1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood scoop removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PsychoJr, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    PsychoJr

PsychoJr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2014 XSP-X 4x4
    I have a '14 Tacoma and would like to remove the stick on scoop. Has anyone done this? Searched for a while for a similar thread and couldn't find anything.

The scoop is not bolted on, but searching around on the internet appears to use a 3M automotive adhesive. What's the best way to tackle this? I would prefer not to damage the finish, but I'll be putting a Kryptek camo wrap on the hood anyway so it's not critical.

2. Sep 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Find someone that has the same color truck but no scoop. You can probably trade and get another $200 in addition. Lots of folks want the scoop and will throw in some cash with a swap.

3. Sep 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    There's a difference between the stick-on scoop that OP has and a Sport Hood with the scoop molded into it.

Most people who would trade their non-scoop hood for a scooped hood are looking for the one-piece TRD Sport hood.

That ucky xsp-x package is the one with the stick-on scoop... and we all know that the molded, one-piece hood scoop adds MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER.*

* I traded my non-scoop hood for a scooped hood because it looks cool; it did not add any actual HORSEPOWER.

4. Sep 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    bordeaux4130

bordeaux4130 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Icon Tubular UCA's, OME 885X's, Bilstein 5100's front at 0", Icon Progressive 3 pack leaf springs, Console Vault with .40 cal of 2nd Amendment, and more to come
    OP is talking about the stick on scoop, not the Sport scoop which is sheet metal. I haven't heard of anyone wanting the stick on scoop. Why Toyota decided to spec a Tacoma that looks like they drove it thru the cheap accessories aisle of a Pep Boys I'll never understand.

5. Sep 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    He doesn't have the skewp from the TRD Sport. The XSP has one that is just stuck on with some tape. I don't think anyone would trade him for it.

6. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    If you are able to get it off I would stick it on the roof. Guaranteed an extra 50 HP up there.

7. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    Ok Ok. Now that we've slapped this thread to death about the XSP-X... some actual advice on removing the shitty skewp is as follows:

Make SURE that it's just a normal hood under that there scoop.

When you feel confident that removing the skewp isn't going to destroy your hood, get a heat gun, fishing line, and some Goof Off or Goo Gone.

Heat that sucker up, and act like you're flossing the 3M tape out from between the stickyskewp and your hood.

Heat, Floss, Repeat

Then take the Goo removal product of your choice and soak that nasty residue with it, then gently scrape the residue off as the goo remover magically makes it less sticky.

Feel free to use more heat here as well.

Then once it's all off, wash the area as you would wash the rest of the truck.

Give it a day to sit, and then come back and look at it in direct and indirect sunlight to see if you have a little more residue to remove,

If you do, take a nice soft/clean shammy or microfiber towel and use more goo-gone to remove it.

I do not recommend you use an electric buffer at any point in this process because it is very easy to eat through your clearcoat unless you have extensive experience with an electric buffer.

8. Sep 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    emblemremoval101_zpsace8577e_d270340c8d90a6065e828283f43c1791570d8861.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  9. Sep 1, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Not all Tacos have clearcoat on them.

The solid colors are just paint, no clear coat. All the metallics have a clear coat applied.

10. Sep 2, 2014 at 2:56 AM
    BronsDaGreat

BronsDaGreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bronson
    Wahiawa, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    6" FabTech Lift 20x12 Fuel Hostage Wheels 33x12.5 Toyo M/T Camburg Uni's UCA Spintech Muffler AppRadio 3 BHLM Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners WeatherTech Vent Visors 6000k HID Headlights and fogs All Lighting Changed To LED AntennaX 13" Antenna Ceramic Tint K&N Drop In Filter Fully Debadged Blacked Out Emblem

So my black '13 doesn't have clearcoat? Why would they do something stupid like that? It has to have clearcoat on it...

11. Sep 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Straight black and any other solid color does not have clear. Only the metallics do.

I hear ya, it sucks.

12. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    metrick1215

metrick1215 Pirate Medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    All the solid colors from what i know have a single stage paint... Clear is mixed into the paint... instead of the 2 stage paint (paint and then clear) like the metallic's...

Products Discussed in

To Top