Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

05 transmission question

Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
scott c is on a distinguished road
scott c's Tacoma Gallery
05 transmission question

Last weekend my son and I bought a 2005 Tacoma 4x4. During the test drive, I noticed, when 'punching' the gas, the transmission seemed to rev high, but we did not accelerate quickly - it was like the back wheels spun - but I do not think this happened. I'd like to know if anyone is aware of transmission problems (auto) like this. I'm not sure it's a problem at this time, as my son is off at school and has the truck. I will test this again during Christmas holidays. Just inquiring to see if anyone else has felt this type of problem.

thanks,

Scott
Old 12-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
How fast were you going and what gear (best estimate) were you in? The 2005+ Tacoma auto transmission is designed to simulate a manual trans shift pattern.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott c View Post
when 'punching' the gas, the transmission seemed to rev high, but we did not accelerate quickly - it was like the back wheels spun - but I do not think this happened. Scott
Could it be the (LSD) Limited Slip Differential doing its job?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
scott c is on a distinguished road
scott c's Tacoma Gallery
Good thought on the LSD! Perhaps. I was going very slow, less than 20, stepped on the gas, there was immediate torque which could be felt, then the higher rev's, and noticed the torque reduced.

How does the LSD work, in general... if it detects the wheels spinning, doe the transmission dis-enguage?

Thanks

sc
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott c View Post
How does the LSD work, in general... if it detects the wheels spinning, doe the transmission dis-enguage?
If I had the time, I'd bore you to death. Check this out; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
Old 12-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
i don't seem to have that issue i also have an '05
Old 12-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to find out is to go to a Dealler and ask to test one new . If you see the same behavior??? then you have your answer. This truck does have the first gear litlle bit shorth. But once you start to move , dont be surprise to find your self cruissing at 32-35 Mph in fifth gear. Good luck with your decission
Old 08-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
PinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Luke
PinkTaco69's Tacoma Gallery
Do you still have the issue?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTaco69 View Post
Do you still have the issue?
His last activity on the forum was in 2007.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
PinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Luke
PinkTaco69's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I know. I went back to the first page and commented on the oldest dead post.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTaco69 View Post
Haha I know. I went back to the first page and commented on the oldest dead post.
Living in the past?