1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SOS 05-11 Hybrid issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kerleyfries, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sep 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Well I can certainly chime in on the topic since I have his skid, sliders, HC rear and Aluminum Front bumper. (I will discuss more of the product itself and not of the welds as those don't concern me. Most of these mass producers might have shitty welds but they grind the damn things down so smooth there is no weld left thus prone to easy breakage) anyway back on topic.

I was right there as he built my front bumper and the rear bumper was done when I arrived and what most people don't understand is every truck is different..every truck. My HC rear fits totally different than the same one put on another guys truck that he built it for (I know, I saw it) One might argue that it is his craftsmanship and the other might argue that it is the truck. Who is to decide this? The rears were made the same way with the same jig and the same peices were cut. That is just the way it is when you don't have CNC machines cutting your product and a machine/robot welding pieces to exact specifications. I know I can probably look at my bumpers and find minor flaws but that is to be expected when someone is building an item to fit a truck that he has never seen. If you want a guy that is building these things from scratch, cutting all the pieces, bending all the angles to make you a PERFECT bumper for YOUR truck then you have to take him YOUR truck and let him build it on YOUR truck because they all vary in some way or another. I think Eddy would be happy to rectify any problems people have with his products and I commend him for having some of the lowest prices on Armor you can find. Pretty soon he will finally have that CNC machine he has been saving up for and that will help out alot with more "perfect" cuts but honestly guys if you want something custom I reallly think that your truck will have to be in front of him to build it on it. Eddy is a hard working guy who is running all aspects of his business with welding, cutting, answering phone calls, emails from his website, PMs on TW all while taking care of his three kids and I respect him for that, don't get upset if he doesn't get back to you right away cause he is a busy guy and it might take a bit but he will get back with you. I am fully satisfied with my products and will be purchasing again from him in the future. I believe he would be more than happy fixing any issues people have as I had some concerns while I was there and he resolved them right away. All in all it is a custom item and for it to be custom completly he needs ur rig to build on period.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I think some people need to go sell their trucks and buy tuners if they get all worked up over some of this stuff.

I saw nothing in here that warranted a complaint IMHO.

You want some complaints? Go buy a Tactical Armour Group bumper... LMAO.

I think too many people buy these as "bling" instead of what their true purpose is - to use offroad while bashing shit.

It's not even side to side? Yea, well neither is your face. You want to complain about that?

Last I checked it's impossible to see both sides anyway so drop the OCD already.

You want a show quality tube bumper at cheap prices and fast... LMAO. Get in line...we all do.

3. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    I came here to post pretty much this. Between this and PSU Tacos statement everything that needs to be said has been covered.

4. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    What do people expect, really. Its armor, not jewelry

5. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    I am also an owner of products made by Eddy. I have a set of sliders that are great looking and totally functional. I also have a front plate bumper, one that was on his truck at one point.
    I have no problems with the craftsmanship of his products, and would absolutely purchase from him again.

6. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Would you please submit the xrays from a 6G test? Also a 1F and 4F plate test would be nice.

I will also take a polished and etched cross section.....

7. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    IMHO thats still no excuse for holes in welds and welds not completed, holes in welds are bad and make weak parts in welds. OP has a tube thats only welded 3/4 of the way around it.

8. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    You're right. You know what, you should go out there and snap that tube off right now and post pics. Don't worry, we'll wait...

9. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    :facepalm:

10. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    Kerleyfries

Kerleyfries [OP] Idk what the hell I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Lebanon
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 F150 and SAS ‘98 4runner
    The point of his post was that it is a weak spot, not that I could simply walk out and pop it off. Just as a previous post said that all mass manufactured bumpers have weak spots due to shitty welding and it just being ground down to look better, that doesn't mean I could walk up and snap pieces off.

11. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

SOS CONCEPTS Bumper builder

Member:
    First Name:
    SOS
    Laurens SC
    Vehicle:
    17 sos buggy, 09 taco(in pieces), 14ram 3500
    Rock bouncer
    Like I said my bad That this has happened to a couple of the 220 products i've sold in 10 months. A couple months back I saw that my lead time was starting to slack. So I hired PT help. A guy that I've welded with on the job before. Someone I thought I could trust, Have you guys never been let down before? Well I was! I've dished out funds for the two sets of sliders and the other hybrid was reshipped last week. For the missing weld part, I dont see missing weld I see lack of fusion. And If there is missing weld its because I trusted the guy I had welding and advised him to skip around to stop warping. I guess he skipped to many times

12. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    Boogyman

Boogyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle:
    BSP 06 4x4 SR5
    Fox 2.0 IFPs, superbumps, LR UCA, Walker Evans and Dakars
    I got the first 2nd gen bumper from eddy a couple months ago. Eddy knows I'll tell it to him straight because we bash on each other a lot but his stuff is awesome. I've seen other semi big companies work in person and eddys is still the best. I'm very pleased with the quality of his work and if it isn't the quality it's his ability to personally as the owner to get back to you and bend over backwards to make sure you are pleased with what you have purchased. I've sat with him in his garage and watched him personally respond to the most rediculously obviously answered questions but he still helps you out. The hybrids posted with the issues were the first ones to go out. Of course there gonna have there small flaws. He'll fix them on your bumpers and make sure it doesn't happen again on the others. He's not out to jip anyone off of screw you over. His company was started because he didn't want to pay for over priced armor to companies who aren't working on there own products. He is his own builder designer and sales person. I totally vouch that his products are second to none and he'll bust his ass to make his customers happy.

13. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Didn't you offer to replace his bumper?
    Even after paint and install?
    What more can you ask for?
    That's standing behind your work... Or even someone else's. Who let you down.

14. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

That's what being the boss entails

15. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    This ^^^^!!! Eddy is only human and if the OP has a problem then clear it up with Eddy and hey I will be ordering some bolt on sliders from eddy in the future.

16. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I seem to remember a lot of whining about the first Relentless bumpers not aligning side to side but that may have not been you but another member that quit and now all his posts are gone .

17. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    TacoLlama

TacoLlama Well-Known Member

Member:
    R.I.
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB
    I'll take that bumper off your hands.Even with pics I see nothing wrong with it.

18. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids

Me first. I'll take it ...I want to have one to swap out with my plate bumper when I get bored. Kind of like having a couple pairs of shoes.

19. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    I think if we had actual pictures of the welds on the bumpers before buying it wouldn't have been such a shock to the members that have posted here. Myself self included as well as the members who have not posted. I have three other members that ordered and were not happy with the quality they received. If they don't want to post that is there prerogative. I was one of the first to get the hybrid bumper and like others reached out to eddy about fixing the issue. I was basically told, " can you not shift it driver." When I said no the customer support ended.

These are the pictures that Eddy shows as "his welds" on the cradles.

13552a0d0bfabf4df00ee57f4a47e7f6_a04b14c234b63bba23b70c26b227b52a035e8408.jpg

636ca49215e9d33b6479d77782a4f26a_e6423edf34d931995b6092f19524e536e064083b.jpg

a7527adb75036eb05ec51192be4e4b3d_bfc1ffb0368d4177eb094130f608312d25bc5c4a.jpg

Now again the expectation was to receive welds comparable to these. What I received as well as others is far from this.

And to those that have said deal with welds with holes I have chosen to deal with it and have them repaired locally but future purchasers should know what they may or may not receive. But to say a hole in a weld is acceptable is ridiculous. It is a weak point that will can and will break on a hard impact.

Someone said to go pull it off that they will wait. While it may not break off by one person pulling it. How quickly can you assume that it won't break off with a 5,000+ truck traveling at any speed forcing it's way through it?

20. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Boogyman

Boogyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix
    Coos Bay, OR
    Vehicle:
    BSP 06 4x4 SR5
    Fox 2.0 IFPs, superbumps, LR UCA, Walker Evans and Dakars

X2

Products Discussed in