Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tips for using 3m wrap

Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Tips for using 3m wrap

I have some 3m wrap that I tried using to wrap some interior pieces. I tried it once and it didn't work at all! Now that I have a heat gun I was gonna give it another shot. Any other tips other than heat gun, stretch it, and patience? lol
Old 09-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
I have some 3m wrap that I tried using to wrap some interior pieces. I tried it once and it didn't work at all! Now that I have a heat gun I was gonna give it another shot. Any other tips other than heat gun, stretch it, and patience? lol

You answered your own question: heat gun and patience.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
You answered your own question: heat gun and patience.
Lol, just checking to see if anyone else had anymore tips
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
lost then found
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Lay the vinyl loose. If it is 3M conform, it has tiny alligator ridges on the back to allow air to escape while laying it. The only time to use the heat gun is if you screw up....pull the vinyl up with a quick jerk....hold loosely and warm with heat until vinyl returns to original shape. You can also use the heat to set the vinyl one it is in correct position. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
lost then found
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Denatured alcohol spray will make vinyl attack quicker. Yell if u have any questions or need help.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Pool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPool Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pool Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, what areas are you trying to wrap inside of the truck.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
3M makes an adhesion promoter for plastics that helps hold it down on tight corners/edges/curves/etc. I used their carbon fiber version on my stereo surround, climate control surround and the door switch panels. I had it on my cup holder but I dinged it up pretty bad so I took it off and painted it with black Fusion paint.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #9

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
Just curious, what areas are you trying to wrap inside of the truck.
Overhead console. Would like to do the center console shift piece, radio surround, the window switch bezels, climate control plate, and the dash kit once I get it and put in a double din. I tried the overhead console piece and had it going well but then the area where the temp gauge is, i was doing that beveled edge and it tore and I don't have enough left to redo it. Have to order some more. I tried the window bezel once but it was such a pain to get in the grooves of where the switches are. That time I didn't have a heat gun though so it may be a little easier when I try it again. Probably just a lot of trial and error and patience
Old 09-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajatacoma View Post
3M makes an adhesion promoter for plastics that helps hold it down on tight corners/edges/curves/etc. I used their carbon fiber version on my stereo surround, climate control surround and the door switch panels. I had it on my cup holder but I dinged it up pretty bad so I took it off and painted it with black Fusion paint.
Did you use that with the 3m wrap? The carbon fiber wrap is thick, buy maybe all wraps are cause I've never used it before.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #11

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajatacoma View Post
I did my ac surround and it came out perfect. I tried the overhead console and it ripped mid process. I had enough left over to do the passenger door switch panel and it came out...ok... Just having problems contouring it to the shape of the ridges around the window switch. I ordered some more and it should be in on saturday. Gonna try and do the radio surround again along with the overhead console and driver side switch panel. You have any pictures of yours?