1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CodeBlue, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    CodeBlue

CodeBlue [OP] Member

Member:
    I've been looking to buy a truck and had narrowed it down to a Tacoma double cab or a Tundra double cab, leaning towards the Tacoma. But now I have some questions:

-I started reading about the vibration issues with the Tacoma and it has me really worried. Is this a problem prevalent? Or is it a small percentage of trucks? Or is the whole thing overblown and the vibration is hardly noticeable to most people? I can't think of anything worse than dropping 26k+ and having a big problem pop up like this.

-Is it true that it seems pretty certain that the 2015's aren't getting a redesign? Is it worth it to buy a truck new that hasn't been redesigned in so long?

-If I end up buying it, would it be better to get the cheapest base unit, then install 3rd party products instead of getting scalped by the dealer? I'm thinking about the entune/navi/etc in particular - is it better to pay for the factory unit because everything will interface better or is it fine to go with some pioneer touch screen I buy from Amazon or whatever?

I've been happy with all the toyota's my wife and I have bought in the past, but that new Chevy Colorado has caught my eye and now I wonder if I should wait for that.

2. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    What made U steer away from the Tundra?

3. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    had 3 tacomas, average driver wont even notice any vibrations. the 3 I had zero problems. now have a new f150 with ecoboost and like it alot better then any toyota I had.

4. Sep 3, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    CodeBlue

CodeBlue [OP] Member

Member:
    I live in LA where the parking spaces are small, my garage is small, just want a bit more maneuverability.

My needs are basically working at cross purposes at this point: I don't want to drive some big yacht, but I need enough cabin room to put a car seat in the back seat, and I'd like a regular-sized bed (otherwise what's the point?). The Tacoma double seemed to be the closest to getting all of those things, since it doesn't seem like a car seat would be a good fit in the access cab version.

Since it's a city driver I'd also like decent gas mileage, but strangely it doesn't seem like there's that much difference between the Tacoma and Tundra (which seems be more of a mark against the Tacoma and is one reason I'm curious about the Colorado).

5. Sep 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    calvineagle77

calvineagle77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad
    OEM Skid Plate (black), Mudflaps Removed, Plasti-Dipped Emblems 3" Toytec Lift 285/75/16 Duratracs MB 352 Rims TOYOTA tailgate sticker OEM Bed Mat Old-school 4WD sticker Flat black TRD sticker
    If space is a big thing for you then get a Tundra, if maneuverability is, then of course a Tacoma is going to be your bestir bet. It all comes down to what is more important to you.

6. Sep 3, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    My truck drives nice and smooth, and I have pretty aggressive all terrains on it. I have never felt any vibrations, I really think it is rare on a stock truck. Once you mess with the suspension like so many do, you might feel some more vibes here and there. Just pick up a TRD and enjoy the great seats and nice ride.

Products Discussed in

To Top