Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Gas Cap?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Planner is on a distinguished road
Planner's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Gas Cap?

Hi Everybody. New Tacoma owner here. A 2009 V-6 double cab, 4x4. I switched from an 2001 Tundra to the Taco for a change. The question I have is, has anyone obtained a locking gas cap for their tacoma? Any brand better than another? Any problems with one? Appreciate the input!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Stant locking cap last year for my 2008 at Kragen. I've had no issues at all. Stant part number for 2009 Tacoma locking cap is 10504.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
CST Locking cap... Stant doesn't lock. If you push down on it and turn, it'll open... Doesn't lock worth a shit
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stant too, and i didnt know about the pushing down thing, but why would someone trying to fk with your gas go through all that trouble anyways, idk just my opinion
Old 04-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear050 View Post
CST Locking cap... Stant doesn't lock. If you push down on it and turn, it'll open... Doesn't lock worth a shit
I'll have to check that tonight, thanks. Ofcourse all locks do is keep honest people honest. If they really want your gas, they will get it one way or another.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Middle Age Member

Quote:
Hey, you are right. I just took the cap off without the key. What a POS. I put the original back on until I can find a quality cap. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Hey, you are right. I just took the cap off without the key. What a POS. I put the original back on until I can find a quality cap. Thanks for the heads up.
Wow who would have thought haha Glad i read this!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
CaliforniaTaco is on a distinguished road
CaliforniaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What's the Tacoma part number for the CST Locking cap? Are 05-09 the same?

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Middle Age Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaTaco View Post
What's the Tacoma part number for the CST Locking cap? Are 05-09 the same?

Thanks!
The CST online catalog did not list parts for my 2008, but they do for 2005. I believe they are the same.

http://www.cstinc.org/catalog.php?ye...+DESG%3A+2TRFE
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
They are the same.

The CST works really well
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are the same.

The CST works really well

I will Mos Def. be upgrading to the CST
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

WOW! I was planning on buying one of these. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts are that I would rather have them siphon the gas out than punch through the gas tank and let it all drain out.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
My thoughts are that I would rather have them siphon the gas out than punch through the gas tank and let it all drain out.
I want a locking cap not to stop some assclown from siphoning gas out,I'm worried about putting soimething in the tank.
I've tried two different numbers recopmmended and both set off the CEL.
Good point on the tank.
A punch in the tank would be an easer and faster than siphoning.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
plmber58 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Engineman 2nd class
Name: Jim
plmber58's Tacoma Gallery
You are so right as a friend of mines girlfriend has a Tacoma and she ran out of gas when she went to fill it up again the gas just dumped onto the ground as some Ahole punctured her tank to get the gas
Old 04-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
OK but you can't siphon these tanks anyway.