1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another sleeping platform (stow-able w/ storage under it)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crazy joker, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sep 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    crazy joker

crazy joker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
    I just finished this, and I thought I'd share what I came up with in case anyone else can use any of my ideas. I hope it helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made it strong with 3/4" plywood, because I'm kind of heavy.:eek: It took 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood and 1 piece of 2x10x8' for the platform and 1 sheet of 1/2" plywood for the drawer (and of course nails, screws, and glue). The camper is the tall leer 180 (I think it's called that), so there should be plenty of room. I have a 5" thick foam mattress that will be used with it. As you can see from the pictures below, it comes apart for easy storage. It is made up of 4 pieces and the drawer that interlock into place and, when removed, all fit under the camper shell and out of the way when not in use. I may add another drawer in the future, but I'm not sure yet. I'll try this out for a while first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    Looks cool. Wanting to build a similar set up. Going on a road trip in October and I want to be able lay down in the bed while the wife drives

3. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What keeps the drawers from tipping when fully extended and loaded ?

Is the platform anchored down ?

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    crazy joker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    I'm thinking heavier stuff up front. I haven't used it yet, but the tailgate holds it well when extended and empty. It's not anchored down at all. It should be fine, but I will do something about it if it is a problem. Completely untested at this point.

5. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Its clean! My dad has a similar set but he put 2 layers of carpet padding and stapeled a fabric overit. his is metal and lockable.
    No doubt its clean id like to have a setup for some of my tools and shit., like this as well but when i put the bikes in the back i don't want to have to take all of it out just for a track run or day trip.

My shortbed sucks for sleeping in with the tailgate closed. I stand 6ft. Tailgate open fine; closed nah.

6. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    crazy joker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Thanks guys! We'll see how it works. Can't wait to test it out here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/so...oad-tacoma-world-benefit-october-3rd-5th.html

7. Sep 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    looks good, i might copy you if i can find a shell, taco parts are impossible to find

8. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Looks good

I'm hatching a plan for a drawer system myself

9. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    crazy joker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Update:
    If you like having head room, you may want to reconsider the platform idea. I've used mine a couple nights now, and I really hate how low the ceiling has become. I won't be using it for the trip this weekend, as I'm traveling alone. The back seat is the next best place for all the luggage and crap.

10. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    Check out this guy's setup:

http://www.desktodirtbag.com/pickup-truck-camping/

11. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    crazy joker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Great read. Thank you.

12. Nov 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    crazy joker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    I'm not going to keep it. If anyone local wants it, it's yours. I'll offer it up in the NC thread as well. Now for plan B. I'm thinking a side storage system.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top