1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting reading for a supercharger

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by s810, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sep 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    s810

s810 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab Sport V6
    skid plate, side steps, bed extender, dynamat, supercharger, Clazzio seat covers
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a supercharger for my 2011 Tacoma. What other mods should I have done at the same time?

Is having the cold air intake and cat-back exhaust systems installed at the same time worthwhile?

2. Sep 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I went in with the intake, catback, and headers already on.

3. Sep 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    upgrade your fuel pump or sometime in the near future. I ran mine for about 8mo before I decided to upgrade. It was only an issue when you really want to get into it for an extended length of time, the stock pump couldn't keep up.
    My first thought was the issue could be the tune on the module I am running as it was 2nd hand but it did turn out to be the pump not adequate for the demand.

4. Sep 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    URD stealth pulley, walbro fuel pump

5. Sep 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Nothing really has to be done at the same time. I had the TRD CAT back before the S/C. Upgrading the fuel pump is a great second mod, or so my research on this forum tells me and I am inclined to heed those with more knowledge on this subject than I. A CAI and a smaller pulley are usually next, but of course that depends on your expected gains and intended use of the truck. Overall, I would suggest a fuel pump upgrade. Thats next on my list.

6. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I forgot the obvious........... fuel pump.

the stocker dies out when under high demand

7. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Used tires for burnout videos! :burnrubber:

8. Sep 29, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    s810

s810 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab Sport V6
    skid plate, side steps, bed extender, dynamat, supercharger, Clazzio seat covers
    Thanks everybody for your advice. I would not have thought about the fuel pump if I hadn't read about it here. I'm leaning toward getting the CAI and cat-back exhaust done at the same time as the supercharger. I might change my mind when I sit down with a calculator though. Fuel pump will definitely have to wait

9. Sep 29, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    DanoDavis

DanoDavis Alright meow

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Allen Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4x4 6-Speed V6
    1 1/2" lift with 5100's, custom exhaust, LT Headers, URD CAI, URD MAF Calibrator, Electric fan, Camper shell, retrofit projectors, and other goodies..
    Then don't do the CAI, if funds are an issue.
    The smarter route would be to do the fuel pump. Plus, at the same time, if you order the URD kit, you're killing two birds with one stone.
    The URD kit has an external fuel filter. Chances are your stock one is already dirty. That will help out in more ways than one.

Just my .02

10. Sep 29, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I have to agree here. I would upgrade the fuel pump before I get the CAI. Not enough fuel= :boom:Smart and cheap insurance IMO.

11. Sep 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Has anyone actually starved their engine of fuel after adding a supercharger?

I ask because the factory TRD s/c tune is super rich. I mean SUPER rich. To the tune of getting 15mpg and after some sort of aftermarket fuel control is added & tuned shooting up to 18-19mpg. This things run pig rich if you walk into a dealership and ask for a s/c to be installed. They do this to be on the safe side (why so far is beyond me) but it's not conducive to power making which is why you bought a s/c in the first place. I bet there's another 15hp or so left on the table that can be found in tuning available not to mention the other benefits I mentioned.

IMO it's better to add engine management. Tuning will not only net you more power but will also help your plugs and other engine components to last longer. Not that a fuel pump kit would be a bad thing to do I just don't see it as the requirement right out of the gate that some people seem to think it is. Having an auxiliary fuel pump that's easier to change is nice but it's not an oil filter we're talking about. If you have more miles on your truck, probably not a bad idea to start planning for it but with it already running pig rich, injectors not running at 100% cycle duty and factory fuel pumps that generally go 100k miles it's not something that I would put at the top of the list.

IMO knowing what your truck is doing is more important and I would suggest a wide band O2 sensor and boost gauge with that same money. You can add the former prior to your s/c to get an idea what your a/f ratio looks like before you s/c it and then you'll have a good base with which to work once you add it and see how rich it runs. Then your next step is to fix that which is engine management. This isn't cheap unfortunately and adds other aspects of potential reliability that some do or don't experience but something to keep in mind. At that point when you're able to tune you'll find that your injectors & fuel pump have to work MUCH less and therefore will have an extended life overall. Save your bucks and do a fuel pump kit after that if you feel like your fuel pump may be nearing the end of it's life anyway.

All that being said, if you budget is tight and you have enough for a s/c and a s/c only just do it. Toyota has designed it so you don't need anything not included with the kit/tune to run this upgrade. I also find it hard to believe that someone pondering a $6,000 upgrade can't afford an extra $150 for supportive parts or monitoring items. Just saying...

This idea that fuel pumps fail every 20k and always under WOT is kind of silly and a little paranoid from a guy who ALWAYS errs on the side of safety first.;)

Products Discussed in

To Top