1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How fun would you deem the Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ice, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Aug 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    csayno

csayno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD Off-Road
    I have yet to go off roading. Nothing too serious tho. Soooo not sure what that's like yet.

2. Aug 31, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    I'll tell you why I enjoy the Tacoma so much. I'm an old wannabe hot rodder. I've had a bunch of old cars and trucks over the years and spent more money on them than any sane person should have. Never had the money, the time, the space, the tools, and yes the ability, to build what I wanted. I finally decided that what I wanted was a daily driver that was reliable, yet one that I could work on, personalize, and just enjoy. I'd been looking at Tacomas and thinking about buying 1 for the past 6 or 7 years, and a year ago, I finally pulled the trigger. I love the way it looks, the way it drives, and the fact that I can add things I want.

3. Aug 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    dmharvey79

dmharvey79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Northern Virginia
    My Tacoma is like any other Toyota...boring as hell to drive. That said, it is reliable and it does everything I expect it to do. Maybe I've been spoiled by vehicles I've owned in the past.

4. Aug 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    It is what you make it to be and what you enjoy. Its a truck so it handles terribly, add a lift, take away the sway bar and throw on some MT tires and it only adds to the experience. Decrease in road manners, inrease in dirt worthiness. I love driving my manual, its loud, has decent power and is an experience everytime I drive it. In terms of "fun" I would equal it to my 06 Miata, two different animals but equally entertaining in there own right

5. Aug 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

This is pretty much where i'm at. I'm not sure I could say this about a stock tacoma, but with a lift and some aggressive tires, I feel like beast everywhere I go. I drive a lil faster, take corners a little harder, love getting up to speed to hear that aggressive hum of the tires, and when I had an aftermarket exhaust I would punch it off stop lights to hear it roar. I pretty much drive it like it's a sports car, but with the ability to jump curbs and sh*t (and go off road, of course). And I can do that all while towing around my fishing gear, camping stuff and mountain bikes. I think it is plenty fun.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. Aug 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    Stock, 6/10
    Better suspension + tires = 8/10

It lacks a bit of power and some maneuverability, better mileage would also be nice. It's not a Raptor, a Wrangler or a WRX but still lots of fun on and off road, especially with a foot of snow on the ground :)

7. Aug 31, 2014 at 11:11 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '19 4R ORP
    Fuck yo' overlanding
    I don't really think the truck itself is "fun".

What I mean by that is, the act of driving it does not evoke any sort of visceral response for me. It simply is.

Now, the things I can do with my truck, those are fun. Sliding around corners on gravel roads, light trails, camping, exploring; I love that shit. Putting the windows down on a warm day, with the rear slider opened, and cruising down a one lane road with the radio on. Railing my wife over the passenger seat on an old 4WD trail. Fun, fun, fun!

I do like to just look at it, too; I think the Tacoma is how a truck should look, and I have felt that way ever since I saw Marty McFly drive that black 22RE back in '85. It's fun to just drink in it's inherent coolness.

But literally fun to drive? No. And certainly not more fun to drive than the aforementioned S2000, or even a Miata, or FRS, or really any low slung 2 door. But you couldn't go truck camping, explore abandoned roads, or wife-rail in any of those cars.

8. Sep 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM
    J.Z.Alba

J.Z.Alba Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Pre-runner TRD
    Nerf steps, Fold-A-Cover
    I love driving mine...

9. Sep 1, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    The6pharaohs

The6pharaohs WTF just happened?

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Eagle Mountain Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Offroad with JBL premium tech package
    Upgraded from 2012 DCSB TRD Offroad Entune JBL w/nav
    Haters gonna hate.
    I love mine. Makes me happy on most days just by going on a short drive. Even better when I am on a trail

10. Sep 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    NosiBaLasi

NosiBaLasi RESULTS, not excuses

Member:
    First Name:
    Jones
    Home of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force
    Vehicle:
    IG: overlandhd & tacoma_2gen_hq
    All in "My Build" page
    10/10 for practicality specially if you are a homeowner you have to own a truck that will keep up with your home. The Tacoma does this well without guzzling fuel like the full size trucks out there, and it does the job while looking good. Tacoma FTW :thumbsup:

11. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    tuna

tuna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    Who Dat Lion
    Love it! End up spending too much time driving around the bridges/beach too long and complaining about the gas afterwards after an empty tank

Will supercharge it one day for shits and giggles

12. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    agree for what you pay its way over due.

13. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.
    I have previously-owned two Toyota trucks in my lifetime, when the the top-of-the-line trucks were simply called SR5's - either standard cab or extended cab. Some had the venerable 22R, 22Re or the V6 option. Yeah, it's been quite some time. I bought a 2006 GMC Canyon (2WD) in December of 2005, and have just gone over 175,000 miles. It's been a decent truck and has taken me many places in comfort, as well as some fun times at the drag strip, yeah...the in-line 5 cylinder is quite "tuneable".

I just purchased a 2014 Tacoma Prerunner, Double Cab SR5 V6 on July 19th of this year.

I am shocked at how refined and comfortable the new truck has become. It is nothing like my '84 or '86 4WD Toyota's. I really love driving it, but it gets driven only once in a while since I still have my Canyon for a work truck. However, every weekend I take my Taco out for a spin and visit family and give them rides in it, as none of them own a truck.

I have already begun purchasing TRD and other aftermarket parts for it (still waiting for the TRD rear remote gas shocks and front coil springs), and I am having a good time dreaming-up how it's going to look and perform when I am completed with the subtle mods. Hopefully, the TRD Supercharger will be icing on this cake!

Hands down, a very cool truck and every time I see another Taco, we always exchange waves or thumbs up signs as we pass by.

Owning a Tacoma enlists you into a family, a brotherhood.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  14. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    I used to have an S2000 too. I'm not into driving fast anymore so I'm with OP on this one. 2 years and 30k miles into my Taco and it still puts a smile on my face.

15. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I honestly love driving my Tacoma. I am a practical person and have gotten over that "young guy" gotta' go fast driving style (just makes you look like a douche to everyone else anyway). I like the usefulness of the truck without it being huge, the ability to carry most loads, and the ability to take it offroad comfortably. I just don't really want a vehicle that serves only one purpose.

16. Sep 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Interesting how many people over the years have tried to race my truck, but they're all Tacoma's. They just roll up next to me and start revving. No other vehicle has attempted this before, like its a secret code between the trucks. Bare in mind I never said I engaged the challenge.

It certainly isn't any of those vehicles, but it also does have a Raptor price tag, reliability of a Wranger or the the street cred of a WRX, not to mention our trucks will run circles around the 3.8L Wrangler.

Strange, but true.

:eek::D

17. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    As My wife and I get older the Tacoma has taken up the slack. Instead of backpacking we now go off-roading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun is not strong enough word.

18. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    I enjoy driving mine but my next buy will be a cummings or a duramax ( not sure which one yet) for towing a good size travel trailer.

19. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    foxhead

foxhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Tundra
    I think driving mine is fun as fuck

20. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    cosmicfires