1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Tank Armor

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lateralus, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    where at in town do you live? I hate shit like this! You feel so helpless when it happens to you. That's how I felt two years ago when my truck was broken into and my brand new pioneer double din (barely 2 months old) was stolen and my dash was torn apart and then again 3 months ago when my wifes Rav4 was broken into and they stole our oakleys and garage door opener. When I filed the report the cops said that heroin is making a comeback here and now tweekers are stealing whatever they can to get a fix. I'm located in North town by the DMV off Decatur,

2. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    teamcurtis

teamcurtis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    285/75/16, snugtop xtravision, pop-lock
    why wouldn't they just syphon it like a normal tweeker?

yeah... do NOT put JB weld on your tank. Get a new one or have it professionally patched.

3. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Lateralus

Lateralus [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Off Road
    Too many to list..
    It's the feeling of being violated that has me the most ticked off. Okay you got my gas screw you guys... But to drill a hole in my tank.. That's just takes it to a whole other leave.

Now I'm out $500 (Insurance Deductible) plus the time my truck will be in the shop.. Going in today...

And yes I am up on the north side as well.. Decatur and Farm RD..

4. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    Lateralus

Lateralus [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Off Road
    Too many to list..
    I'm not going to do the JB Weld thing.. I do take the truck off road and I would never feel safe in that environment with a bandaged gas tank..

Now I got some Pelfreybilt armor heading to the house. Hope that will at least discourage something like this happening in the future.

5. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    That's not far from me. That cops told me that the tweekers usually hang out at the Wal-Mart and you can tell who they are because most of them ride around on BMX bikes with backpacks. And I know what you mean about being violated, such a horrible feeling because there's not one damn thing you can do about it. After the Rav4 was broken into I put a Viper remote start alarm on it (already have it on the truck) and I put up motion sensored lights above the garage. If anyone comes within 25ft of our cars/driveway they turn on. Next is some security cameras I found on Amazon. $200-$300 gets you 4 cameras with night vision and the reciever they record on

6. Sep 22, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    I too was thinking of Kevlar, maybe enveloping most or all of the tank; it should handle any heat as well according to the Tech. Report (See Sect.2): http://www2.dupont.com/Kevlar/en_US/assets/downloads/KEVLAR_Technical_Guide.pdf

7. Sep 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Kevlar wont work. You can stick a sharp knife through Kevlar chaps and even a Kevlar vest. I run a chainsaw professionally and room mate is law enforcement, so I'm very familiar with both items. You need something solid for this, kevlar is a bunch if fibers woven together.

8. Sep 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    wb880

wb880 Member

Member:
    Hey,

LE in Las Vegas here. I wanted to let you guys know that we are seeing a lot more theft, robberies, and vehicle crimes within the last 6 months or so. A lot of the dirtbags are going to the nice areas of town, or the outer north, west, and northwest areas for easy targets. Further out for home break-ins.

On the vehicles they will try to take anything that is not bolted down, if they can't take it they screw it up. I have heard from patrol that catalytic converter theft is going up again (lifted vehicles are usually hit the hardest since we gave them east access).

The gas tank thing has me scratching my head though, as it appears pretty rare. Probably a lowlife or kid in you neighbor hood somewhere that has been casing your place or vehicle, since it takes time to drain a tank and they had to know how long you vehicle would be there.

Best thing to do is leave a small gas can out (cheap one from walmart) and fill it with 1/2 diesel and 1/2 gas. When you see a vehicle smoking pretty bad in the neighborhood, you know who took your gas can;), and is most likely the one that hit your tank (that is just guessing).

Watch out in parking lots, more and more robberies are happening and the news is very slow to report it, for political reasons. Usually a guy comes up to a female with a large purse or kid(s) and flashes a gun and takes what they want. They are usually in summerlin, but if is fanning out to the centennial area, and the shopping areas around Decatur and 215/ north 5th and 215. They usually hangout in cars in the parking lots pretend to talk on the phone until they see an east mark. They will also go after male or female if your hands are full of a bunch of crap/ you are distracted.

This is the usual pattern we are seeing right now. It will get worse as we get closer to the holidays.

9. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Good info to know! The wife and I tend to do a bit of shopping in the Centennial Hills area and occasionaly in Decatur/215 area. Mainly food shopping. I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs. The people that go their annoy and iritate me. Plus, I don't do well in large crowds. I'd rather go to Target and spend the extra money.

10. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC

Products Discussed in

To Top