Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question for those of you with blacked out emblems

Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
philipcruz1 is on a distinguished road

philipcruz1's Tacoma Gallery
Question for those of you with blacked out emblems

Guys,

I plasti-dipped all of my emblems with like 5 coats and yet it would give me issues when I washed it. It would peel off!

What is the best way to give them a permanent flat black color? Im thinking spray paint but id rather have it done a little more legit since its a new truck.

Any ideas?:con fused:
Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
LET IT EAT®
SLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SLOBRA's Tacoma Gallery
I plasti dipped mine and have washed the shit out of it, no peeling. Maybe redo and clean more before application? Besides buying the Pro emblems (not sure if you can without a VIN) you might remove them and paint/clear coat them.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Do you recommend removing the emblems before plasti dipping it?

How did you plasti dip yours?

Im just afraid of removing them emblems and putting them back on and them not being perfectly straight.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
tape around the emblems, then remove them
Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipcruz1 View Post
Do you recommend removing the emblems before plasti dipping it?

How did you plasti dip yours?

Im just afraid of removing them emblems and putting them back on and them not being perfectly straight.
I didn't remove mine. Put blue painter's tape about 2" around emblems and sprayed 4 coats. I had just waxed mine too along with the emblems. It's been on there almost 2 years now and still looks the same as when I did it.

I wouldn't remove them unless you are rattle canning them. If you do then use the painter's tape to mark the location of them emblems before you take them off. Mark at least two sides.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will the Thrill
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine last year and i had no problems with it peeling. I decided to redo them a couple days ago cause I was bored.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
ssilence is on a distinguished road
ssilence's Tacoma Gallery
I am planning to do this to mine soon. What do you guy recommend as a good cleaner for the emblems before doing this?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
I cleaned mine really good (even used a Q-tip) with rub bin alcohol. Went slow used really light, even coats and haven't had issues since. Been on there for 18-22ish months.

If you remove them, use painter's tape and make a box along all the edges. That will guarantee they line up the same when you go to put them back on.

Like this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...tallation.html
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
muddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddog67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
muddog67's Tacoma Gallery
Go to youtube and search Plastie dipp emblems . Thats how I learned .
Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #11

thanks guys
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
dontaco is on a distinguished road
dontaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tested a few different plastidip products and they all act different. Some are labeled easy to peel etc. if you tape too close to your emblems, it's both a pain in the ass, and harder to peel the excess off after. Just make sure they are really clean especially in the corners. Use a q-tip for the corners. Peel excess paint inside the letters with a toothpick. As long as you put at Lear four solid coats on all extra paint peels like a charm. Took about an hour or so to do all mine and no problems washing. Hope that helps.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
dontaco is on a distinguished road
dontaco's Tacoma Gallery
Lear = least. Should add that I left at least a 1" gap between the tape and the emblems. Gives more meat to peel off more easily.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
How are you washing it? Can't use high pressure on plastidip.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
pruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shedpruchai is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pruchai's Tacoma Gallery
So, there is apparently a Plastidip product called glossifier. Its a clear coat for plastidip. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaUEHmMcAQc
Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #16
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruchai View Post
So, there is apparently a Plastidip product called glossifier. Its a clear coat for plastidip. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaUEHmMcAQc
Yes, Used it on my rims on my Civic. Plastiderp stays on decent until I hit it with a powerwaser. The clear helped.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
J1Time is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
J1Time's Tacoma Gallery
Rubbing alcohol for sure to prep.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
quackenoften is on a distinguished road
Name: josh
quackenoften's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a permenant black out emblem.

First remove your emblem then soak it in bleach for a couple days. Change the bleach every so often. It will remove the chrome from the plastic.

Then just sand with 1000, wipe clean with acetone or alcohol. And plastic primer before painting.

Did this on all four of my mazdas. Works great resists chipping. Very permenant even with this liquid salt they put on the roads in n.e. Pa.