1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hauling a motorcycle in a short bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Old Duckman, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Apr 20, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    Old Duckman

Old Duckman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Short Sport V-6 6 Spd
    Saturday I picked up a dual cab, short bed. I had gone to the dealer to order an access cab but they gave me what I considered a good price on the short bed.

I had ridden up on an 06 Ducati Monster and we pulled the bike up by the truck and I determined that it would fit but that the rear wheel would be on the tailgate.

Long story short, I have multiple bikes, most with longer wheel bases than the Monster. Did some measuring and all will fit but on some the rear axel will be past the point where the cable hooks onto the tailgate.

I was wondering what other people with DC short beds did when hauling motorcycles?

I thought about putting the front wheel into a front corner of the bed and tie the bike down in that diagonal position in the bed. Only problem I saw there was it may be difficult to get the bike out of the bed...Easier in than out I'm thinkin'.

I probably only move a bike 2 to 4 times per year so the extra passenger space is more practical than the bike moving capabilities but I'd still like to know what others do.

Any FHE appreciated.

2. Apr 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
  3. Apr 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I haul a couple of dirt bikes and one with the rear on the tailgate. However the entire bike only weighs ~240 pounds so not too much force on the tailgate. You can go diagnal in the bed but it can be a real pain to get in and out depending on the weight of the bike. I would look at beefing up the tailgate if I were you. Good luck :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Diagonal FTW!!!!!!! Its not hard to slide the rear of the bike in our beds.

DSC02728_5889a48525c1417a63c9b4c8ef81d5685b7b16b9.jpg

5. Apr 20, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    ^^ nice, what size is that?

6. Apr 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    jward2331

jward2331 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    I 4'X8' trailer is money well spent. Trips to the dump, hauling stuff for friends (yea right), getting the bike where you need it, etc....

7. Apr 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    GT_Taco

GT_Taco Newbie here

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner 4x4 Limited Metallic Gray
    5K LED interior lighting
    Nice SV650 up there.. I have an SV1000S.. question for ya.. when you load that sucker, do you ride it up into the bed? or you and a friend push it up? What year is your Taco? I assume that is a short bed? I have a long bed so I think it will actually fit in the bed...

8. Apr 20, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    Old Duckman

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanx for the links and pix.

I should have used the search...thanx for not blasting me for not doing so.

Ghost, yeah, I know of the slickness of the bed from some posts I read but since I just picked my truck up on Saturday...I haven't really experienced it myself.

I think I'll go with the aluminum checker plate on the inside of the tailgate...not the bent one , just the sheet. And the first time I load a bike on, I'll try the diagonal method and see how easy it is to slide the bike.

Thanx All.

9. Apr 20, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    Old Duckman

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I've got a friend with a motorcycle trailer that he stores at my place and I can use it when I want but I would rather put the bike in the bed than haul a trailer.

But, whatever works for ya.

10. Apr 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    It is a Suzuki SV650

I used to have it made loading the bike! At the hospital I work at I was able to back the truck up to the loading dock and just drive right on. Now I have to use ramps (the tri-fold wide kind) and it kinda sucks cause I'm afraid of falling over. I had a single ramp, one that would hinge in the middle to fold, drove up it one time like I was loading my old dirtbikes and the exhaust caught the hinge point, stalled the bike and it fell over on me. Good thing I was there to break the bikes fall. Now I ride it up the tri-fold ramp with no issues.

11. Apr 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    lukebz

lukebz Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco TRD
    no problemo...ride it up or push it up...just be careful.

Photo_081608_001.jpg

12. Apr 21, 2009 at 2:29 AM
    Old Duckman

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    A friend of mine taught me this trick.

If you have a ditch by the edge of a road, (one right in front of my house) you back up perpendicular to the road with your rear tires in the ditch.

Depending on the size of your tires and the depth of the ditch the bed of your truck will be closer to parallel with the ground.

With my old 03 Tacoma, once the rear tires were in the ditch, the bed was close to a 10 degree slope. I could walk the bike into the bed w/o a ramp, just using the tailgate as a ramp...very easy and takes the stress out of loading a bike on the truck.

I haven't tried this yet with the 09.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  13. Apr 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    That ditch trick is amazing, my mom owns a f350 and getting anything in it without the back tires in a ditch is a bitch

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  14. Apr 21, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I use two ramps and walk the bike up the ramps letting the bike do all the work. Very easy to do and you don't have to ride it up. Much better control and no fear of falling over.

A mounted bike chock is the way to go. Very secure. For that short bed, I'd put it in diagonal to keep it off the tailgate. No harm there at all.

15. May 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    2009Taco

2009Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Highlander
    quick question, is there a way to mount it without drilling any holes in the bed, either mounting it to a steel plate or bars that extend to the sides, etc?

thanks

16. May 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

The biggest concern without mounting it is that it can slide. Try removing the bike from a chock (Baxtley excluded) without it being secured. Not an easy task on a slick bed floor. I bolted mine in just so it would not move around.

I can't really picture what you are thinking about doing...:confused: I guess you could mount it to a 5/8" sheet of plywood and slide the whole thing in the bed...that would also cover the tailgate and help support it as well.

I'll get a picture of mine tonight when I load up. I'm heading up to AR tomorrow morning for a few days.

17. May 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    I uploaded pics into my gallery showing how my bike is loaded up/tied down with the bike chock installed in the bed. Not a shortbed, but you can get the idea. Only difference would be how far the rear tire sat on the tailgate. It falls perfectly on the seam of the gate/bed.

I used four tie-downs up front to distribute the weight load to different points rather than stress 2 points. The rear straps just keep things from bouncing around.

18. May 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
  19. May 19, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I Have no suggestion about how to haul it but check with your insurance company. Here when we haul a 4wheeler or bike the insurance will only cover it if you use 4 straps. Just a heads up.

20. May 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    I use 6. Better safe than sorry.

Products Discussed in

To Top