1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many have a Clear Bra, or some other sort of front end armor?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pool Runner, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sep 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    I feel silly asking this, as after all this is a truck right. When I was on the F-150 forums, I was surprised how popular getting a clear protective film, or clear bra was for those trucks. Seemed like more people had it than not, and truthfully in hind sight I wish I would have got one for my FX4, as in just 1.5 years the painted bumper and grill surround, also headlights where pitted and chipped.

Well I just traded my 2014, PreRunner, base, which had the black textured bumpers and fenders. It had some chips in the front, but you could not tell unless you got your nose up to it, and knew what you were looking for.

My new Off-Road has the full color match bumpers and chrome grille (Hope to change to a color matched grill soon) but I was wondering if I should get the front covered in that protective film or not. Part of me says just screw it, it's not a Ferrari or a museum piece, it's truck.

At the very least, I was thinking of getting that Lamin-X headlight film, as it greatly reduces the yellowing effect composite headlight housing get over time.

2. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Rosscopeeko Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    My truck has it. It's taken a lot of rocks and looks a little rough, but it's protected the paint for sure.

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    What's the cost to do this run on a Tacoma? Thinking about just doing the bumper, headlights & fogs, and possibly my grille surround.

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    sodoscott

sodoscott Well-Known Member

Member:
    south california
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma trd off road mid-travel
    kingshocks, total chaos
    Because ford paint is cheap lol

5. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    John taco

John taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT - Johnny
    King of Prussia PA
    I have a COMPLETE front end 3m paint protector, front bumper,grill surrounding, fender serction and side flare, hood strip and scoop, side mirrors, and also head light and fog light.

The kit cost me about $200shipped and I installed it my self. Took over 5-6hours, getting the curves are hell. Also has a 5 year warranty.

6. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    John taco

Member:
    First Name:
    JT - Johnny
    King of Prussia PA
    A2A94862-B597-45BE-9E58-91E9D78C1E88_zps_9a0c5ea73ad055643396d9c0db3588c0eade1efc.jpg

Plus the grill surrounding and headlight/fog lights not in pic.

Question should be.. How long have you guys had the film on for and is it lasting? Any yellowish fading?

7. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Any special tools for the job?

8. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    whonoez

whonoez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    3"lift, Monster XD w/ 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Blacked out emblems, tinted front windows, BHLM
    I have it on one of my Infiniti's and my friend has it on his. It has helped a lot but it also depends on who installs it. No fading so far and it's been about 2 years having it on. Like I said it depends on who installs it and the what type of material is being used. Not sure how much I paid because windows were tinted at the same time. No more than $1000 for each car tho.

9. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    yaapp

yaapp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    URD CAI front: Fox 2.5 w/ reservoir 700lbs coil Camburg UniBall Rear: 2.5 w/ reservoir
    My friend swears by it. For some reason I can't seem to get the nerve to cough it up.

I was quoted $ 650 installed in San Mateo for the 3M. It was to do the the front end, door trim, headlights, and side mirrors.

10. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    whonoez

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    3"lift, Monster XD w/ 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Blacked out emblems, tinted front windows, BHLM
    That sounds about right but I paid about $750 for the clear bra and tint, but that was a hookup price because of the referrals that I sent him. He tinted all windows

11. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Sgt Jmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    3" Revtech, Undercover flex.
    I'm new here, but I have been around the automotive industry a long time. I have seen this product gain in popularity in recent years. It is a heck of a lot better than the older, black vinyl bra's that used to be sold in the 90's. Those have to be taken off at least once a month and cleaned, clean the car and reinstalled. If not, then that dirt/leaf/sticks/small gravel crap builds up and you end up ruining the front of the car worse than a few rock chips.

The older 3M used to yellow. People don't understand that this stuff is still going to be damaged by the sun and they don't use wax to protect the film. But when yo udo use wax on the car, you usually end up with the wax build up on the edges. Simply use a small wooden dowel and a rag to go around the edges and remove the wax after you put it on the car.

I would highly recommend getting as much protection as possible. I would even suggest getting a bug guard for the front of the hood, but that is my opinion.

There are a ton of kits out there, and they are all cut differently. My main gripe is the ones that are just about 1/8th" short. I prefer the ones that actually wrap around the body piece edges, to give total protection. If you have patience, you can install these yourself, you just need to wash, clay, seal and then wax your car, and if possible, do this in a clean garage. Every little piece of dust will show up and you will have bubbles. I also suggest doing this as soon as possible, because if you already have a rock chip, then there will be a white bubble under the mask, and it looks bad, and gets worse over time. If you do have some chips already, get them filled or air brushed, then prep the surface as I said before, then apply. Be sure to use plenty of water so you can move it around to put it in the exact spot needed. You can/should cut little slits/wedges when applying this on super curvy areas, like the inside of the hood scoop. This will allow the vinyl to relax and lay down nicely.

12. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    There are a few spray on applications. I have not had the opportunity to use them myself to see how they hold up over time. I have seen a couple of cars with this on when it was freshly done. Again, I have seen this done poorly, as well as professionally. You need to use tape for straight lines. The good thing about the spray on is that it is inexpensive, so you can scrape it off after a while and re-apply.

I am thinking about using the spray on product on the inside of my doors so I don't have to worry about boot/shoe scuffs.

13. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    Only thing needed is the squeegee, spray bottle for water and a sharp exacto knife. Oh, and a lot of patience. Be sure to clean the surface and install this in the clean garage if possible.

14. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B

Depending on where you go, they usually have some sort of warranty. Every dealership I worked at that installed this would warranty for at least ten years, some for life. but that varies by dealership. One would even replace a piece if it was damaged if you were to hit something and mar it up really bad. They would also replace it if rocks would chip it. And believe me, I have seen some of this film take abuse but still protect the paint.

15. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    John taco

Member:
    First Name:
    JT - Johnny
    King of Prussia PA
    +1

Defiantly get the edges tight as hell or over time dirt gets in and will F the edge up.

Sgt seems to know exactly what's he's talking about, he spoke for me.

16. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    A friend of mine had this done on a new at the time C6 Corvette, he pulled it off a year or so later to do some body work and found about a dozen tiny exacto knife hatches in his finish, was absolutely livid. I know I would be, what exactly is the knife for, if the material is cut to the shape of the truck?

17. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    John taco

Member:
    First Name:
    JT - Johnny
    King of Prussia PA
    I have a PFF file from 3m direct (given to me when I purchased my kit) with instruction and tips how to properly install and care for the film if anyone wants it.

18. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Heres a product, that may or may not be worth a damn. Magnetic bra? Might offer some temporary protection, for road trips and such, perhaps following others on off-road trails where rocks are thrown up.

Not bad for $50 but I don't know anything else about it.

http://www.magnetbra.com/order_a_bra.php#Toyota

19. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    John taco

Member:
    First Name:
    JT - Johnny
    King of Prussia PA
    Well that would only be good for the hood.

20. Sep 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM
    whonoez

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Very true

Products Discussed in

To Top