Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are my new 5100's installed correctly?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
gtowntaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
gtowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Are my new 5100's installed correctly?

Can anyone tell me if my front 5100’s are installed correctly? I had a local shop do the install but I didn’t get a good feeling from them on this job. I asked them to put it on the .85 lift so the truck would be close to level (I do not have the tsb 4 leaf in the rear, stillthe 3 leaf) and it looks like it is in fact on correct .85 notch now as I asked.

The problem is the truck rides like crap after the install- its bouncy, loose, rough, loud and on big bumps I can feel what seems like the shocks “pop” like its topping out and it feels like something is smacking the fender. Its almost undriveable. I took it to another “big”tire chain to have the alignment performed and tires rotated a day after andthey told me the fronts were not installed correctly and that I shouldn’t have any of the top shaft showing as it is. The guy says it looks like I’m not riding on my shocks at all but just the spring and the tires which might be why it seems so off. Something about with that much bolt showingthe shocks won’t even kick in until 2 ½ of movement is taken up?????

Am I missing a spacer or do I need a spacer, when I looked at doing the 5100’s and just going upone notch to .85 no one really even mentioned I needed to do anything specialto make it work right and that the parts in the kit provided by billstein wouldbe enough? If I have them take it backto stock height would I be in the clear here or is the whole thing messedup????

Sorry for all the questions, I searched a bunch but didn’t findwhat I need to know. Hope someone herecan help.
Attached Thumbnails
Are my new 5100's installed correctly?-1.jpg   Are my new 5100's installed correctly?-2.jpg   Are my new 5100's installed correctly?-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
muddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddog67's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Adam , they forgot or didnt install the shock bushing , take it back , that will destroy your shock if you dont have it fixed
Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you are missing bushings inside your shock. I have the same thing going on right now, but mine are just worn out. You need them to take it back apart and find the bushings they lost.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Are these bushings that came new in the shock kit or ones that get re-used from the old? can you tell me if it will ride great as expected once they do it right or do I still have to worry with that .85 notch requiring other parts to make it work right?

anyone have a pic of what it should look like, the shop is a pain in the ass and refuses to admit its not correct. (friend of a friend of a friend kind of scenario I should of known better of course)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
muddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddog67's Tacoma Gallery
Did they do the same on the other side ? I installed mine and it will ride so much smoother then your factory ones .I think I used my old bushings and I have it set at 1.25 but im 1st gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtowntaco View Post
Are these bushings that came new in the shock kit or ones that get re-used from the old? can you tell me if it will ride great as expected once they do it right or do I still have to worry with that .85 notch requiring other parts to make it work right?

anyone have a pic of what it should look like, the shop is a pain in the ass and refuses to admit its not correct. (friend of a friend of a friend kind of scenario I should of known better of course)
Attached Thumbnails
Are my new 5100's installed correctly?-2014-08-30-18.15.02.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
zboy is a splendid one to beholdzboy is a splendid one to beholdzboy is a splendid one to beholdzboy is a splendid one to beholdzboy is a splendid one to beholdzboy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
zboy's Tacoma Gallery
Check it http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...bber-look.html LOL.... Common sense Not So Common
Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
There is a picture in post #8 that shows all the small parts needed for a front shock setup. Common sense goes a long way. Your shop did not have any to let that leave their service bay or perform a road test.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...lp-please.html
Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
yikes no bushing. that's messed up. i'd make them pay for all new shocks.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you don't have the 2 washers or the 2 bushings installed

Make sure the lower spring perch is positioned so that the spring fits into the groove properly also

That's why I bought this ... So I can change the front struts myself

Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, that shop totally screwed up your install. I'm quite sure by the looks of the picture, you are missing at least one rubber bushing and the washer that is suppose to go under that nut.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Friend of a friend of a friend (not thinking there is much friendship going on here) or not, that is a major screw up. If nothing else, they had the oem shock to reference when they took it apart. To have left that nut 'floating' above the top plate shows these 'mechanics' don't have any idea what they are doing. Your shock is bouncing up and down in the spring every time you hit a bump or anything in the road. Shock will be destroyed. No wonder your ride sucks.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Mikeybuck is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
Mikeybuck's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I had wheelers off road put my shocks and struts together, that 100 extra bucks was well worth it just to know that it was done right with new bushings, top plate, etc.

With basic hand tools, I did the install in my driveway in about 20 min per side.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #16
I bet they threw all that other stuff away after they finished the job. guess we will be contacting billstein for parts now

he did do a test drive and says it rode great but it was late when I picked it all up and was in a hurry to get to the airport. anyways.....

the real question is - I've been driving easily on them so far, once the bushing and washers are installed correctly will they magically work and ride perfectly even set on that .85 setting or will I need additional parts to make it work with .85 lift.

do you think they are already destroyed? should I be safe and have them out it back to stock height or does the slight lift really have noting to do with this mess?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #17
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Imho I wouldn't drive it without those parts. I'm not sure what kind of damage you are causing. At this moment. I would have been on the phone the next with bilstien and the shop about this one.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #18
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
Uh, go back to shop, point out they installed them wrong, whether they have your old parts or not, they are responsible for making it right...epic fail by shop....
Old 09-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #19
TacoLlama is on a distinguished road
TacoLlama's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that shop should be ashamed to let that out the door.I would be pissed.Hopefully they reimburse you or free alignments or something.Such a simple job.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #20
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
ouch, that sucks. they forgot a bunch of parts. i just took a pic of my truck, 5100's set at 1.75 and you can see you are missing a bushing and a washer minimum. not sure what else they left out under there... good luck.