Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2wd in snow

Old 09-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Silvertoyota will become famous soon enough

Name: Braeden
Silvertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
2wd in snow

Hi, I have a 2007 access cab trd off road, I didn't get a 4x4 seeing as how I live in Texas and won't be facing snow or ice very often. I was wondering how well the truck will do in the ice? (If we get any) thanks!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Thegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThegenerik1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Erik
Thegenerik1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertoyota View Post
Hi, I have a 2007 access cab trd off road, I didn't get a 4x4 seeing as how I live in Texas and won't be facing snow or ice very often. I was wondering how well the truck will do in the ice? (If we get any) thanks!
You ever play super Mario cart? Yep it's like that.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
adamr94 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
adamr94's Tacoma Gallery
given that it's still RWD, it's gonna act similar to a car. however, the trd off-road does have a locker... so that may help get you a little more traction than a normal rwd system
Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
It will be difficult but is do-able with good snow tires and/or snow chains
Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
scubadiver is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
scubadiver's Tacoma Gallery
When I had a 2wd 3/4 ton I used to put some weight in the bed over the axle. Seemed to help.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr94 View Post
given that it's still RWD, it's gonna act similar to a car. however, the trd off-road does have a locker... so that may help get you a little more traction than a normal rwd system
Thanks, I guess I'll figure it out when it's time to cross the bridge!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
No better than a 4x4 on ice.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
TnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TnShooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
It will be difficult but is do-able with good snow tires and/or snow chains
This.

Expect tire spin and use your locker.
Weight helps a lot in the bed.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Weight in the bed will help.
Glare ice is a crap shoot no matter what you're driving. If you have to be out in it watch the cars ahead, if they start sliding, look out. Also beware of "black ice" different but just as slippery, nearly invisible, and possible in TX.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pool Runner's Tacoma Gallery
If it's worth anything, I once drove over the Summit in the Tahoe area during a blizzard with my old '05 Dodge, Ram, Cummins Diesel 4x4, in 2wd just to see if I actually could. I had new BFG AT's on it at all four corners at the time, and only had a problem if I came to a dead stop on a hill, but even then, the BFG AT's provided enough grip to get the truck moving again.

I could have easily left it in 2wd and been fine, but 4wd provided much, much more assurance. I also had the factory limited slip in that truck, which was just ok, but not fantastic.

As far as the Tacoma, you are going to need to get some better tires. There's a video on YouTube put out by continental tires I think, that shows a 2wd car, with dedicated snow tires outperforming an AWD car with all-season rubber.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
(.)(.)
outdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to behold

outdoorgb's Tacoma Gallery
Bought my first 4x4 this year at the age of 51...
I am a master at putting on and using chains...they work great and have used them on all vehicles since 1978..

Why then did I pay $31000 for a new truck? Someone stole my chains out of my 2006 Tacoma last year and I had to walk home from work during the one day Portland gets snow...

well, that and I made a shit load of money the past few years...

Chaining a truck/car is just fine...
Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnShooter View Post
This.

Expect tire spin and use your locker.
Weight helps a lot in the bed.
I have a handful of tractor weights ready to be thrown in the back, about 150 a piece.. That should be enough weight haha
Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Spaghettiohead's Tacoma Gallery
And for Pete's sake. Please take it slow! I lived in S. Texas for four years and good lord those Texans lose their minds on ice. They think you can barrel down I-37 at 70 in a 2WD pickup :-O drove through that ice storm back in 2011 from Corpus to San Antonio. Took me 10 hours but I made it. Every truck that blew by me I came across a few miles later upside down in the ditch.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
Poe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Poe's Tacoma Gallery
Drifting weather
Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
steeds is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
steeds's Tacoma Gallery
i guess it is reasonable considering you never see snow…but it's fucking useless! do not consider it.
but realistically no truck is nice on ice..even in fwd…but if you are concerned…buy a subaru AWD…will never regret
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Any vehicle sucks on ice, the difference is in the tires , a 2 wheel drive truck with snow/ice tires will drive like a tank compared to a 2 wheel drive truck with mud tires or highway tires or all season tires.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #17
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pool Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettiohead View Post
And for Pete's sake. Please take it slow! I lived in S. Texas for four years and good lord those Texans lose their minds on ice. They think you can barrel down I-37 at 70 in a 2WD pickup :-O drove through that ice storm back in 2011 from Corpus to San Antonio. Took me 10 hours but I made it. Every truck that blew by me I came across a few miles later upside down in the ditch.
It's a story for another day, but one of the best inventions ever for a modern car is the hill decent control. Have a story how this feature helped me avoid a 6-7 car pileup in my (sold) '13 Ford F-150, FX4, EcoBoost.

Basically I was on the highway, during a snow/ ice storm, came around a corner that was all black ice. Every car/ truck & SUV in front of me starts to spinout and slide all over the place, some start crashing. The corner was an off camber embankment and as soon as my $52K truck hit the ice I felt it rotate. With my foot on the brake and trying my best to ABS steer through it. I hit the hill-decent control button on the dash and the the truck literally took over the control of the slide/ skid and rolled right through unscathed, allowing me to completely avoid the accidents and skidding cars.

I know the feature is really designed for descending steep inclines and grades off-road, but it worked amazing when driving through this extremely dangerous situation. I hope the Toyota version works as well in this regard.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!
TacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoGlenn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoGlenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
When I had a 2wd 3/4 ton I used to put some weight in the bed over the axle. Seemed to help.
Ditto on the weight over the axle, I used to use bags of sand in my old Chevy 1/2 ton- weight plus traction material in one.

I now also have a Taco 2wd AC and live in snow country; I'm going to both extremes- staying with stock Dunlops for mpgs in non-snow conditions, carrying chains for snow.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #20
LET IT EAT®
SLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shedSLOBRA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SLOBRA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
It's a story for another day, but one of the best inventions ever for a modern car is the hill decent control. Have a story how this feature helped me avoid a 6-7 car pileup in my (sold) '13 Ford F-150, FX4, EcoBoost.

Basically I was on the highway, during a snow/ ice storm, came around a corner that was all black ice. Every car/ truck & SUV in front of me starts to spinout and slide all over the place, some start crashing. The corner was an off camber embankment and as soon as my $52K truck hit the ice I felt it rotate. With my foot on the brake and trying my best to ABS steer through it. I hit the hill-decent control button on the dash and the the truck literally took over the control of the slide/ skid and rolled right through unscathed, allowing me to completely avoid the accidents and skidding cars.

I know the feature is really designed for descending steep inclines and grades off-road, but it worked amazing when driving through this extremely dangerous situation. I hope the Toyota version works as well in this regard.
I can't speak for speeds over 5mph but I used it on a downhill sheet of ice with a sharp turn in the middle and couldn't believe it, 100% steering control. Without it I would have surely locked up the brakes and it would have been bad. To get UP the hill took many attempts, eventually using momentum and dangerous speed to make it. To give you an idea of the grade I stopped on the way up several times and started accelerating BACKWARDS quickly with all 4 tires spinning forwards. I think it only works in 4 LO, however, so it may be useless on the highway.