Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A tip for removing OEM bed rails

Old 09-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Revelations is on a distinguished road
Revelations's Tacoma Gallery
A tip for removing OEM bed rails

My wife got me a tonnosport access cover for my bday and I had a really tough time trying to get just one torx bolt loose. We just moved from CA and I had my tools in storage. I went out to harbor freight and picked up a set of torx drivers that come in those handles that you flip out. Do not do this! I nearly stripped one of the bolts trying to use them. I searched on TW for any tips on trying to remove the bolts and I saw a lot of people using bolt removal bits. I have them, but would prefer not having to spend the extra time to drill the heads and remove them. That and I'm anal about keeping my oem stuff in tact.

Fast forward two weeks and we moved into our new house and I got access to my good tools. I grabbed my craftsman torx T30 socket and my ratchet wrench and the bolts came right off. I stood on the outside of the truck, applied slight pressure on the head of the wrench and the bolts broke loose. No impact tools, heating up bolts, or easy out bits necessary. Just grab a craftsman T30 torx socket and your wrench and you're done in 15 minutes.

It got late, so I'm installing the cover today
Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
ranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
ranger098's Tacoma Gallery
had the same thing happen to me, i stripped two of them bastards out using my t30 and my air ratchet. fuck, thats all you can say. Those bolts should be harder than they are.

grabbed my hand ratchet and all went well, but what should have been 5 mins of removing bolts ended up being 3 hours of drilling out. Thought i was the only one... glad its not just me!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
the bolt heads are fairly soft, i replaced with regular bolts
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Highboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud ofHighboy90 has much to be proud of

Highboy90's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know. Thanks!