivery, I quickly notice that the radio attenna is up? You see, this car's antenna has a retractable rear antenna that is activated when the radio is turned on and de-activates (retracts) when the radio is turned off. After he parks it, shuts off the vehicle, noticed that the attenna is slowly decending down and hands me the keys then walks off, we get in, start the vehicle and the radio automatically turns on and we hear this grinding-wobbly-struggling sound in the back. I quickly look back and notice the antenna is not fully up and is struggling since the motor mechanism is just grinding trying to extend the antenna fully up!
    Well right then and there I turn off the vehichle and ask to speak to the Service Manager. Explain 'eveything' to him on just what happen. He looks at me with a look like I am trying to pull a fast one on him. He looks over the paper work on what was actually being done on the vehicle then goes and talks to the individual that just dropped the vehicle off to us. He comes back and sits at his desk then says that the tech told him that the radio worked fine when he got in the vehicle and that all he did was drive it through their wash-bin and that was it? I explain to the service manager that yes the radios antenna was working fine before I brought it to them but did you ask him if he drove the vehicle through the wash-bin with the radio on? He had to because that would damage the antenna and that clearly is stated in the Owners Manual? The manual clearly stated that the vehicles antenna needed to be dis-engaged prior to driving it through an automated car wash. If not then damage could occur to the antennas motor. I started to quickly think that this had to happend before with other customers because he quickly tells me that its a "my word against their word" sort of thing? WTF is that!?
    After a back and forth of words he says that "if" I would purchase the antenna motor mechanism part that they would replace it, labor free?
    I'm thinking to myself, "fuck no"! I shouldn't have to pay anything for someone else's mistake. Well after talking to that "moron" I take it up the next level. Now that individual was more understanding and took the time to actually 'listen' to the customer and well after reviewing the whole thing and speaking to those involved he tells us that they would correct it by replacing the antennas motor.
    So yes, there are customers who try to pull a fast one and see if they can get shit done for free but there are those customers that are true, honest and genuine but get caught by "MORONS" at the dealership!
    Yea, I know, I know, one can say something like...."well that wasn't a true tech-mechanic" that worked on your vehicle, it was a kid, etc., etc. and true and yes this could happen on just about anything, appliances, etc., etc. But we are not talking about anything else but vehicle dealerships and the morons that work at them which is the main subject here from the original post.

10. Sep 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    I have had Amsoil synthetic in my diffs for almost 25,000 miles now. I was just under my truck last night rotating my tires and such. I even have curse of the floppy driver's side CV axle, and my front diff is bone dry in all the right places.

11. Sep 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Se, this is where my humor was directed towards something totally different. Yea, I see the antenna issue all the time. My joke was more towards the " You changed my oil and now the power windows don't work, and that is your fault." that we get all the time. I totally buy the radio antenna thing, and have seen it happen before. Usually we just replace the antenna and it is paid for from the 67D account, and then the employee who screwed up get a nice lecture on costing the company money. He/she is also told if it happens a second time, they will be looking for a new job.

Every dealership service department has a 67D account. A percentage (usually 2%) of the monthly profit gets deposited into this account, and is used to pay for things like this. It is never sent to "company til profit" because it is designed exactly for paying for mistakes, things that just "break" when working on a vehicle, etc.

12. Sep 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Hot2na

Member:

'NUFF SAID .....HETKIND ... and while u are at it read the amsoil bottle :
    "Recommended for use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gear applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J, or the differential (hypoid) gear oil specifications from all domestic and foreign manufacturers such as GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler. Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  13. Sep 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    I am not the one with a leaking axle seal. Does amsoil meet the gl-5 specification? I don'T care what the bottle claims as suitable use.

14. Sep 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM
    Hot2na

Member:
    Got the truck back yesterday...They claim the gear oil I saw on the diff & skidplate was a result of the original moron overfilling the diff & it being "blown around" ....yeah right !
    anyway they cleaned it all off and drove it some 95 miles over the weekend and it remains BONE DRY...So the front axle seal was NOT the problem...
    They invited me to drive it in there as much as I like over the next month or 2 and they will put it back on the lift and give it a thorough inspection...I plan to take them up on that offer , since I live close by....

15. Sep 16, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:

Glad they got the differential oil tight...if the diff is WAY overfilled, you could see some froth out of the breather. I have also seen froth out of the breather when either cheap gear oil is used or it is water contaminated at it froths, or after it gets really warm, say after a long highway drive.

16. Sep 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    Hot2na

Member:

LIke a frothy head on an ice cold head of Beer ????

after this ...I could use one

17. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    actually, more like the frothy head of warm keg beer...

18. Sep 17, 2014 at 2:13 AM
    Hot2na

Member:
    Took it on the beach yesterday & four-wheeled the heck out of it....everything drivetrain wise was buttery smooth....no leaks...it was a success

19. Sep 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    are you serious man!? unbelievable :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20. Sep 18, 2014 at 3:15 AM
    Ehc0720

Ehc0720 Active Member

Member:
    I took my 2014 TRD Sport in because I was getting ice cold water dripping on my right foot as a driver and left foot on the passenger side, mostly when I make a turn. This is what I told them when I dropped it off. Srv rep calls and tells me they could not get it to repeat this, so I said I'll be there to take a test ride with you. So I get there and checked the mileage, they never test drove it. We go for a ride, after 2-3 minutes we take a few turns and ta,da!!! water drips on our feet. Back to the shop. Next day they call me and say, " they all do that". So much for help from the dealer shop.

Products Discussed in

To Top