1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma-in-Germany built thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4x4 Ralph, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    4x4 Ralph

4x4 Ralph [OP] Africa is not for sissies!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Southern Germany....nearby Stuttgart
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma access cab 4l auto, BMW X3 3l aut
    3" higher 2" spacers black bumper and front grill oil catch can rear diff breather mod TRD seat covers seat heating system LEER tonneau cover and and and
    How to start?

...last year in April my wife and me decided to move back from South Africa to our home county Germany after 6 years working there.
    We had a 1993 HDJ 81 Cruiser and a 1999 2.7l Hilux double cab in SA.
    I don't like common rail diesel engines - I am an automotive engineer - and wanted a pick-up.
    My wife wanted a double cab...but the loadbay is too short to sleep on it :eek: so I decided an access cab.
    Long story short:
    This year in April I ordered in Canada a white Tacoma access cab, V6 automatic, TRD, ...which arrived only last Tuesday due to some delays...

I never drove a Tacoma, I have never seen one except on a picture before my 'baby' arrived...you can call me crazy :eek:... but I had 3 Land Rovers ...on the long run I was ok with them...and I thought it can't get worse...

I have a new toy as my wife calls it and I am happy...knowing all the 'specialities' from this forum - which helped me very much to decide to buy a Taco - so thanks to all you members that make that tacomaworld so special!!!

Some months ago I started to get the parts, some from Europe, most of them from the USA....and almost everything based on what I have been reading here:cheers:

Wind deflectors for the doors, scan gauge, lift, ride-rite, spacers, Blue Sea fuse holders, TRD seat covers and and and...

Thanks to Andres I already have some ' devils horns'...:devil:
    Tuesday evening I got the alterations started:

- grill off ... I will have it white spray painted
    - K&N pre-cleaner that I use since some 20 years in all my new cars to protect all coolers (see picture attached)

Wednesday evening:
    - built in of front diff drop

Thursday evening:
    - measurement of the side runners, the base plates I already got made from 3mm stainless steel based on SolidWorks files that I got from the member 'bored clerk' (once again thank you for beeing so generous!)
    - built in of the 3" front lift

Friday evening:
    - 1" rear lift with spacers
    - 31,7 mm wheel spacers ( 1 1/4 ") all around
    - shit...the ride rite kit doesn't fit...will get it sorted with the supplier
    - rear bumper off and put in pieces ... those plastic corner pieces got some swear wors out of me....but now it's sorted...:cool:

Saturday morning:
    - alterations to the bumper that the european trailer socket fits...
    - adding a socket for a high amp connection for my 4x4 caravan
    - cleaning of the bumper and then black plasti dip...very happy!:)
    - all cables to the loadbay and the bumper are in

Get you some more pictures next time

P1060174.jpg
    P1060178.jpg

laufer likes this.
  2. Sep 24, 2014 at 3:30 AM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    3" higher 2" spacers black bumper and front grill oil catch can rear diff breather mod TRD seat covers seat heating system LEER tonneau cover and and and
    Meanwhile I have my Taco 3 weeks and most of the things that I wanted to do before I have her registered are meanwhile done.

The major problem with the necessary confirmations for the German TÜV are solved since yesterday - so hopefully I get my number plates and the registration tomorrow.

I also found out at the local Toyota dealership that despite of the fact that those models are not imported officially to Germany they are able to access the vehicles ECU with their testing equipment....at least to read the error codes in case of problems.

After I have built in the lift kit and all cables that I wanted to add (for actual needs and also future 'gimmicks') I got the whole frame, doors, reinforcment underbody profile etc etc at first protected with cavity wax (some 8 bottles....approx 8L). After 2 days I also sprayed the complete underbody with black wax ( 6 bottles) which lasts much longer in areas that will be exposed to splashing water.

Rear bumper and the rims are black now...front grill white...front engine protector plate is also black...seat heating is in...rear fog lamp (mandatory in Germany)...DRL is switched off (if yellow also mandatory)...the (mandatory) 13pin trailer socket is fitted...new LED numberplate lights - I used the old holes for the trailer socket and the high power trailer connection - Ultra gauge is mounted (a very nice tool)...TRD canvas seat covers...oil catch can...spacers front and rear...wheel alignment done...and some other little improvments like cubby box lights...LED bulbs for the interior lights .... read diff breather modification...etc etc

Whenever I get covers off...the cavity wax spray can is used to protect everything inside and outside against corrosion.

The only thing that I realised (too late): Plasti-Dip doen't like the wax...it gets soft and peals off easily....good thing knowing that: If you want to get rid of Plasi-Dip, just spray some cavity wax on it....high pressure washer and the part is clean in seconds.

Whatever you touch now...sticky and waxy...but: it's easier to clean your hands (and arms) instead of swearing about rusted bolts or paint pealing off.

What is still on the line:
    Additional water heating system - winter is just around the corner.
    I also bought an aluminium C-Profile that I want to glue and scew in the roof - the access cab doesn't have the pre-mounted threads like the double cab - for a small roof rack....will keep you posted.

12V 2 cylinder Bosch compressor - I already have 2 air truck horns that I want to fit on the roof rack.
    80W solar panel...and and and...

But first I need to get her licensed...so please press thumbs tomorrow...:cool:

Here some pics:

P1060194.jpg
    P1060196.jpg
    P1060197.jpg
    P1060198.jpg
    P1060200.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  3. Dec 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Noreaster

Noreaster New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD
    Wow that's an impressive amount of work.

Question: I'm moving to Germany in June for the Army, and trying to decide whether to sell my 12 Tacoma and buy something there. If I keep it will I have to modify it to meet local standards? For example, have my DRLs shut off, and a rear fog light put on?

Appreciate any advice

4. Dec 12, 2014 at 1:57 AM
    Cnort

Cnort Member

Member:
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    '12 Texas Edition Tacoma
    Did you find the LEER cover here in Germany or order with your truck? I have had trouble finding places here in Germany to order from.

5. Dec 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    easiest answer first...;-)...
    as far as I found out there is no official (trustworthy) Leer distributer in Germany ... due to that I ordered my Taco in Canada including the cover...also the customs (for the car) was 13% less as the customs judge the vehicle as a 'passenger car' and then the loadbay is the 'trunk'...

I will make a canope sometimes next year and then I don't need the cover anymore...just don't know when exactly...

@Noreaster:

You will not find a decent petrol pick-up in Germany - instead it's imported ... they all have Diesel common rail engines i.e.the Hilux or Ford Ranger and compared to the USA the prices high...

As you are allowed to bring your own car with you (must be registered to your name at least for 6 months before you move) and you don't have to pay VAT or customs it would make more sense to bring your own car instead buying one here.
    Then you will not be allowed to sell the car within the 1st 6 months.

In case it has to be registered in Germany you will get exceptional allowances for i.e. the emissions and some other things...some details must be changed (majorly DRL and rear foglight) but I will gladly assist you with that...costs for the assessment and alterations some 500.-€ (if you do it yourselve)...there are workshops that will do that for you but will charge you some 1.800.- to 2.000.-€.

Very important:
    I highly recommend a rust protection (i.e. Mike Sanders) as the climate conditions and the salt (against ice) on the roads during the winter season will eat away your beloved Taco in a short time...I did the protection myself...6 hours of work and some 80.-€ for the wax.

please bare in mind:

Every Toyota dealership will be able to read error codes from your ECU but they can't tell you what the codes mean...pages like

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/files/05FSM/repair.html

are very helpful then.

They are also able to organize every spare part...but the prices are unbelievable...I suggest to bring wear and tear parts like brake pads, ignition plugs etc with you or at least pre organize a source in the USA
    Hope that clears a few things ... but you are more than welcome to ask me whatever would be interesting...I lived 6 years in South Africa and know how it feels...;-)...in a foreign country...surrounded by 'strangers'...

Regards
    Ralph

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  6. Dec 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    cool build, must be expensive to get parts there.

7. Dec 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    Is it uncommon to have a Tacoma in Germany?

I've never been there, and the only experience I have with seeing cars over seas is watching when people top gear travels around.

Did you see any of the Diesel Ford rangers driving around in South Africa? A guy who post on another forum from South Africa has one and he raves about it being a great truck. Rangers are my favorite trucks..

8. Dec 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    No, U.S. Service members are exempt from the local laws for the most part. It has to meet very basic safety requirements, and as long as it's not lifted or too crazy it will pass inspection. It takes a few months to get there though, and shipping it is a PITA. Most Joe's leave there fancy whip stateside and just buy a hooptie off the lemon lot in country. I bought mine new from Aafes there, and traveled all over Europe in it.

Tacoma's are very rare outside of Military in all of Europe. More rare than seeing a Hilux stateside, and those are pretty rare.

9. Dec 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Noreaster

Noreaster New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD
    Thanks for the info, guys. Username, any trouble with maintenance? I'd prefer not stock up on three years worth of break pads and oil filters if I can help it.

10. Dec 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Ya...but hopefully you won't have any issues. I broke a transmission and back then (new model year of taco) there was no aftermarket support so I had to rely on Toyota to get a new one. Now, you could order one stateside and have it shipped APO. Most of the common stuff you can get from the Aafes auto parts store on base, like spark plugs, belts, batteries, etc. There are a lot of stateside companies that ship to APO's too, like URD, Wheelers offroad, etc. Plus you could always PM me and I can ship you anything you need if you can't find it locally. The 1GR motor is used in a bunch of Euro spec yota's so it's not hard to find stuff outside the wire too.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  11. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    some of the new additions:
    found some cheap mirror heating foils and added them ... thanks to the thread in the DIY section ... this was easy ... all together some 20.-€....and it works like a dream!
    IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg
    Then I wanted to mount my old - but very reliable - G-map 276c...but didn't want to drill holes in the dashboard...
    I remembered another idea- think it was in the 'What have you done...' thread - and added a stainless steel plate where I could mount the GPS...

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    here the switch

and the mounting plate

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

works perfect for my needs!

13. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    I used to live over there...almost 26 years, born and raised (for the most part)...so if you need any parts or help from the US let me know...

14. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    many thanks...at the moment there are no big wishes...
    instead....hmmm...

as soon as the wallet allows it I would like to put the TRD charger in...:)

but I will keep in mind....many thanks!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  15. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Good luck with the TUV ;)

16. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    right ... this is going to be a challenge...:evil:

but (now it comes...:)...)

I am working since 24 years for the TÜVs competition for a company called DEKRA...and we have got a testing facility nearby the Lausitz Ring with a dynanometer and emission testing (i.e. Porsche uses that)...officially it will be some 1.000.-€ to get the engine including the charger tested and certified...
    :luvya:

then

my diving buddy and fellow student works for the TÜV...but it wasn't easy to get the Taco without alterations on the road...things are damn difficult in the meantime...:(

and

well...I can't drive arount without the engine being certified because in case of an accident I would loose the insurance and due to my profession (vehicle expert) I can't exuse with '...sorry...I didn't know that'...:argue:

you see: no advantage without disadvantage...:cool:

17. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    I know DEKRA as well...I still got pulled over and was gifted with multiple "points" by the Autobahn Polizei...they didn't like my Subaru STI back then

18. Dec 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    :burnrubber:
    I got more speeding tickets the past 6 years working in South Africa than my whole (drivers) life befor in Germany...:mad:

By the way: did you know that the 2014 cuts off at 185km/h?

I was pretty much astonished when I realized that and it took me a while until I remembered that my tires are 'T' (190km) tires...and now I am struggling to get 285/75R16 in T...the highest I can get here are 'Q' index...

19. Dec 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    The fastest I ever did in my taco was 85mph (137km/h) for 2 minutes...fuel economy isn't the best above 70mph

20. Dec 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    absolutely right...all in all I am driving much slower than with my Defender Td5 (which I raised to 200HP)...
    But the Taco V6 makes much more fun...and 12,5l/100km isn't too bad over the first 7.000km...and the Landy took 14l/100km Diesel...

I love the look of the drivers when I am still in their back on the Autobahn at 170km/h...
    but
    as nobody here knows the Tacos abilities most of the drivers think 'another snail-slow' truck...and sometimes this is pretty much bothersome...

Products Discussed in

To Top