Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Let's talk OEM skidplates

Old 09-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Let's talk OEM skidplates

I have a 2014 PreRunner TRD Off Road ... image 1 ... as I was painting the lower valance this afternoon I thought I would hit the hooks and plate as well ... pictures later.

I have seen others with a more visible plate ... see 2 & 3 ...

Is there a reason in the different placements or is it the plates?

I prefer the less visible myself.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
mshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shedmshultz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
mshultz's Tacoma Gallery
The gray plate is the optional TRD front skid plate. I bought one. The black splash shield is underneath. It is not a skid plate. The TRD plate is 1/8" aluminum. It should be sufficient to protect against groundhogs and other small furry animals.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The gray plate is the optional TRD front skid plate. I bought one. The black splash shield is underneath. It is not a skid plate. The TRD plate is 1/8" aluminum. It should be sufficient to protect against groundhogs and other small furry animals.

Thanks ... I 'm good with that.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Lv4Tacos is on a distinguished road
Name: Pat
Lv4Tacos's Tacoma Gallery
I also prefer the look of the standard splash shield, but as mshultz indicates it provides little protection when off road.

I need to do some research to find out if anyone makes a front skid plate that's not so visible as the TRD one.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
SteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
I have the bullet proof skid plate. It's 1/8th inch steel and looks a lot like the OEM one just stronger. Search Matt123 skid on here to find out more information.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
ThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThomasMore66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I have the bullet proof skid plate. It's 1/8th inch steel and looks a lot like the OEM one just stronger. Search Matt123 skid on here to find out more information.
How did you mount your LED's behind the lower grill? I want to put some fogs right there and I'm researching how others did it. I have a 20" single row behind my upper grill that I mounted with a BAMF BTG bar. Works perfect and is rock solid.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
North222 is on a distinguished road
North222's Tacoma Gallery
I recently installed plates built by RCI (see link). They're very well built and sit back a bit from the front bumper. They're very substantial and should offer great protection. I'm very happy with them. They come in different colors but I just got the raw aluminum version.

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/2005-Tacoma_c14.htm
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
All Pelfreybilt skids here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMore66 View Post
Do you have to remove to service the truck?
Are you talking about oil changes?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Hartford has a spectacular aura aboutHartford has a spectacular aura about
Hartford's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have to remove to service the truck?
This is for an ato after market skid only.

If you are talking about oil changes then the answer is no, at least for the four cylinder. There is a hole in the skid to access the oil pan that will work on V6 and I4. I don't know where the V6 filter is though.

Changing front diff fluid requires removal of the skid. The front drive shaft can be greased with the skid on.

If you go with transmission and transfer skids then they have to be removed to drain those.

ETA: You have to remove the oem skid to service the front diff.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, even if you have a skid with a service port for the oil, you can buy one of these:

http://www.fumotousa.com/index.php
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Hartford has a spectacular aura aboutHartford has a spectacular aura about
Hartford's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=geekhouse23;9178239]Also, even if you have a skid with a service port for the oil, you can buy one of these:

http://www.fumotousa.com/index.php[/QUOTE]

Those are the cats ass. Put one and have done one oil change with it. I don't ever want a vehicle without one now. Just slip foot long piece of 3/8 tubing on it and crack open the valve.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
DCSBORFTMFW

Quote:
That's pretty cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford View Post

Those are the cats ass. Put one and have done one oil change with it. I don't ever want a vehicle without one now. Just slip foot long piece of 3/8 tubing on it and crack open the valve.
Still have to put mine on I got my last free stealership oil change and have to change weights (10W to 5W for the winter). Can't wait to put this on! I will actually look forward to changing my oil now! No more mess!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford View Post

Those are the cats ass.
can't say I have heard that one before.