1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cap Fitment and Plastic Rub Rails on Bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by labs4me, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    labs4me

labs4me [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi Guys, Happy Labor Day.

A couple months ago I took delivery of a 2014 DCSB Limited. After spending some time researching truck caps I have narrowed my search down to either an A.R.E. X-series or an A.R.E. CX-series (need the bigger side sliders to provided maximum ventilation for my hunting dogs).

Having looked at virtually all or at least most of the photos of truck caps on this forum, I do not recall seeing a photo that depicted a cap sitting directly on the plastic rub rails that run along the perimeter of the top of the truck bed. In other words, the photos I've come across lead me to believe that the plastic rub rails must first be removed before the cap is clamped down.

So the question I would like to ask is, are the plastic rub rails that run along the perimeter of the top of the bed typically removed before the cap is place on top of the bed; or will these plastic rub rails be left in place and will the cap be installed directly on top of them.

Finally, will installing the cap on top of the plastic rub rail cause the rub rails to vibrate and rub against the paint under the weight of the cap?

Any insight that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Labs

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    I have a Leer 180 and they were not removed. Most caps have a lip that overhangs that bed rail.....that's why you don't see it.

3. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
    The plastic rails stay on. The shell installs on top of them.

4. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    People leave the caps on but you just can't see them in the pics.

On my last tacoma - a 2006, I noticed that the downward pressure from the canopy on those plastic caps was actually crushing them and forcing the edges of the plastic caps down onto the paint and it wore through the paint and was starting to rust. Some people bolster them by filling them with silicone. On my new truck - a 2013, I just pulled all of those caps off, threw down some helicopter tape where the caps would touch the paint, then put the caps back on. That stuff is pretty tough and should prevent the plastic from wearing through paint.

Couple options for you there - or you could pull the rails off altogether, thrown some box-liner over top and then put something else in between like a painted 1x4. If you took off the rails and didn't put anything else in there to make up the gap I think you would have a very hard time keeping dust and water out.

5. Sep 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have the CX series and the plastic rails were not removed on my truck. Not sure about vibration and paint but I love the thing so much I'm not concerned
    Great cap and my Labrador really enjoys it inside.

6. Sep 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not removed

Products Discussed in

To Top