Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diagnosing Driveshaft Split Joint???

Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Nelz1 is on a distinguished road

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
Diagnosing Driveshaft Split Joint???

In an effort to diagnose my nice vibration problem I wanted to start with the slip joint..If shes binding couldnt I remove the rubber boot and extend the shaft lube it and see if the vibration is lessend

Has anyone attempted this?? I'll probably just move the boot forward.
Anyone know where I can get the factory tie wraps which are metalic and probably require a fancy tool.. Dealer item?

Thank you..

PS this is the infamous 20 mph vibration felt on acceleration and deceleration
pretty significant on mine..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your problem. I know there is no TSB out for it yet, but have you talked to the dealer about it?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 AM   #3

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
yup

Oh yes have I talked to them
Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I assume they say its normal?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #5

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
Yup

Thats what they're telling me! I have not been able to provide a truck out of the two that I drove that dont have the vibration....The only way I have a case is if I have documentation that another new same model doesnt do it ( so it wont be a charactersitic of the truck) In the meantime I'm inpatient so I'm researching everything I can to pinpoint the problem..

My lesson learned to drive the truck (I will own) Not a representation
good and hard before signing the paper work!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you do some searching, you'll discover there's lots of guys with double cab trucks that have the same problem.

I highly doubt lubricating the slip joint is going to help. From what I've read on other forums - it's due to the driveline angles. If you look at the rear driveshaft and at the angle at which its pointing to the carrior bearing - this 'angle' is critical to prevent vibrations. Depending on how 'bad' the vibrations are will depend on what you need to do.

When you took it to the dealer - did they drive the truck and feel the vibrations themselves?

Before messing with doing your own work on the truck - I'd go to a couple different dealerships and have them drive the truck to feel the vibes. Keep ALL your documentation that you've had it *looked at* - perhaps you'll get lucky and one of the dealerships will notice and want to help you.

If you have a reputable driveshaft shop near you - take it there and have someone drive it. Ask them for their best professional oppinoin on what to do.

**Again - you could do the work yourself to help prevent this - but I'm only suggesting you get professional oppinions first for the sake of your warrantee.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #7

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
drive vibration

Hey thanks the three dealers I took the truck to have reported to Toyota corp that the vibration is normal. So I have been talking to a driveshaft shop and they will halp me diagnose the problem...I have located pinion shim angles to help the rear, and i will look at the driveshaft closer... happy weekends
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I've been hearing about his 20mph shudder, but never noticed it. On my way home from work today I paid extra attention and I could just barely perceive it. Either I'm just less picky than most, or there is a range to how pronounced it is.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=206705
Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #10

nd's Tacoma Gallery
i think there is a range to how pronounced it is. If i pay attention i can notice it, but it almost feels like rough pavement. So far nobody that has ridden with me has noticed it or been able to feel it. But i have heard of people on this site who feel like they'r arms are being shaken loose
Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i think there is a range to how pronounced it is. If i pay attention i can notice it, but it almost feels like rough pavement. So far nobody that has ridden with me has noticed it or been able to feel it. But i have heard of people on this site who feel like they'r arms are being shaken loose
Yeah, rough pavement is a good description for mine too. I've had a half dozen people ride with me, and no comments from them either.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I never had vibration problems but i dont like the slpit joint shafts, i had a local company make me a solid drive shaft cost me 280 dollars. well worth it. Lots more power to the pavement. with the stock greasible heavy duty u-joints.