1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good in Snow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pitthunter, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    The best solution would be get a second set of steel rims with snow tires. Since your current tires are new you could swap both sets until they wore out. Option 2 would be sell your current tires and get a set of at's that are rated with the snowflake symbol or at least get good snow reviews.

The M+S rating is kind of pointless, it doesn't really signify a good winter tire. The only all season I have experience with is the ltx ms2, it did well for me for 5 seasons but it's definitely not winter tire and I had to put it in 4 wheel drive pretty much every time it snowed. I have open country at2's now but haven't used them yet in winter so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do well.

Get a couple bags of tube sand and secure them in the back, I use the d rings in the corner by the tailgate and some short straps so the bags don't move.

2. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    hotrod45

hotrod45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    sarasota fl
    Vehicle:
    16 sr 5 access cab
    throw a couple of sand bags from home depot or similar in the box.

3. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Then I suggest the snow and ice tires. ;)

4. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Sand bags do help getting started, but they also add weight (inertia) which makes it more difficult to stop or turn. Proper tires are the answer if you want the most secure driving experience.

5. Aug 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I have BFG ATs which I have taken through a decently bad New England winter with basically zero issue. Last winter I didn't feel like subjecting my wheels/tires to a bad of salt so I bought a set of Hankook I-Pike RW11 winter tires mounted on stock wheels and I found them to be excellent in snow/ice conditions.

Whether dedicated snow tires are overkill can be debated, but I am quite pleased and would do it again. I paid approximately $860 for my setup. Granted, I spent about $960 for what I purchased from Discount Tire (tires and MB TKO wheels) but I decided I didn't like the MBs and ended up swapping on a set of OEM OR wheels and netting $100 profit after I sold the MBs bringing my total to $860.

Good luck!

6. Aug 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    WyoTaco88

WyoTaco88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Woming
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    I use BFG AT's and throw sand bags in the back....I hardly ever have to put it in 4x4 on paved roads

7. Aug 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    mshultz

mshultz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wooster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red
    Interesting. The Mud & Snow rating is based on the tire tread pattern, while the winter rating (snowflake & mountain symbol) is a performance rating. The Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 is Mud & Snow rated, but does not have the snowflake symbol. Winter tires in this size are available, but not common. I did not find a listing for Michelin or Dunlop.

8. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Djg21

Djg21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saratoga, NY
    In the past, with rear-wheel drive vehicles, I'd carry a couple bags of kitty litter over the wheel wells. The litter can be used under the tires if you get stuck.

9. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Not True

You will probably be ok your first year. I was driving in over a foot of snow the first year in the stock Dunlops. I thought they would be terrible based on the comments on this forum, but they did fine all winter long in pretty deep snow. The year after that you might have some more trouble. Mine did fine the first winter. Get some miles out of them before you spend your money

10. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

It's totally true and depends on the type of snow you get . In wet snow the shallow tread block clogs with snow and does not clear and at that point you are driving on slicks

11. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Your wrong on this one. The first year they did great in well over a foot of very wet snow. I know, I drove in it. They worked fine.

12. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Or, be smart, be safe, and don't endanger yourself and those around you while risking costly damage to your new truck, and buy some tires that are at least somewhat appropriate for snow and ice conditions. If you can't afford that, you cannot afford a 2nd gen Tacoma, even a used 2005. Because even new Dunlop AT2s suck in snow, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.:rolleyes:

13. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

You live in Kansas , probably drive on super dry snow and don't deal with hills

14. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    dwight595

dwight595 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwight
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Vehicle:
    '06, SR5, custom artillery wheels
    Tonneu cover, Atx artillery wheels, installed iPod dock, leather interior
    I agree 100% with jager9374. Winter tires are a waste. They are made of very soft rubber, more grippy but they wear out really fast. Michelin LTX are great all season tires and wear really well, plus I think they look aggressive without making your truck look like an armored personnel carrier. I also was an suv driver before getting my Tacoma, I think the Tacoma will do great in the snow and here in Minneapolis that's important.

15. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    It may not be smart to spend money if you don't have to. I was safe, not in danger nor was anyone else. My truck was not damaged in any way. I live on a hill and we had well over a foot of very wet snow. I backed out in to the road stopped the truck put it in 4 wheel and went straight up the hill. We had several snow storms and the truck performed great. There were no problems the first year I had the truck. I may have to get different tires in the years to come I'm not denying that but the first year they worked great.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  16. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Kansas dry snow? Well maybe now and then but not last winter. Sorry Oz you had to be here to see if it was wet or dry. It was wet heavy snow, well over a foot.

17. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    Atomic47

Atomic47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, 2013 oem touch screen radio, reverse camera added into Pop'n'Lock locking tailgate handle, black powder-coated TRD Sport rims, 32" light bar in custom fabricated mount, aux reverse lights in rear bumper
    I'm not sure what you get for a 'winter' and what you consider an 'good amount of snow' but I live in Winnipeg and we get WINTER. OZ-T is correct, the stock tires do suck. I suppose depending on where you live and what kind of winter you get, then maybe you don't need winter tires. BUT in snow and ice, winter tires are monumentally better than summer or all-season tires. If you think differently then it's probably because you haven't experienced driving a winter tire. My ABS acted up all the time with the stock tires, it hardly ever comes on with the Nokian winter tires.
    My advice, ask people who live in your area, and if there are any, ask the people who actually run winter tires.

18. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    Atomic47

Atomic47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, 2013 oem touch screen radio, reverse camera added into Pop'n'Lock locking tailgate handle, black powder-coated TRD Sport rims, 32" light bar in custom fabricated mount, aux reverse lights in rear bumper
  19. Aug 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

They suck and do not self clear and Kansas in in the middle of the continent , how much humidity do you have in the winter ? I thought it was always dry air there in the winter

20. Aug 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    Don't drive like an idiot
    Put sum wieght in the bed
    Drive like your drivin on snow