1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6spd manual hard shifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Assforkr, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sep 2, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    Assforkr

Assforkr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    03 taco
    After lurking and trying to adjust my driving I've decided to ask you guys a question.

I got myself a new 14 double cab with a 6spd mt. When shifting above 1st I feel what can only be described s vibration and slop in the shifting mechanics. As if the drive shaft is catching up to the transfer case and almost knocking as I engage the clutch. I don't know if this is normal but I definitely wasn't getting this sensation in my GTI (also 6psd mt...which did weigh like 1/3rd the taco so maybe that's why I didn't feel anything).

Without getting defensive, clutch pedal is fully depressed on every shift, revs are closely matched, no jerking forward upon clutch catching. My technique isn't quite world class rally but it isn't shitty either.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or know if it's normal?

2. Sep 2, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Mine does that too. I've read several posts on here where others attest of similar occurrences and add that the manual trans isn't the smoothest.

3. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    w0m

w0m Active Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma SR5
    Also owning 14 double 6sp, the shifting is.... sloppy. I've found I have to slightly delay shifts or the engine clunks a bit. Sadly, from what I've read it's normal on recent Tacos. My daily is a 6sp Miata which is extremely crisp; so I think i'm spoiled a bit here. I do plan on picking up a URD short throw kit as my first serious upgrade.

4. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    My 13 6 speed does the same thing. I had the master tech from the local dealership drive my truck with me in it about a year ago, he said it was normal.

I also have another car (86 Prelude) which has a much better feeling transmission in it, but then my 02 Tacoma's transmission was better as well.

Still like the manual just wish Toyota would've done a better job, because I know they can.

TheMuffinMan likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    My transmission felt that way at first. I was regretting buying the 6-speed. After 9500miles of mixed driving, with about 500miles of heavy towing mixed in, the transmission is shifting much smoother.

I came from an accord 5-speed which was a fantastic transmission. I drove my buddies BMW M5 and, if you ignore the rest of the car being infinitely better than my Accord in every way, I preferred the accords transmission.

What I am trying to say is… Give it some time, you will get used to its quirks and it will break in some with use. I truly enjoy the 6-speed now. I hated it in the beginning.

6. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    Assforkr

Assforkr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    03 taco
    Whoo! I'm so glad to know it's not me and I still know how to row gears. I will certainly give the truck time to settle in and learn the eccentricities.

My mk6 had a Swiss watch for a shifter and with the diesel geek short shift kit felt like heaven...but I was also afraid to drive over a pothole in that car so I have to say I love this truck and it's sloppy ass gearbox.

Thanks fellas.

7. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    There has been a lot of talk about changing out the fluid in your transmission to the fluid made by Redline . Guys say the Redline product makes for much smoother shifting .

Apparently the TRD short throw shifter has also helped to clean up some of the sloppy shifting .

Understand you are still on warranty but you may want to read some of these posts .

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...on-information-your-6-speed-transmission.html

8. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    This transmission, unlike other Toyota truck transmissions in the recent past, really is a truck transmission (at least by feel). It shifts about the same as the T-176 in my old Jeep, slightly worse than the R150 in my old 2002 Tacoma, and about the same as the grinder in grandad's old '41 Ford.

I found the key to smooth operation of the 6 speed is "slow and easy". It's no sports car gearbox, and it won't tolerate being treated like one. And that's just fine with me.

9. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    Juan Solo

Juan Solo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    My 14 does the same thing. It doesn't bother me, I think it just gives it personality lol. I have noticed it smooth out a little bit, and I imagine it will smooth out more as it breaks in.

10. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    jpachard

jpachard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    As Gearchruncher and obscrotron noted, changing to redline and shifting slower are two great improvements. These trucks have very large gearsets and as a result can't be shifted as fast. It's a small price to pay for a tough transmission.

11. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am glad mine is not the only one! This is my 2nd manual Tacoma, I was nothing short of abusive to my '03 and I have never had any issues, even with over 200k miles. I hope the 2nd gen transmissions are equally as robust as the 1st gen's... does anyone know?

12. Sep 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    jpachard

jpachard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    I believe they transmission in our trucks actually came from the Tundras which would make them quite overbuilt for the Tacoma which, IMO, is a good thing.

Let me see if I can back that up with facts though.

Cheers, James

13. Sep 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Timberland Taco

Timberland Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berlin, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 6-speed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's set at .85, OME 885x coils w/ 1/2" top plate spacers, Total Chaos UCA's, Wheelers 1.5" HD 3 leaf progressive AAL w/ factory overload leaf, DT Pipe Bomb Ypipe, Vibrant resonator, Magnaflow pro series catback system, URD Short Throw Shift Kit, Debadged, BHLM, BTLM, 6000K BiXenon Headlights & Fogs.
    my 13 6 speed was real finicky at first when i got it at 7k. but now that im up to 27k with a bunch of city driving, towing and hauling, it has definitely loosened up. Like others said, the throw is very long, i forget how long it is until i jump in my uncles old 86 f150 with the 3spd+OD and a 10 mile long shifter yet the throw is still shorter. The clutch throw is also long too, i get in any other manual vehicle and almost put my foot through the floor lol. It really does require a slow and smooth shift, tho ive gotten really used to it and sometimes have a tendency to chirp 2nd if i really gotta get on it :D
    I highly recommend a short throw shift kit. Though i havent ordered one for this truck yet, i put the urd one in my 10'4 cyl 5 speed and it did wonders. You wont regret it:)

14. Sep 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Just slam it into the gear you want and don't worry about it. No need to pussyfoot around with it. Tacoma manuals are known to be "notchy" I guess is the word. But durable. I've had three Toyota manual trans trucks with a total mileage of 326,000 miles on them and never replaced a trans component. Just push the clutch in all the way, use firm pressure on the stick and you'll be fine.

15. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    I've had the TRD short-thow on my 2013 since I took delivery, so no basis for comparison for the 2nd gens. It's definitely a night and day difference from my 1st gen, where I feel like I'm moving the shifter from the front bumper to the rear on goin thru the gears! :eek:

16. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    Mine got better with time.

17. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    My 6spd in my 2010 was kind of sloppy, but i did switch to Redline MT-90 and did see a little difference. Like others have said, these transmissions aren't known for being smooth.

18. Sep 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    IMHO, one big hurdle here is the "hang throttle" from the drive-by-wire throttle - the throttle is programmed to not slam shut, allowing fuel already injected into the intake to burn off at the proper air-fuel ratio and keep emissions to a minimum. As a result, the engine RPM doesn't drop very quickly, and makes shifting smoothly above 3000RPM rather difficult. At 2500 RPM or below, you could be a blindfolded passenger in my truck and never know when I shifted.

Oh, and I really can't believe I'm commenting on yet another 6spd transmission thread. Oh Well...

19. Sep 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    reellittlephish

reellittlephish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma
    none yet
    Drove one for the first time today. A 2007 Tacoma Access Cab v6,4WD, 6 spd manual. Couldn't find reverse gear and this is after 12 years of Toyota Gen1's. Felt a bit duffus. "Go way over" for reverse. Was a stiffer than my old 2004 5 speed manual.

20. Sep 3, 2014 at 12:14 AM
    MATACO

MATACO Active Member

Member:
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White TRD
    Just rolled past 10k kms, there is only two ways so get smooth shifts in mine.
    Slow and delayed shift then almost ride the clutch, a fast foot off the clutch results in jerk every time. Rpms dont match with the delayed shift. Gearbox loves it, backlash in the drivetrain not so much. Quick shift feels grindy in the hand, dump clutch no jerk. Cant really seem to find the right grampa drive tecnique. I know a few other locals with the 6sp with the same issues, difficult to consistantly get smooth shifts.

The only real smooth shifts come when the vvt's workin and the intake is whine'n like a tiney turbo @3500rmp, quick snap of the shifter and dump the clutch, just like budda, from second to sixth.

Every vehicle is different i guess but after 10k still havnt got the hang of it.
    Every vehicle ive owned has been stick, Chevy Sprint (lol), B2200, Nissan p/u, two civics, pathfinder, and now my Taco. Its gettin better but its far from smooth.

Products Discussed in

To Top