1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission bolts stuck (3rd Cross Member). Any ideas to remove?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Poolstick, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Aug 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    Poolstick

Poolstick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I cannot for the life of me remove these nuts in order to install my relentless skid plate. Anyone have any idea how to get them off? I've tried heat, a pipe, and nothing seems to work.

2. Aug 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Heat red hot and hit it with an impact gun ??

3. Aug 31, 2014 at 3:36 PM
    Poolstick

Poolstick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sadly don't have an impact gun.. any low cost options? I have no idea how these got torqued so tightly.

4. Aug 31, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Well, I do suggest you rent or buy an electric impact if you do not have a compressor. From the work you are doing I think you will get a lot of use out of it. I "think" cheapies go about $75 ?? And decent go $100 - $125 - top line go $200 + way up ??

I'd buy a cheapie electric or rent one. Now, How long was the pipe you were using?? You could try heating it up again and rap the head with a large hammer straight on one ore twice, it might help. Also if you can get a large point tipped chisel you can try to hit an outside edge of the bolt/nut a few times ( C Clockwise on the edge) as well - this sometimes will free it. You need a heavy hammer and a steady hand. Tap the chisel to make a small dimple so you can put the point of the chisel in it and give it a real good hit. Be careful not to destroy the head so you can still use your socket later if needed. And be sure you soak the crap out of it with PB blaster/ similar bolt loosener.

If all that fails - you gotta try the heat and impact. IF the head and socket are in good shape I've had to use a real mother of a long pipe on occasion. I've even bent a couple Craftsman 1/2 breaker bars with the pipe. Providing the socket does not slip and breaker bar/socket wrench/ closed end wrench (6pt? only - for the socket as well) a long enough pipe would do it.

Be careful here, That much leverage can send the tools and bolt head flying if it gives/breaks.

I vote for red hot heat, a few whacks and an impact wrench - Sometimes it takes a couple try's but I've always won (or snapped the bolt off :) )

Products Discussed in

To Top